Local Beach: Maui
Style: Surf
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Naish
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tahiti in May

Postby Lelandjt » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:46 pm

What prevailing wind direction and strength can I expect in Tahiti in late May?

I'll be bouncing among islands for 3 weeks on a work trip during which I'll be busy until early afternoon. Then I've got 5 days at the south end of Moorea with the priority being surfing Haapiti. I'm already bringing a bike for the work part and 2 surfboards for my free time so I want to make sure I'll use the kites plenty before I add to my luggage load. I have 7, 8, 10, and 12m Naish Rides. I'd bring 2 kites and a strapped surfboard. I live on West Maui so I'm used to offshore winds, shallow reefs, and solo weird launch/landing spots.

Lelandjt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Maui
Style: Surf
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Naish
Has thanked: 0

Re: Tahiti in May

Postby Lelandjt » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Okay, I figured a way to pack so that it's not too much hassle and I'll definitely bring kite gear. My question now is 8 & 10m or 10 & 12m?

dlangpap
Rare Poster

Re: Tahiti in May

Postby dlangpap » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Lelandjt wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:30 pm
Okay, I figured a way to pack so that it's not too much hassle and I'll definitely bring kite gear. My question now is 8 & 10m or 10 & 12m?
Hey, just saw your post today. For what it's worth, I was in Tahiti in September 2014: Tahiti, Moorea, Bora-Bora and kited in the Bora-Bora lagoon. That time I used a 12 and a surfboard, so pretty light wind, must have been around 10-12 kn. But it's a chain of islands in the middle of the Pacific so, basically, anything can happen. At all depends on how powerful your kites are and what type of board you're riding, but with no more information, I'd take the 10 and 12.

Wanted to ask you about western MAui, too. What are good places to kite? How strong does the wind get and what is the prevalent wind direction? Is it good for wave kiting?

Cheers!

Return to “Travel”