Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

with gear. No bars in carryon?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

with gear. No bars in carryon?

Postby grigorib » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:01 pm

Happened to a friend on a layover in Turkey first - airport security wouldn't allow bar in carryon bag.

Same on Thursday happened to me after riding in La Ventana and flying out of SJD. Officer was refusing to show any regulation saying why and how a bar won't be allowed, just refusing to allow it. Manager came and was insisting on the same topic saying that "airline and airport security regulations are different" even though a page at United kiosk didn't show any bars not being allowed. She brought later a dirty binder with a piece of paper looking like fax and pointed out on a candelabra where it was saying 20cm limit.

TF?

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: with gear. No bars in carryon?

Postby purdyd » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:11 am

I would say that it looks too much like a possible weapon. I'm surprised you got it through on the way to Mexico.

If you travel enough you find there is a lot of variation in airport security. Best to err on the side of caution for anything carried on.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:26 am

A simple walking cane looks even more like a weapon and I'm sure a cane could be pretty deadly. Bars are soft and cushioned and not restricted specifically. Next time they'll tell you extendable handle of your bag looks like a weapon, would you take that crap?

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:35 am

I travel alot on kite trips and never bring my bar as carry on,. However, my kiting brother in-law packs his bar in his carry on travel suit case and has never had a problem.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:47 am

grigorib wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:26 am
A simple walking cane looks even more like a weapon and I'm sure a cane could be pretty deadly. Bars are soft and cushioned and not restricted specifically. Next time they'll tell you extendable handle of your bag looks like a weapon, would you take that crap?
Unfortunately that is the world we live in now where where people hijack planes using box cutters as weapons and fly them into buildings.

I don’t like it but that is the way it is.

You can always elect not to fly. Or you could work to make the world a better and safer place and we can all hope and pray that someday we won’t have to worry about plane hijackings.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grigorib » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:04 am

purdyd wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:47 am
grigorib wrote:
Unfortunately that is the world we live in now where where people hijack planes using box cutters as weapons and fly them into buildings.

You can always elect not to fly. Or you could work to make the world a better and safer place and we can all hope and pray that someday we won’t have to worry about plane hijackings.
I don’t get it. If bar is prohibited I won’t take it with me, but I want to know by what rule and regulation it is prohibited. It’s not up to imagination of airport security we live by but by the rules. So what is that rule?

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:11 am

Not sure if this is a United issue but since they were mentioned - 1st rule of kite travels - never fly United if at all possible. They truly suck, so does Delta. Support airlines like Alaska whenever possible & let them know you fly on their airline because they have a good baggage policy.

As to the topic - I've flown with a bar in carry-on & not. They seem to get extra scrutiny because they obviously look suspicious. I suppose it could be argued the kite lines could be used nefariously. I only carry mine on if I'm up against weight limits & don't have anything else small & weighty to transfer.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:26 am

grigorib wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:04 am
purdyd wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:47 am
grigorib wrote:

I don’t get it. If bar is prohibited I won’t take it with me, but I want to know by what rule and regulation it is prohibited. It’s not up to imagination of airport security we live by but by the rules. So what is that rule?
" The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... ibring/all

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:29 am

grigorib wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:01 pm
Happened to a friend on a layover in Turkey first - airport security wouldn't allow bar in carryon bag.

Same on Thursday happened to me after riding in La Ventana and flying out of SJD. Officer was refusing to show any regulation saying why and how a bar won't be allowed, just refusing to allow it. Manager came and was insisting on the same topic saying that "airline and airport security regulations are different" even though a page at United kiosk didn't show any bars not being allowed. She brought later a dirty binder with a piece of paper looking like fax and pointed out on a candelabra where it was saying 20cm limit.

TF?
hello Grigorib,
I wouldn't take the bar in a carry on!
You might get away with it at some airports but it will depend on the person looking at it as well as regulations.
(I take up to 200 flights/year I could write a book about my experience with airport security.)

Traveling is stressful, its not worth the hassle...

cheers

nickfox
Rare Poster
Gear: airush razors
Has thanked: 0

Postby nickfox » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:10 pm

Ive seen regulations on some airlines about rope and string longer than 2m

Return to “Travel”