Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing beach for me, sheltered beach for my wife?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kitesurfing beach for me, sheltered beach for my wife?

Postby sergei Scotland » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:07 pm

Janus wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:04 pm
sergei Scotland wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:42 pm
Janus wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 pm
I suggest Flagbeach on Fuerteventura.
Best of both worlds..
There are nice shelters on the beach for your wife and you go out kiting.. she can even take her bikini of there.. 8)
Thanks. I am not good enough for Flag beach I think as can't stay upwind yet. I understand Flag beach launch is quit narrow/short so there is no space for the walk of shame style learning there. Correct? Probably in a year time I will be good enough?
Check the website / pdf for the services they offer; http://www.flagbeach.com/sites/default/ ... 0Beach.pdf
I think it’s ok for the both of you..
Thanks very much Janus.
I know Flag Beach is a great spot as I have been to Corralejo before - but never to the kitesurfing beach itself...

I am a bit confused here though. Flag beach site does say that they have 3 km sandy beach at their disposal. But at the same time they do not teach kitesurfing on the beach (they teach from a boat) as they say it is crowded and can be dangerous at low tide (rocks).
I think teaching/learning from a boat is not that great (4-6 people in the boat each getting 20 - 30 mins in the water with one kite taking turns - so i heard). So they must have a good reason for it - i.e. not enough space may be?

I do not need instruction most of the time (I took about 8 lessons already and went solo about 10 times so quit comfortable to learn my myself) - but just need to do lots of waterstarts/riding downwind and gradually learn to stay upwind.
I know most people would see me as a nuisance doing this - unless there is plenty of space...

May be someone could actually confirm for me - is it possible /allowed for a independent beginner do the "walk of shame" kind of learning at Flag Beach Fuerteventura.
Is there enough space to do this? Is there a beginner area of the beach where one can to do this kind of learning?

Thanks!

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:05 pm

sergei Scotland wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:07 pm
Janus wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:04 pm
sergei Scotland wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks. I am not good enough for Flag beach I think as can't stay upwind yet. I understand Flag beach launch is quit narrow/short so there is no space for the walk of shame style learning there. Correct? Probably in a year time I will be good enough?
Check the website / pdf for the services they offer; http://www.flagbeach.com/sites/default/ ... 0Beach.pdf
I think it’s ok for the both of you..
Thanks very much Janus.
I know Flag Beach is a great spot as I have been to Corralejo before - but never to the kitesurfing beach itself...

I am a bit confused here though. Flag beach site does say that they have 3 km sandy beach at their disposal. But at the same time they do not teach kitesurfing on the beach (they teach from a boat) as they say it is crowded and can be dangerous at low tide (rocks).
I think teaching/learning from a boat is not that great (4-6 people in the boat each getting 20 - 30 mins in the water with one kite taking turns - so i heard). So they must have a good reason for it - i.e. not enough space may be?

I do not need instruction most of the time (I took about 8 lessons already and went solo about 10 times so quit comfortable to learn my myself) - but just need to do lots of waterstarts/riding downwind and gradually learn to stay upwind.
I know most people would see me as a nuisance doing this - unless there is plenty of space...

May be someone could actually confirm for me - is it possible /allowed for a independent beginner do the "walk of shame" kind of learning at Flag Beach Fuerteventura.
Is there enough space to do this? Is there a beginner area of the beach where one can to do this kind of learning?

Thanks!
I was in Flag Beach. It's pretty big and it's not too crowded. But definitely not empty, so no probs with a walk of shame. But drag of shame would make a trouble.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Janus » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:30 pm

Kiting from a boot imo is launching all students / participants and after two hours (or more) all go on board again and go back to where they came from.. did this last spring in GC and its fun.
Waiting in turn for 20 min kiting is a no go indeed.
I think on flagbeach they drop all the participants in the water.
But they have also a rescue service for 30,- a week...

Return to “Travel”