Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ethiopian Airlines fail

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Ethiopian Airlines fail

Postby alexrider » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:31 am

If you fly to Madagascar, perhaps you should think twice before flying with Ethiopian Airlines.
I recently flew from Bangkok to Antananarivo via Addis Ababa with Ethiopian, business class because I had 60 kg of gear, and wanted to ensure it got lost or damaged on the way. I thought "priority" meant something to them.
Arrived in Antananarivo, after the last bag showed on the conveyor (and hour wait), I realised my kitebag wasn't there, and had to queue another hour in luggage litigation (I wasn't alone!) to file my report of missing luggage. I was told I would be informed when/if my luggage would arrive. My plan to head South was compromised since I wouldn't go without my gear. Two days later, they said the gear arrived and that I had to take my bag personally at the airport, because customs needed to clear it in my presence and they weren't entitled to do that, which turned out to be a lie, because no officer was there to check it, and it had past customs already when I got there. They just wanted to spare the taxi money needed to send it. FYI information, airlines are obliged to forward the delayed luggage to the traveller's final destination. I imagine for customs clearance, they should make me sign something to authorise them to represent me, and maybe ask for the luggage keys.
I then had to write to several offices to claim the damages and compensations I am entitled to by their own commitments and international regulations.
So far, the only response to the person I asked to act on my behalf was:

"Dear xxxxxx,

Greetings !

We are sorry for the inconvenience. To solve as quickly as possible, we ask you to come directly to our agency located at Analakely Immeuble ex-Sicam.

Best regards,

Valéria R********** (Mrs.)
Ticketing Agent
Ethiopian Airlines, Immeuble Ex Sicam , Enface Cosmos, Analakely, Antananarivo
Tel: +261 22 307 34, Cell: +261 34 07 637 91, Fax: +261 22 307 34"

As if I had the desire or plan to return to Antananarivo, and as if they couldn't resolve the issue by mail and bank transfer in order not to aggravate their case. BTW I went to that office before they identified my luggage, but no one would listen to me. I was only given a phone number. Absolutely no concern from anyone I spoke to.
I did experience late luggage several times with different companies in the past. It was always forwarded to wherever I was, with apologies and compensation.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer Commitment
https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/AA/EN ... commitment
3. Deliver baggage on time

It is Ethiopian's intention to deliver your checked bags to you on time. However, in the event that this does not occur, Ethiopian will make every reasonable effort to deliver your bags within 24 hours. Notify an Ethiopian employee at the airport if you cannot locate your baggage. In rare event that delivery of your checked bags does not occur, Ethiopian will give out 1 overnight kit (on all international flights). In addition to the overnight kit Ethiopian will give one time incidental payment of USD 100.00 for Cloud nine/Business class passengers to cover small expenses. Economy class passengers shall be given only overnight kit. However, if their bag does not arrive on the following day incidental payment of USD 75.00 is given...
11. Provide service to mitigate inconveniences resulting from cancellation and misconnections

If Ethiopian‘s flight happens to miss the connection flight to your destination, every effort will be made for alternate travel arrangement. If that is not feasible and if you have to wait until the next available flight, Ethiopian will provide you with full hotel accommodation, 3 minute telephone call to destination and ground transportation to and from hotel.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Ethiopian Airlines fail

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:49 am

Sorry to hear about this. And thx for sharing!

In Egypt they also don’t forward your luggage.
You have to pick it up personally.

I had this happening when I flew to Cairo and then went to Ras Sudr to Kite.
It’s a nightmare to drive, since during daytime Cairo is a complete traffic jam. A 30 min drive at night in the city lasts 2 hours during daytime.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexrider » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:53 am

That's two of us. :-? Let's have a club!
Is it the country, or the airline who wouldn't comply with standard regulations?
What airline did you use?
Toby wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:49 am
Sorry to hear about this. And thx for sharing!

In Egypt they also don’t forward your luggage.
You have to pick it up personally.

I had this happening when I flew to Cairo and then went to Ras Sudr to Kite.
It’s a nightmare to drive, since during daytime Cairo is a complete traffic jam. A 30 min drive at night in the city lasts 2 hours during daytime.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:15 pm

It’s the country rules. Nothing the airline can do.
I think it was British Airways

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Strekke » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:05 pm

I had a similar issue with Air Mauritius/South African Airlines. Booked via South African, but it was a co-shared flight with Air Mauritius. Arrived on the island without any bags. Went to the "general" lost luggage office upon landing, filled out the forms etc. "Your bags will arrive on the next flight tomorrow morning!". Eventually, all bags were lost in transfer in Jo'burg - no gear for 4 days! Called 5 times per day for follow up, always the same bs "your bags have not been located". Only after I started tweeting my story while tagging SA airlines, I got some action going: they immediately deleted my tweet (!), and publicly replied "This is untrue - SA airlines always ensures luggage arrives on time!", and then DM'ed me for a follow up, and finally located my bags. Then however they refused any compensation: "it was a co-shared flight and you chose to file your complaint with Air Mauritius, so it is their responsibility" - there was only a general luggage claim counter open, it did not say "Air Mauritius" or whatever. Air Mauritius' reply: "you booked with SA Airlines, compensation is their responsibility".

