Rockstar

Forum for kitesurfers
ASNewsForumFuzz
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ASNewsForumFuzz » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:28 am

Heres the thing man. Is everyone gonna wear a helmet? No...do I wear one...no. They are another 60 scrilla that some of us cant or dont want to put out. I am still practicing. I practicing with my Yarga11 in a WIDE open field. Nothing for like 1/2 mile. IF the wind picks up to where I am getting dragged upwind I put the kite down and head home. My first time flying the kite outside of my lesson I got picked up and held at 10 ft. At 10 ft I saw that I was gonna go higher so I de-powered the kite and let go at about 7 feet. I landed jumped back up and went home. Accidents happen. Sometimes there is nothing we can do about them. I think the biggest thing we can do is that every time you see someone new at your local kitespot you go talk to them. Make sure they know what they are doing...its just being friendly...and its being smart.

wavie_gravie
Medium Poster

Postby wavie_gravie » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:41 am

I agree.
In fact I had been out for 2 hours with no helmet.
Ego's need to drop and all help each other. It's worth it in the long run. Save a life, save a beach and who knows maybe make a friend, or better yet, the kharma comes back.

Some guys are talking about certifications to be allowed at some spots without an instructor. May be extreme, but a beach closing is worse. I don't have the answers but I am all for discussing, and hearing ideas.

I learned on a 2 line kite in maui in 35 mph winds 4-5 years ago. The power earned my respect quick. Things happen. I just think an ounce of provention

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Rockstar » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:24 am

wavie_gravie wrote:I was typing on the keyboard with a huge smile. Making up names was fun to pass time til my next session. WHich came today after I posted the comments on making the sport safer.

I had a 2 hour session on my 17. I came in to try the hellfish. I looked to my left and a guy is getting lifted while being held by another guy.

The guy let's him go (seems under control). Next thing you know he's dragged 50 feet, not letting go of the kite, and bounces like a pinball into the rocks (boulders...3rd ave). His lifeless body is twisted on the rocks as I yell for a cell phone to call an ambulance.

I was positive he was dead. Everyone was. He came to, and was a bloody mess.

He knew his name, but not much else. I'd say he was lucky...REAL lucky.

no more bashing or joking for me. You win rockstar...have fun.
I will be on other posts from now on discussing safety, and more important...training, beach edicate etc... We need to work together not against each other.

I am honestly shook up by it.
Sorry to hear about this guy. It must have been terrible to be a witness to the accident, It does tend to put a damper on a session.

I agree ,training and safety are THE most important things .
The emphasis on kite design needs to get away from the "higher.longer.quicker.loopier" spin,and put more effort into safety.

Its hard to believe that such a fun sport can be so bad when things go wrong.

selassie
Frequent Poster

Postby selassie » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:48 am

I agree.
Attachments
prince.jpg
prince.jpg (33.18 KiB) Viewed 956 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”