KimAndersen
Rare Poster
Gear: Gin
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Trip to Soma Bay Egypt

Postby KimAndersen » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:55 am

Hi all
Last year we did a trip to El Gouna Egypt, which turned out great. A bit choppy conditions but warm and windy most days.
This year we are planning a trip to Soma Bay to try something different. As far as I can Read most kiters choose to stay at The Breakers and then take the shuttlebus to the kitebeach.

In El Gouna we stayed at Mövenpick where we could kite straight of the hotel beach, thus avoiding taking the shuttle back and forth. We loved this kind setup, as we could do other things during the day and be able to kite in 15 minutes if it got windy. I am not sure if this kind of setup is possible in Soma Bay. As far as I can see both Sheraton and Mövenpick in Soma bay seems to have their own kiting beaches and maybe other hotels too?

There is just not a lot of information around regarding kiting from other beaches than the main kitebeach. This might be down to that these spots aren’t really that good in which case we will use the shuttle as kiting is our main goal with the trip. But if on the other some of you have experience with hotels in Soma Bay without having to take a shuttle, I would love to hear about it.

Also in El Gouna we did a boat trip an Island called Tawila, which was like the perfect flatwater spot. I have Idea that there might be Islands like that around Soma Bay too. So if any of you know of boat trips like this and where too book, I would love to hear about this too.

Cheers
Kim

KimAndersen
Rare Poster
Gear: Gin

Re: Trip to Soma Bay Egypt

Postby KimAndersen » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Nobody with Soma Bay experince?

KiteNewbie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Curretly Safaga, Egypt
Favorite Beaches: Essaouira, Marocco
Santa Marianita, Ecuador
Style: Falling down a lot! haha
Gear: Rented gear.
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteNewbie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:49 am

Hello Kim!

I am right now taking some courses in Safaga, with Hawa Station! They are situated inside the Menaville Resort, but if its too pricey for you, Julie can arrange any kind of accomodation, only minutes walking distance from the school.
If you are a freerider, Soma Bay is just paradise, 360° of water around you, steady side shore wind, pristine and warm water.
With their zodiacs or Kite Boat (including lunch) they take you to the best kitesurfing spot, to their private Hawa Platform in the middle of Soma Bay. The Station is famous as well for the 6km downwind ride back from Soma Bay.
Other info, Safaga is a quiet little town, really safe, even for a woman traveling alone like me.

If you want to check out their website: www.hawasafaga.com

Have a good ride! :-)

nickfox
Rare Poster
Gear: airush razors

Postby nickfox » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:15 pm

Ive been to the Breakers a couple of times now. the shuttle is no big deal and you can get good meals at the beach house.
The wind has always been offshore when I have been there in the summer months, june/july.
It has always been gusty though. if you are looking for Brazil-style flat water and perfect wind this is not the place. I think Dakhla is a much better option from Europe.
It has world class diving, so its good if you're into that.

Return to “Travel”