Eventually after many phone calls, Air Mauritius agreed to give me a 1x 50€ compensation, "to which we will add another 20€ if you come collect your bags at the airport so we do not have to send a driver"... South African airlines rules clearly state that it is a fixed 75USD per day late, + compensation for essentials such as clothes/toothpaste etc. that you have to buy. I really just wanted my gear, so drove to the airport to pick it up. Air Mauritius then made me sign a waiver that I accept the compensation, or else they would not give me my bags. I was furious but accepted nonetheless, as I didn't really have a choice. Then at home I found out both of my bags were heavily damaged...

I tried to file an official complaint about all this with SA airlines afterwards, but needed to do this in person at the SA office within some stupid time frame etc., so in the end I just decided to just say "f*ck it" and enjoy my holiday.

But yeah, basically getting your gear lost is an absolute nightmare, and many airlines are absolute pricks about dealing with it, taking responsibility, and offering compensation.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks for sharing. Will think twice about flying Ethiopian (good alternative for me going to Zanzibar).

Also heard from others Madagascar can be complicated. I would love to go, but have been advised to rent equipment because of the hassle with flying both to and on the island.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexrider » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:32 pm

If indeed it's the country's rules, it doesn't exempt the airline from its obligations to compensate for costs, damages and lost time associated with the delayed luggage delivery. Ethiopian Airlines' site boasts:
"In rare event that delivery of your checked bags does not occur, Ethiopian will give out 1 overnight kit (on all international flights). In addition to the overnight kit Ethiopian will give one time incidental payment of USD 100.00 for Cloud nine/Business class passengers to cover small expenses."
So far, they've been disregarding their own written commitment.
Toby wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:15 pm
It’s the country rules. Nothing the airline can do.
I think it was British Airways

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexrider » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Welcome to the club. Your story is far worse than mine.

"Air Mauritius then made me sign a waiver that I accept the compensation, or else they would not give me my bags."
Wonder if this is legal. I would have them sign what they told you.
Strekke wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:05 pm
I had a similar issue with Air Mauritius/South African Airlines. Booked via South African, but it was a co-shared flight with Air Mauritius. Arrived on the island without any bags. Went to the "general" lost luggage office upon landing, filled out the forms etc. "Your bags will arrive on the next flight tomorrow morning!". Eventually, all bags were lost in transfer in Jo'burg - no gear for 4 days! Called 5 times per day for follow up, always the same bs "your bags have not been located". Only after I started tweeting my story while tagging SA airlines, I got some action going: they immediately deleted my tweet (!), and publicly replied "This is untrue - SA airlines always ensures luggage arrives on time!", and then DM'ed me for a follow up, and finally located my bags. Then however they refused any compensation: "it was a co-shared flight and you chose to file your complaint with Air Mauritius, so it is their responsibility" - there was only a general luggage claim counter open, it did not say "Air Mauritius" or whatever. Air Mauritius' reply: "you booked with SA Airlines, compensation is their responsibility".

Eventually after many phone calls, Air Mauritius agreed to give me a 1x 50€ compensation, "to which we will add another 20€ if you come collect your bags at the airport so we do not have to send a driver"... South African airlines rules clearly state that it is a fixed 75USD per day late, + compensation for essentials such as clothes/toothpaste etc. that you have to buy. I really just wanted my gear, so drove to the airport to pick it up. Air Mauritius then made me sign a waiver that I accept the compensation, or else they would not give me my bags. I was furious but accepted nonetheless, as I didn't really have a choice. Then at home I found out both of my bags were heavily damaged...

I tried to file an official complaint about all this with SA airlines afterwards, but needed to do this in person at the SA office within some stupid time frame etc., so in the end I just decided to just say "f*ck it" and enjoy my holiday.

But yeah, basically getting your gear lost is an absolute nightmare, and many airlines are absolute pricks about dealing with it, taking responsibility, and offering compensation.

BigBafana
Medium Poster

Postby BigBafana » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:06 am

[quote/]
alexrider wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:32 pm
"In rare event that delivery of your checked bags does not occur, Ethiopian will give out 1 overnight kit (on all international flights). In addition to the overnight kit Ethiopian will give one time incidental payment of USD 100.00 for Cloud nine/Business class passengers to cover small expenses."
So far, they've been disregarding their own written commitment.
Here's the thing though, that the referred compensation of $100 a day refers to your checked luggage, and by checked luggage I mean only your normal suit case with clothing in it. Those are the essentials: clothing, toiletries, shoes so that you're clean and not naked on the next day. Your kiteboard bag is checked luggage too but classified as sports equipment. The assumption is made that your essentials are in your suit case and not in your sportsbag. So unless you had all your clothing, toiletries and everyting else in one bag, your kiteboarding bag (and it was checked in as nromal luggage and not as special luggage), then you're not entitled to compensation as you have all the essentials on you in your normal suit case that you did receive at baggage claim. The fact that your missing sports equipment messed up your next few days and some fun kiteboarding days is not their responsibility. Those are all assumptions made for future events. To exaggerate the example, hyperthethically you could've had a prototype kiteboard made of spacerock that levitates above water and you would've had a business deal next day with a potential investor that would've invested $1bil but it all fell through as the airline lost your board. Well that isn't the airlines problem that the deal fell through and could've lived the rest of your life in luxury....should've, could've, would've is not relevant in legal disputes.

I agree though that they should've at least forwarded your bags to the hotel on their account or compensated you for picking it up from the airport as the onus is on them for you to receive your property.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:56 am

Is it actually the airlines or the airport staff?

Return to “Travel”