Style: Old school, freeride
Gear: North - dice, rebel
Brand Affiliation: Northkiteboarding
Been thanked: 0

Brazil Pipa

Postby Theboy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:27 pm

Hi kite friends

I am planning to go in Pipa, Brazil for 14 nights
From 6.2. - is that good time/month for kitesurfing ?

Some experiences ?

I will be very happy for your story :)

- kite spot ( right in Pipa U can ride or U need to travel from Pipa to another beach ? )
- traveling ( from Natal? )
- accomodation
- nightlife
- restaurants

Thank you very very much fellas
Joe :bye:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Brazil Pipa

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:46 pm

Never been, but heard it is an amazing place!

Please let us know how it was and any tips when you came back!

Enjoy !!

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby NEkitesurfing » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:10 am

Pipa is a nice place but very touristic. You would need a car to go there from Natal and to go to the beaches that are good for kiteboarding. February is not the best month concerning the wind. But it can work. Because of Carnival in February everything will be much more expensive. Check the hotels and make reservations before you start travelling. For kiteboarding the best spots in the neighborhood are Tibao do Sul where you have to take the ferry boat in direction west. I would recommend to park your car on the Tibao side, because it is safer and because without 4wheel drive the other side is hard to manage. You have to walk around 500 m in the direction north or Cururu. Dont go alone because nobody will help you from the Tibao side. You can find some bigger waves. Ask for the time when the ferry boat stops the service because going back without is normally not possible. Very nice spots are Buzios close to Pirangi do Sul and Pirangi do Norte at the Barraca do Duca. Tony will help you to start and land your kite if no other kiteboarders are around. The Carnival in Pirangi do Norte is one of the best in the northeast. For five days everything is full and almost impossible to move with a car especially at night. Again dont go alone and be careful because it can be dangerous. Even in Ponta Negra you can find good conditions but ask the locals. You will find a lot more spots with more wind in Litoral Norte de Natal. Sao Miguel do Gostoso....
Another spot close to Pipa is Barra do Cunhau which is a typical World Kitesurf Cup spot where you can kite directly in the river or close by on the sea side. The Pipa beaches are often full of surfers, with rocks and strong currents and have not enough and tricky winds. Ask the locals before you want to try it out. Praia do Madeiro is a dream beach for surfing with a small natural reserve that it is worth to visit. The surf courses offered there are not bad.

Theboy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Slovakia, Austria
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Cuba, Sicily, Lefkada, Neusiedle

Postby Theboy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:22 pm

NEkitesurfing wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:10 am
Pipa is a nice place but very touristic. You would need a car to go there from Natal and to go to the beaches that are good for kiteboarding. February is not the best month concerning the wind. But it can work. Because of Carnival in February everything will be much more expensive. Check the hotels and make reservations before you start travelling. For kiteboarding the best spots in the neighborhood are Tibao do Sul where you have to take the ferry boat in direction west. I would recommend to park your car on the Tibao side, because it is safer and because without 4wheel drive the other side is hard to manage. You have to walk around 500 m in the direction north or Cururu. Dont go alone because nobody will help you from the Tibao side. You can find some bigger waves. Ask for the time when the ferry boat stops the service because going back without is normally not possible. Very nice spots are Buzios close to Pirangi do Sul and Pirangi do Norte at the Barraca do Duca. Tony will help you to start and land your kite if no other kiteboarders are around. The Carnival in Pirangi do Norte is one of the best in the northeast. For five days everything is full and almost impossible to move with a car especially at night. Again dont go alone and be careful because it can be dangerous. Even in Ponta Negra you can find good conditions but ask the locals. You will find a lot more spots with more wind in Litoral Norte de Natal. Sao Miguel do Gostoso....
Another spot close to Pipa is Barra do Cunhau which is a typical World Kitesurf Cup spot where you can kite directly in the river or close by on the sea side. The Pipa beaches are often full of surfers, with rocks and strong currents and have not enough and tricky winds. Ask the locals before you want to try it out. Praia do Madeiro is a dream beach for surfing with a small natural reserve that it is worth to visit. The surf courses offered there are not bad.
Hi
Thank you so so much for all very helpfull informations. Now I have pretty more clear how it works in there.
I am not sure now about this place, sounds tricky with the close kite beach in Pipa.
I am looking for flat spot and also some nightlife around.
U think is better to go closer to Natal because of better kite conditions or to barra do Cunhau ?
I am also not sure about the right date when U are writing about more expensive month and full town.... Maybe I will change the date and go there in some another month.

Thanx a lot I appreciate all your info
Joe

zorroBBB
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 900 kg
Local Beach: Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Northeast Brazil
Style: I like em strapless
Gear: reliable stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby zorroBBB » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi Joe,

I've visited this spot in 2013. But I'd rather recommend Barra de Cunhau. Barra de cunhau is located about 10 km in the South of Pipa. So to speak Pipa's neighbor. Check out the map. It has a flat water spot and you can enter the river as well.
Less touristic- cheaper- but no nightlife, except from it's hostels.
BIG BUT: In this time of the year you have stronger and more constant winds in the far north around Fortaleza.
I'd only choose Rio Grande do Norte till November/December. This time of a year I'd stick to Ceara until may/june.
Take care and have fun.
Please be careful because Brazil is even more dangerous now than it has been 2 years back because of the political situation.
Robbery/murder/rape/assaults have increased about 300 % so please take care.
Best regards
Zorro

Theboy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Slovakia, Austria
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Cuba, Sicily, Lefkada, Neusiedle

Postby Theboy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:53 pm

zorroBBB wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:50 pm
Hi Joe,

I've visited this spot in 2013. But I'd rather recommend Barra de Cunhau. Barra de cunhau is located about 10 km in the South of Pipa. So to speak Pipa's neighbor. Check out the map. It has a flat water spot and you can enter the river as well.
Less touristic- cheaper- but no nightlife, except from it's hostels.
BIG BUT: In this time of the year you have stronger and more constant winds in the far north around Fortaleza.
I'd only choose Rio Grande do Norte till November/December. This time of a year I'd stick to Ceara until may/june.
Take care and have fun.
Please be careful because Brazil is even more dangerous now than it has been 2 years back because of the political situation.
Robbery/murder/rape/assaults have increased about 300 % so please take care.
Best regards
Zorro
Hi ZORRO

Thanx a lot !
Very important informations. Specialy the last one is important because I wanted to go only with my girlfriend so I need safe place.
Thanx again

Joe

Return to “Travel”