Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

South Padre Island

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

South Padre Island

Postby beebad » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:54 am

I arrived yesterday for 4 days of kiteboarding. I was able to try my, new to me, cabrinha contra 15m light wind kite today and i like it. I also used my long bar and the combo was extraordinary, a session saver for sure.

Anyway, i am staying right across the street from the convention center. The winds here are typically SE. the launches are beautiful. I met a half dozen kiters today and not one was a local.

The vibe here on SPI is super friendly. I have been here in winter, and now in fall and have watched the wind meters from afar only to say that this place get consistent wind all the time.

I think everything here is really cheap, reasonable prices for seafood and everything in general.

I flew into harlingen because southwest flys there. I brought 4 kites:15,12,9,7 to cover most wind and i rented a twin tip when i got here. Made the most sense.

The water is shallow forever...launching in ankle deep water at north flats was a new experience. You wouldnt want to biff hard 2-400 ft from shore. $20 montly membership or 30$ yearly get you access to gated launches through the local kb club association.

South Padre Island rocks and is a well kept secret.

Return to “Travel”