Local Beach: Traunsee/Austria, Neusiedler See/Austria
Gear: Switchblade 2012 7qm/10qm/12qm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tipps and tricks for Taiwan mid October til mid November

Postby kathrinchenh » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Hello!

We are thinking about visiting Taiwan for kitesurfing from mid October til mid November. Is this a good time for kitesurfing? Or should we reschedule our trip to another time in the year. What equipment do we need to bring (me 75kg and my girlfriend 56kg)? Do we need a wetsuit? What are the best kite spots to visit? Are there also „flat“ water spots or are there only wave spots?

Furthermore I wanted to ask if October is also a good month for traveling Taiwan? We also want to do some „sightseeing“ and also want to explore the taiwanese culture.

Thanks in advance for every tipp :)

jan_hou
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Penghu, Taiwan
Favorite Beaches: Penghu, Taiwan

Re: Tipps and tricks for Taiwan mid October til mid November

Postby jan_hou » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:49 pm

October to Nov. is a good time to visit Taiwan for kitesurfing.

If you are good, Penghu is probably the best location in Taiwan, wind is strong and water is clean.

Check out this photo from Phillips who came from Seatle.

There are wave and flat spots around the island.

Jan

kathrinchenh
Rare Poster

Postby kathrinchenh » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Hello jan_hou! Thanks for your answer. I read a lot about Penghu. I'm not sure about Penghu. I'm afraid that the wind is too strong. I heard that the wind is often stronger than 50knts. To be honest, my comfort zone is up to 30knts. If the wind is stronger I don't enjoy riding. Then I'm too afraid to try (new) tricks.

Do you have any information about the spots in Penghu and the main island? I found less information and it seems that there is not much kite infrastructure. I don't need something fancy but one or two shops doing kite repair or selling spare parts would be great. Furthermore it's always nice to be in a community of kiters.

I also read that pollution on the main island is horrible. Is this also true for the main kitespots? Since I'm scared of waves (not choppy water but waves) I'm especially interested in spots with flat water. Would be nice if you could give me some insights :)

jan_hou
Medium Poster

Postby jan_hou » Mon May 08, 2017 2:12 am

Katherine:

I live on Penghu Island and I have Sunrise BnB specializing in kitesurfing sports.

I am happy to answer your questions to clear your doubts about Penghu.

1. Penghu is a windy place, it blows almost everyday, sometimes over 30 knots. But it is rare over 40 knots.
The wind was stronger 10 years ago when it blew over 50 knot a few times a year. Not any more.

2. Here is a link of kite scene in Penghu, my facebook group site. https://www.facebook.com/groups/4067845 ... =bookmarks

3. The water is clean on Penghu Island. No problem at our launch spots

4. If you prefer flat spots, that might be a problem. Our main spot, Longmen Beach, is a wave spot. Flat water is possible only when wind is lighter and the tide is low.

Jan

jan_hou
Medium Poster

Postby jan_hou » Mon May 08, 2017 2:26 am

Wind is up and down in Penghu. Here is the statistics from windguru.

there are no wind days (in blue), light wind days (in green) and strong wind days (orange, red and purple).

temperature is very nice, 20C-27C

Hope this is useful.

Jan

kathrinchenh
Rare Poster

Postby kathrinchenh » Sun May 14, 2017 11:34 am

@jan_hou
Thank you for your answer :-) Your photos look pretty amazing. Taiwan seems to be a really great country for traveling. And I would love to visit it. But I'm still not sure if the kiteboarding conditions are what I'm looking for. In Austria we have only lakes and I'm not used to waves. The problem is also that I'm really afraid of waves. I had a bad wipe out once and since back then I try to avoid waves as much as possible. Now I'm doing more freestyle on my kite and no more wave-kiting :-D Are there any spots which are reachable in a reasonable amount of time from your place which are a little bit protected by waves? Something behind a wave-breaker, small island? Or some shallow bank? It would be ok for me to drive around 20 minutes (one direction). On google maps it looks like there would be maybe some possibilities.
One more thing :-) when Windguru says 20knts, is it really 20knts or is the wind then stronger (due to local conditions)?
Thanks a lot. Hopefully we will see each other in October ;-)

jan_hou
Medium Poster

Postby jan_hou » Mon May 15, 2017 4:19 am

To answer your questions in short.

There are many other spots within 10 minutes scooter ride that is flat and calm like
the following video (check the mid section)

https://vimeo.com/80520264

Windguru for Penghu is accurate, when it says 20 knot, it is 20 knot.

Jan

Return to “Travel”