Rare Poster
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best place to learn Kite surfing in Portugal

Postby nilsmarnfeldt » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi!

I'm going to be backpacking Europe during the summer and one of the main goals are to learn to Kite. My current plan is to start the jurney of in Portugal and stay there for a month to learn to kite.

Thus I have some questions - I'm going to be there pretty much the whole of June, where would you recommend me to stay? The plan is to have a "base" somewhere, and then travel from there for shorter trips in Portugal as well - but I'm open for any other suggestion. And also, would it be most cost efficient to rent equipment or should I by used equipment before going? Have tried googling but can't really come to any proper conclusion. So I'm very happy from any imput I can get!

Thanks! :D

micwi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken, Sweden, Fuseta Portugal
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 9/12 m, Drifter 2018 6,9m, Airush Union II 7m, Shinn Monk, Slingshot Angry Swallow, F-ONE ESL 5'8" 2018, Crazyfly Skim

Re: Best place to learn Kite surfing in Portugal

Postby micwi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi Nils,
When I'm in Portugal I usually kitesurf in Fuseta, Algarve. There's a nice lagoon there to provide a safe environment for learning. Two kite schools are teaching there.
https://www.kite-algarve.com and http://www.kitesurfeolis.com/en/index.html. Eolis is actually situated in Cabanas de Tavira, but I often see them in Fuseta (Arroteia)
I haven't kitesurfed there in the sommer so I don't know how relible the wind is in June.

nilsmarnfeldt
Rare Poster

Postby nilsmarnfeldt » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:44 am

Thanks for your input! Will be sure to look it up :)

Enrico1967
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Borocay, Le Morne, Tarifa, Maui Kitebeach, Paros Kitebeach
Style: freeride
Gear: F1 Bandit and Best TS

Postby Enrico1967 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Hello Nils,
I would suggest also Alvor. The Lagoon is nice and safe. Perfect for beginner. Plenty of schools speaking English. I went twice in the summer, quite windy.
I will take my daughter next may to practice after one week school in Tarifa.
DO not buy anything before making the course. When you will be able to go on your own you will have a clearer idea of what you need.
Best place to buy material second hand is Tarifa Spain. there are about 20 shops with plenty of second hand material or very discounted brand new material which is old (like 2014-2015).
plenty of people buy every year brand new stuff and leave their own for sale. I recently replaced my old kites (best waroo) dated 2008 with more recent ones. In ten year the difference is big!

Consider that renting is extremely expensive. It is better to buy 2-4 year old material well kept than renting.

Enjoy it
Enrico

andrewjohn
Medium Poster

Postby andrewjohn » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:56 pm

I kites at Alvor last year. I’ve been kitesurfing for 3 yrs and can hold my own in most conditions.
It was carnage. Sooooo many people learning to kite, so lots of them were just stood watching for quite some time, kites hitting the water all the time and when they did get up and riding they quickly had to stop due to other riders or a kite on the water.

Where’s your home spot going to be? Why not just learn now at your home spot the spend your time travelling and kiting.

I’m a big believer in learning at your home spot, especially if there’s a mix of flat and waves. You’ll soon be able to kite anywhere.

Whilst the lagoon at Alvor is really nice flat water, the wind in the summer is off shore and was gusty as hell when I was there.

Enrico1967
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Borocay, Le Morne, Tarifa, Maui Kitebeach, Paros Kitebeach
Style: freeride
Gear: F1 Bandit and Best TS

Postby Enrico1967 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:13 am

Hello Andrewjohn,
just for curiosity which month were you in Alvor?
I noted that Portugal is mostly like Italy, when August starts the people on the beach double or even more..... Normally I make the last two weeks of July and the first of August and the difference is really big.
Now that you said it, I remember too that it was very busy but still manageable especially if you are a good rider. Mostly i started on the east side where there is no shallow water.
Nils said he is going in June and I am pretty sure it won't be that overcrowded but your comments helps to keep all the factors in mind for his final decision.

nilsmarnfeldt
Rare Poster

Postby nilsmarnfeldt » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks everyone for your input! Will be sure to look it all up, might be I end up in Alvor!

Return to “Travel”