Rare Poster
Gear: x
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where to travel as beginner in feb?

Postby alicia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:22 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a complete beginner, been out on the water three times now and have not even tried to go upwind etc. But I've already fallen in love and feel super determined to actually start learning this!

From the end of January till beginning of March I have time off from my studies, so I want to use this time to go to 1/2 spot(s) and just kitesurf a lot and really learn it. First I was thinking either Colombia or the Philippines, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the information on the internet. I'd prefer to go somewhere a bit more quiet, but as a beginner I guess it would be nice to have at least one good and reliable school around to still do some classes/have someone to help me? (Also, as i'm still a student I'd rather go somewhere a bit cheaper.)

Really happy to hear any recommendations about which spots (anywhere in the world) to go to with very little experience!
And all other advice for travelling alone as a beginner is much appreciated :D

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Re: Where to travel as beginner in feb?

Postby rynhardt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:49 am

Langebaan (Cape Town) should be on your short list.

Chris30
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Favorite Beaches: Bali - Sanur
Thailand - Hua Hin
Kalavarda - Rhodes/Greece
Style: Freeride / Oldschool
Gear: Boards: 2x Spleene: Session 45 (145x46 cm) & Rip 39 (139x42,5 cm)
Flysurfer Speed 4 18m & 10m

Postby Chris30 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Maybe also Hua Hin, Thailand should be worth a closer look...
Nice weather (Hot), usually steady and reliable wind, accomodations everything from cheap hostels to 5+ star Hotels.
Schools I know of: KBA (Kiteboarding Asia, with 2 or three spots along the the beach), North Kiteboarding Club.
It's relatively clean for asian towns (the King has a residence there), clean water (since a few years they have a good sewage plant) and it's touristy but more a laid back atmosphere. Bars and all but not the big party town.

Cheers

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi Alicia, there are loads of good spots around Jan-Mar time and though some will be quite busy, that isn't necessarily a bad thing as you'll have other kiters around to learn from and help you out if you have any issues. So here a few options:
  • Langebaan was suggested earlier and I'd agree. Cape Town area is amazing with super consistent wind, great kiting and loads of other stuff to try. I go to Cape Town every year and can't recommend it enough - I actually wrote a blog post about it with some tip that you might find helpful.
  • Turks and Caicos - I haven't been but I've only heard great things about the place. Beautiful island, great wind and lots of flat water, so perfect for beginners. Search around and you'll find lots of locations reports on the place.
  • Perth - depending on where you live this might be a bit of distance away but Western Oz is great for kiting at this time of year and the wind there is super smooth, not too strong and there is plenty of flat water spots and schools if you need some extra lessons.
  • Margarita, Venezuela. El Yaque is the spot on the main island but Coche is the place to stay as the wind is more consistent and the water flatter. You can also do some pretty trips to Los Roques, which is a stunning place to kite.
So there are a few ideas. thailand or Vietnam are also worth considering or some of the other Caribean islands. Generally, as a beginner, you might find it helpful to have a lesson when you first arrive just to give yourself some confidence at the new spot. Also thinking about staying in a hostel or shared house, that way you'll meet loads of other kiters and quickly find some other people to go kiting with. If you head to Langebaan/Cape Town then let us know and maybe I'll see you out there.

kitesurfcubatravel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Coco -Cayo Guillermo-Jardines del Rey-Santa Lucia ,Camaguey.
Favorite Beaches: Playa Pilar,Cayo Coco,Santa Maria del Mar.
Style: free
Gear: F-ONE -- CORE 7 m to 16 m
Brand Affiliation: sponsor by and ambassador of F-ONE and CORE

Postby kitesurfcubatravel » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:45 pm

You have to try Kitesurf Cuba Travel school in Cuba - Cayo Coco.

The best hotels in the country,Pullman Cayo Coco,Sol CAyo Coco and Melia Cayo Coco.The spot is perfect for beginners,Flat and shallow waters,more than 20 kms of beautiful of crystal clear waters,lots of activities at the hotel,party time ,salsa, friends.... and much more.

Go visit kitesurfcubatravel.com and we will help you with all the prices,hotels and flights.

Thanks and good kite.
Attachments
zonakite23.JPG
Cayo Coco -kitesurfcubatravel.com
zonakite8.JPG
Cayo Coco -kitesurfcubatravel.com

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:51 pm

kitesurfcubatravel wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:45 pm
You have to try Kitesurf Cuba Travel school in Cuba - Cayo Coco.

The best hotels in the country,Pullman Cayo Coco,Sol CAyo Coco and Melia Cayo Coco.The spot is perfect for beginners,Flat and shallow waters,more than 20 kms of beautiful of crystal clear waters,lots of activities at the hotel,party time ,salsa, friends.... and much more.

Go visit kitesurfcubatravel.com and we will help you with all the prices,hotels and flights.

Thanks and good kite.
Anyone considering Cuba especially Cayo Guillermo should know the island was hit very hard. These pictures are from a 2 days ago at the SOL. I am sure the beach is still awesome but it is certainly not like kitesurfcubatravel's pictures... those pictures are pre Irma. These pictures post Irma taken on Dec 16th.
Attachments
cuba1.jpg
Cuba 2.jpg
cuba 3.jpg
cuba 4.jpg
cuba 5.jpg
cuba 6.jpg

sirwinb
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Regency Plaza Aqua Park and Spa Resort Nabq Sharm El Sheikh Egt
Favorite Beaches: Nabq Bay
Blue Lagoon Dahab
Ras Sudr
San Pedro Belize
Style: freestyle kiteboard
Gear: Core RX3, Core GTS2, Cabrinha Contra
Crazy fly raptor, slingshot exstream,

Postby sirwinb » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:30 am

Come join us at Kite Addicts Sharm with the best kiteboard and Kitesurf conditions all year round in Sharm El Sheikh Egypt. We are professional experienced kiting instructors that teach kiting because we love it! IKO kiteboarding certification available on request.
https://www.kiteaddictssharm.com/
https://www.facebook.com/KiteAddictsSharm/

kitesurfcubatravel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Coco -Cayo Guillermo-Jardines del Rey-Santa Lucia ,Camaguey.
Favorite Beaches: Playa Pilar,Cayo Coco,Santa Maria del Mar.
Style: free
Gear: F-ONE -- CORE 7 m to 16 m
Brand Affiliation: sponsor by and ambassador of F-ONE and CORE

Postby kitesurfcubatravel » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:00 pm

The pics from Cayo Coco are not pre Irma,we are a serious travel agency and we have the school in Cayo Coco not Cayo Guillermo,sorry but try to be real in time when you people say something to the others.

Our company have a kite camp every month at the pullman hotel,come join us.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:04 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:51 pm

Anyone considering Cuba especially Cayo Guillermo should know the island was hit very hard. These pictures are from a 2 days ago at the SOL. I am sure the beach is still awesome but it is certainly not like kitesurfcubatravel's pictures... those pictures are pre Irma. These pictures post Irma taken on Dec 16th.
A good reason to go to places like Cuba post hit by a hurricane is to help the local economy get going again. I would feel good if my money is doing good. It will also be quiet as the TS preferred an possibly you will get good pricing too.

Lorenaibarra32
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dakhla, Morocco
Style: Freestyle, Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Lorenaibarra32 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:04 pm

I'd recommend Dakhla very much.
The water is butter flat, the climate is really good. I know Dakhla Attitude Hotel, has a really good kite school, you can check it www.dakhla-attitude.ma
They have 3 different hotels and they are really nice, a super cool vibe.

I'd recommend it for suuure!

Return to “Travel”