Forum for travel reports and travel questions
alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Re: Ethiopian Airlines fail

Postby alexrider » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:31 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:56 am
Is it actually the airlines or the airport staff?
I think it's the Airline which is at fault for not respecting its obligation to compensate for costs.
The airport staff share it's responsibility as they have been mistaken when they said I had to come to pick the luggage personally because it was required by the customs. Customs didn't turn up to check the luggage, which was already cleared and stored in a room beyond customs check.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexrider » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:22 am

"Here's the thing though, that the referred compensation of $100 a day refers to your checked luggage, and by checked luggage I mean only your normal suit case with clothing in it. Those are the essentials: clothing, toiletries, shoes so that you're clean and not naked on the next day. "

Did you make that up? Nowhere is that written, even in small characters. If true, the it's a con.
I can do without my clothes and toothbrush; not my kitegear.
BigBafana wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:06 am
[quote/]
alexrider wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:32 pm
"In rare event that delivery of your checked bags does not occur, Ethiopian will give out 1 overnight kit (on all international flights). In addition to the overnight kit Ethiopian will give one time incidental payment of USD 100.00 for Cloud nine/Business class passengers to cover small expenses."
So far, they've been disregarding their own written commitment.
Here's the thing though, that the referred compensation of $100 a day refers to your checked luggage, and by checked luggage I mean only your normal suit case with clothing in it. Those are the essentials: clothing, toiletries, shoes so that you're clean and not naked on the next day. Your kiteboard bag is checked luggage too but classified as sports equipment. The assumption is made that your essentials are in your suit case and not in your sportsbag. So unless you had all your clothing, toiletries and everyting else in one bag, your kiteboarding bag (and it was checked in as nromal luggage and not as special luggage), then you're not entitled to compensation as you have all the essentials on you in your normal suit case that you did receive at baggage claim. The fact that your missing sports equipment messed up your next few days and some fun kiteboarding days is not their responsibility. Those are all assumptions made for future events. To exaggerate the example, hyperthethically you could've had a prototype kiteboard made of spacerock that levitates above water and you would've had a business deal next day with a potential investor that would've invested $1bil but it all fell through as the airline lost your board. Well that isn't the airlines problem that the deal fell through and could've lived the rest of your life in luxury....should've, could've, would've is not relevant in legal disputes.

I agree though that they should've at least forwarded your bags to the hotel on their account or compensated you for picking it up from the airport as the onus is on them for you to receive your property.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexrider » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:25 pm

Update!
To be fair, I must say Ethiopian Airlines in Addis Ababa finally agreed to pay USD 100 compensation and, more importantly, graciously apologise. Over 50 emails and 6 weeks to get to that point. I hope their agents in Antananarivo will be schooled and taught how to treat their customers according to international norms and their own stated commitments.
:thumb:

BigBafana
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BigBafana » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:07 pm

Sorry not making that stuff up. Read it somewhere and was told it too. Sorry for not having a source but I travel a lot as a consultant and had a few issues with luggage and my suitcases being shredded etc. Anytime you think as normal person they should replace and compensate as you would’ve done in a normal world, the airlines come up with the details and some rules and regulation to mess with you. Example the airline had shredded my business suitcase, a beautiful Victorinox with a lifetime guarantee on it. Had it for about 8 yesrs, almost looked new. Thought cool, I’ll claim and get a new replacement. Original cost about €400. The guy at lost luggage took down my details, looked at the damage and said “sure, it’s a write off”, asked me how old it was and naively answered somewhere between 5-8 years (with the though on the back of my mind that it looks brand new and has a life time guarantee). The guy says thanx and automatically writes down 8 years old. Tells me take the claim letter and go to a suitcase store in town and they’ll compensate me and I can get a new suitcase with that money.........here it comes: suitcases according to airlines get written off after 10 years. No matter the brand, the look, the life time guarantees you get, it’s 10 years. So here he calculates €400 after 8 years, makes it worth €80! So from that day onwards I’ve always bought the cheapest suitcases. Not worth it getting the expensive Remova Aluminiums etc. or life time guaranteed Victorinox’s. they did the same with my snowboard. Totaled it. Written off after 3 years already. It was a brand new once ridden snowboard but 2,5 years old. Barely got anything for it.

Almost forgot this one story of my firdt trip as a consultant, I had just arrived in the new city, waiting for my suitcase and I see someone has the same excact suitcase but missing a sticker so that I know it’s not mine. Guess what it was a lady consultant that travelled onwards to another country for two weeks who took my suitcase instead. Told the airlines and they just told me that they couldn’t do anything as they haven’t done anything wrong. As it was another passenger it was a personal liability and not that of the airlines. Had to buy everything new, a suit, shirts, underwear, socks, razors, business shoes. loads of money that I had to fork out myself. The airline said if I wanted to claim the money back I’d have to sue the lady consultant directly.

Basically saying that feelings and the law are far apart from each other.

Return to “Travel”