Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

to Mexico - car rental (insurance)

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

to Mexico - car rental (insurance)

Postby grigorib » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:46 pm

Reserved a car through Kayak/Expedia for 12 days at SJD for $232 to have something to drive in La Ventana.
Come there to find out that even though I can use whatever I want for collision insurance the liability insurance “has to be paid extra” bringing the bill to $508.
Quite a bit of money and wondering if Kayak/Expedia is messed up and aren’t aware of “mandatory liability insurance” or I just got scammed.

Does anyone know for sure?

RustyChain
Medium Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: to Mexico - car rental (insurance)

Postby RustyChain » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:10 pm

I did just that. The collision damage waiver (collision insurance) for the car your renting often is offered for free by your credit card company. Check their website, but chase will insure the car if you pay with their card and you decline the coverage they offer. We payed for the liability insurance and the property damage insurance.

RustyChain
Medium Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby RustyChain » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:20 pm

I guess I didn’t really answer your question, I’m about 99% certain that the liability insurance is required. Unlike rental cars in the US, my auto policy will not cover me in MX. (Progressive).

It’s only sort of a scam Expedia didn’t include it, but everybody requires it. Of the four or five places I looked at for car rental, the liability insurance was the same price per day.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Car rental in Mexico is infamous for this, even if you have coverage through another policy, such as a credit card. They often “force” you to pay for the additional insurance. I guess you can argue against it at the counter, but I understand that to be ineffective in Mexico.

Jwoo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: casalava@puntapequeña.
Favorite Beaches: Uncrowded ones
Style: Strapless surf
Gear: Duotone Neo, Firewire, Appletree

Postby Jwoo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:42 pm

I live in Baja Sur and I believe this cost might be correct. Liability insurance in Mexico went up ridiculously a couple years ago. BCS is one of the highest. We're paying a fortune for liability insurance on our yearly policy for our personal car. Daily rates are probably super high.

You have to pay liability insurance out of pocket, any additional insurance you might want may be covered by the credit card. Know what your credit card covers before you rent. The rental company will often try to trick you into buying additional insurance your credit card may already cover, but remember you do have to pay liability, and I don't know of any credit cards that cover liability.

Also, a good thing to note is that most insurance offered by credit cards will not cover a pickup truck or Jeep type vehicle. If you want to rent anything other than a standard car, read your credit card policy carefully.

Jwoo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: casalava@puntapequeña.
Favorite Beaches: Uncrowded ones
Style: Strapless surf
Gear: Duotone Neo, Firewire, Appletree

Postby Jwoo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:47 pm

Just another note about car rental in Baja Sur, or anywhere for that matter. I've been burned a few times for damage I did not do. Now, when I rent, I use my phone and take pictures of all 4 sides of the car before leaving the lot. Try to get the guy or gal helping you into the picture in the background. Also take a picture of the spare so they can't say it's different than what they gave you. This has saved me twice when they tried to get me for existing damage when I returned the car. I mention the spare because once they tried to tell me the spare was not the one they gave me. Fortunately I had pictures.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:58 pm

One update. I checked the same rental company web and if you reserve through that it says mandatory liability insurance is included (and the price is about $380 for two weeks)
I guess with a copy of that reservation they shouldn’t charge anything extra when I go next time.

Return to “Travel”