Rare Poster
Gear: cabrhina SB
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Playa del carmen Kite

Postby theshore » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:52 pm

Hi
we are looking to go and kite in the first week of December and with all the Hurricane going to DR / Cuba etc, we are wondering if the kite is any good in Playa del Carmen.
there seem to be a very nice beach with no hotel right after the sandos - sout-west of the hotel strip

is it a good option ?or do you suggest something else ?

we are coming from Canada, so we do not intend on doing an extra long flight since we have only 7 days

thanks

Werito
Medium Poster
Gear: kites, boards

Re: Playa del carmen Kite

Postby Werito » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:41 pm

There is kiteboarding area in south... front of playacar area if i remember right. there is also at least 2 kite schools... on their site there's pretty much all the info you need.

I would rent a car and go to isla blanca (2h drive). It's an awesome spot.

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:46 am

A 12 and a 9 should cover you nicely.
Windguru has a decent forecast for the area.

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:48 am

PS I stayed in playa mujeres which is north of Cancun and had pretty good luck. It's also 5 minutes from the lagoon of Isla Blanca.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:58 pm

I kited north of coco beach but it's a pain to get there, then I did downwinder to hotel, beach are really crowded and very narrow... I also checked out Tulum quickly.

We went a few days in isla Holbox was a lot nicer than playa del carmen. Wind was a lot better and island is magical, it's not that far, totally worth it.

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby justbob » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:03 pm

We stayed at the Dreams in Puerto Morelos last Feb. Wind was light most days, but still got in 3 nice sessions.
There was a stretch of beach next door perfect to set up on, I think it was a public portion. Lots of people on
the beach and you had to avoid the swimming areas of course. Other than that the water was choppy but fairly
flat due to reef further out.

michaljagniatkowski
Rare Poster
Local Beach: playa del carmen
Gear: wainman hawaii 12m 9m + tona pop
Been thanked: 0

Postby michaljagniatkowski » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:02 pm

i spent whole last season in playa. the beach you are referring to is indeed best spot in playa but realistically its gonna be accessible only if you are staying in one of those hotels. last year there was a kite school loosely associated with sandos so you could tell them at the gate you are going to that school, get inside and kite this awesome spot. now the school is gone, sandos has plans to expand south so im not sure how it will work this season.

2nd option is to kite from somewhere else in front of playacar (its a gated community filled with villas and all the hotels, stars south end of playa), you could get a villa in playacar phase 1 and easily walk to the beach and kite from there. the part between public beach and beach stripe thats dedicated to the hotels is exactly in front of phase 1 and gets least people. not the same experience as kiting past sandos but still a great spot and thats where i plan to kite when windy season kicks in.

and as other mentioned there are few spots around playa that are worth a trip.
isla blanca is roughtly 1.5h trip in a car, a peninsula north from cancun, the lagoon side is super nice and i remember it often being an option when playa had not so great conditions
holbox is an island located further north past cancun, requires a ferry ride and its more of a weekend destination than quick in-out mission like isla blanca can be. like it got already mentioned the island has super chilled vibe, no cars, nice restaurants, all the stuff u can expect from remote tropical island, highly recommended. shallow knee deep water and great kitting conditions
some people go to cozumel, island directly across from playa, south east side can get waves on bigger swells.
bunch of cool beaches 30min drive from playa like punta maroma or xel - ha. also tulum which is 1h drive down south has beautiful beach cool vibe and people kite there too

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:26 am

Though this thread is only a year old. I'm hoping to revive it. Looking for ideal destinations for kiting, with the package we got sending us to Cancun. Maybe we should just duck the package and go straight to Holbox sounds incredible. Any more recent thoughts on the subject or beta from somebody in the area?

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Postby Barryg101 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:06 am

Hey I'll be working in Holbox this winter season as a kite instructor . Been doing a lot of research and the spot looks incredible good wind and warm waters . I'll arrive there next month and will have much more info if needed

Return to “Travel”