Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Beginner/freeride friendly spots with consistent winds?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
mynetself
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Breezy Point, NY
Favorite Beaches: ...
Style: Freeride + Big Air
Gear: Crossbow 13m + Crossbow 10m + Switchblade 8m

Cabrinha Prodigy 147cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Beginner/freeride friendly spots with consistent winds?

Postby mynetself » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:48 pm

Hey guys

I'm looking to go on a kitesurfing trip in mid to late February, and I'm not too sure where to go at this point.

Some background and stats... I did 4 days of lessons and went to the local spot a few times. Can self launch and land, and ride downwind, but otherwise a beginner. I slowly built my quiver (13m Crossbow LW, 10m Crossbow, 8m Switchblade), 77kg/170lbs and am looking for a spot in the Caribbean/LatAm that has consistent wind speeds that are OK for my set up.

I've looked around for ideas, and my main choice was Isla Blanca in Mexico. Problem is... the more I check the wind conditions, the less I want to go there - It seems that I'd need a bigger kite in my quiver, but that's not an option now. St Lucia seems to have the opposite problem, winds seem too strong. Other places seem very choppy/wavy, but I'm keen on freeriding and speed. And other places still seem to not have consistent winds. I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Re: Beginner/freeride friendly spots with consistent winds?

Postby TomW » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:18 pm

St Lucia is choppy. Services on beach are dismal. ( 10 years ago)
I've been researching and Splocs says Guadeloupe us good in February.
Cayman islands Eastend has massive reef protected area, same wind stats. 45% over 16 knots.
I'm going to Isla de Holbox in February with my family and wind stats are 30%
In comparison, Cumbuco has 75% in sept- October and is pretty much a wind guarantee.

I've been to Naxos Greece 3 different years and total of 60 days. Had no wind 3 days total all other days lots of wind. Wind stat is 69%.

ComeKiteWithUs
Rare Poster
Local Beach: World
Favorite Beaches: World
Style: Everything
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: www.ComeKiteWithUs.com

Postby ComeKiteWithUs » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:04 pm

Hey guys!!

Thought I would chime in, there is a spot near Holbox EL CUYO that is a micro thermal effect and gets way more wind than holbox or isla blanca. Especially during Feb-June timeframe when all the other spots die. In March to May you are just about guaranteed wind. Right now we have gone 22 days straight wind and hoping to keep that streak going for four more months. You can follow us on our facebook page for a daily windy update, if we have anyone who wants real time updates on riding conditions. Typically you are riding 10-8m kites and if you want multiple day sessions, mornings are for larger kites or foils. Once the thermal kicks in around 1pm, it starts to blow nice and strong.

I just wrote out a guide for El Cuyo and trying to spread the word about this new spot, as it gets over looked here in the Yucatan.

http://www.comekitewithus.com/blog/el-c ... avel-guide

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:15 pm

ComeKiteWithUs wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:04 pm
Hey guys!!

Thought I would chime in, there is a spot near Holbox EL CUYO
can you also ride in the flats on the other side? Looks amazing!
http://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/spot/El_Cuyo

bgpiaui
Rare Poster
Gear: MAckite

Postby bgpiaui » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Discovered this amazing spot in North East Brazil.
http://www.barragrandepiaui.com/

Barra Grande is a little paradise for kitesurfing as well as chilling out on the beach.
The fishing village is authentic, there is a real local life, the beach is huge and quiet, local people are very nice…
And of course, the wind is also very steady and consistent. Barra Grande is a remote idyllic place far from urban jungle and noise.
Kitesurfing conditions are great : at low tide, the spot is super flat and offers standing-depth water on a long distance.
The water gets really shallow near the shore though, so watch your ankles when jumping… Anyway, conditions are awesome for everyone, beginners included.
At high tide, the spot turns into a huge bump and jump area.
There are also lots of downwind opportunities and lagoons in the region (for example : La Boca, at 15 minutes downwind, super flat spot at low tide).
I really suggest you the pousada Beach Club for your stay: www.barragrandebeachclub.com

Return to “Travel”