Favorite Beaches: Le Morne
Style: Freestyle Wave
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: old fart round the world tour

Postby Fritz&Ivan » Tue May 22, 2018 10:31 pm

Agree with Hugh2. Was recently there, flight from Europ 500€, had a (single)room in a lodge for 20€ (was even pssible for 15€) and I rented a pick up for 25€. But pick up only because its cool, if money is a topic use a small car which you can get as well for 15€. Food is relatively cheap if you stick to local food or cook youself of course (kitchen was in the hostel as well)
you can get all above here:
https://www.surfcampmauritius.com/

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Wed May 23, 2018 8:10 pm

Thanks Hugh2 and Fritz&Ivan. The link is really helpful. That is well within my budget. I am hoping to keep my costs in the range of $120 a day (100 euro) excluding airfare. I know some places that won't be possible but hopeful those will be made up for by others that are.
Greenturtle thanks for the tip re asking for lower rates for month long rentals. I obviously need to sharpen up my bargaining skills.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JustAGirl » Mon May 28, 2018 12:45 pm

Oh la la, a stinky old fart! I understand you can’t teach old farts anything, but let me try: you clearly have no experience traveling, have no idea about the bureaucracy coming at you, and you are socially too poorly skilled to gather the information you need. Poor shmo! Troll thread. He’ll never pull it off! Piece of advice: if you want ppl to share what they know you tend not to insult them 🙄 Lordy!

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Tue May 29, 2018 5:04 am

Hi,I am retired since 2005 ,was cabin attendant so I had to travel. live in rome winter time and sardinia in summer.
I will suggest cape town ,long or short stay it is a must for kiters.best would be november until mid december then too many kiters and windsurfers arrive.
there is everything
safety is absolutely no problem yust pay attention night time like it woulde be in miami or LA
ciao

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks Picolo. Cape Town looks like a good bet although I was surprised at water temperature. It is definitely wet suite kiting.
JustaGirl. I am not sure what to make of your post. If I have insulted you I am very sorry as that was never my intention. While I don't think it is possible to have enough travel experience I have done more than most--somewhere around 30 countries, lived and worked in 5-- but I agree, it is amazing how petty bureaucrats, whose living depends on tourism, can make a visit painful. I have been following up on your suggestions re the Cook islands, did you do a swim-with-the-whales trip when you were there?
Again thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I am following up every one.
regards,
Griz

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:09 pm

Agree with Rakky on Cabarete. Nice place. Crowded at kite beach, but at Bozo you got space. Got a bit of a shore break, but I learned there so nothing too difficult.

Zanzibar is good. Just be aware that the season is quite short. Can be combined with Madagascar which is supposed to be amazing.

I wouldn't call them must go to places, but I have been three times in Cabarete and wouldn't mind going back. A bit similar with Zanzibar. Zanzibar is a bit less developed though. So if you prefer your beer cold you might get disappointed at times etc.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:19 pm

I travel with a foil everywhere, you can just drill holes in your TT and put grip on top and mount it whenever and have a dual use board. Also, foils break down into very small package so no worry about bulky.
Or get one of the convertible boards by nobile

Return to “Travel”