REAL disgraze

Forum for kitesurfers
windyinOregon
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby windyinOregon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:32 pm

It is fact, not jumping to conclusion. For fear of getting sued by REAL's family of lawyers, I'll leave the "how I know" out of this forum.

dark conscience kiter
Rare Poster

Postby dark conscience kiter » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:02 am

While were calling out REAL kiteboarding for a statement, it seems only fair to ask these shops to explain their side of the story as well..... since we haven't actually heard from any of the shops first hand, it seems to me like this is all just hearsay anyway... let's here it shops and instructors!!! Speak up!! :thumb:

K3rM1t
Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby K3rM1t » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:09 am

a lot of posts and another is probably unnecessary, but here I go anyway.

If anyone is having trouble with the Trademark Search site, do this:
Start here: http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm
Click Search on the right
Click Structured Form Search
Type "REAL Kiteboarding" as a search term, with the quotes

It's unfortunate that the legal documents for these 2 lawsuits aren't pubic (at least that I can find) since I'm really curious about why they decided to sue over this.

Trademarks are a very silly business. Look up Paris Hilton, or the term "That's Hot", or pretty much anything.

Greg7
Medium Poster

Postby Greg7 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:10 am

ttboy wrote:Will someone please put a REAL t-shirt on the old gay guy form key west GREG7.I know your ripped guy,, but come on,, bare chested pickle smokers aint for everyone. In fact someone photoshop a shirt for that guy :thumb: that and I;ll buy you a real gift certificate,,,WEak business practice ....too bad because Ocean Extreme are the best guys in the business.Even though Darryl whacks off to old ripped up knob jockeys on the internet
I usually don't pay attention to what people say, but being near KW you do have a point. Since I am neither old or gay, I hope the new "avvy" meets your approval 8)

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:23 am

Greg7 wrote:I usually don't pay attention to what people say, but being near KW you do have a point. Since I am neither old or gay, I hope the new "avvy" meets your approval 8)
What??? You're actually a naked girl???

Oh well... can't judge a book by it's avatar...

I, personally, have been using the phrase "water time" in my description of the stages to learning both windsurfing and kitesurfing for about 22 years. "You got the basics down now. All you need is some water-time to practice." 'Cept, you see, I hyphenated it. Does that mean I'm safe?

Jeez, I hope Real doesn't win. That means any ole focker can trademark any ole common phrase and start suing other people for using it. "Well, Hell, man... "TM

ttboy
Medium Poster

Postby ttboy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:23 am

THanks Greg7...Nah man you are in great shape but We'd rather look at girls in bathing suits .No offense(a little late now) sorry :cry: :cry: Anyways I 've known about this frivilous law suit since August and it smacks of extortion and is so f'ing lame ...Zero 2 hero is a cliche' in every sport and business...c'mon ,,,,water time is a term used when a golden shower is abouut to commence ha ha now that is appropriate for this instance....They can keep that term all for themselves....It's water time boys and girls!!!!!!!Yeeehah (let me get my REAL bathing cap and goggles on) your about to get soaked REAL style

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone

Postby North_Wind » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:27 am

nickr1977 wrote:You have asked me to respond to this post, so here it is.

My response is that I don’t have any specific information on these topics.

I will speak for myself and the rest of our present staff that we enjoy what we do, and we are stoked on kiteboarding.

Will anyone be in Hatteras this weekend to get the swell that is rolling in? NE 20knots with a solid NE swell coming down the pike. If so, hit me up for a session.

Go get out there and take some sessions.... I just got back from hitting it at the Lighthouse.

Other than that, see ya on the water!
Pathetic. Unless you have anything more to say then I can only conclude your company's behaviour is oppressive in the extreme.

Have a nice day.

North Wind

WILCO
Very Frequent Poster

Postby WILCO » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:39 am

LOL such a lawsuit wouldn't even stand a chance here.. usa land of the "free" :lol:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:45 am

too many speculations going on here.

This thread does not do any good for whoever...so it gets moved to Flamer's Paradise.

McKite
Medium Poster

Postby McKite » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:49 am

Obviously everyone in the kiting community feels the whole thing is ridiculous. I've been to Real for lessons when I was first starting out and I have to say they did a top notch job. I have since recommended the school to others looking for the fastest, safest way to get into the sport. Their focus on marketing is understandable in a competitive business but has begun to come off too strong as of late.

That they choose to make a legal issue of terms as generic as 'water time" and "ground control" is disappointing. They have numerous other named lessons, e.g. Double down, Getting Lit, Holy Grail, etc.... that might justify trademark protection but what really is to be gained from that?

While I feel neither case has justifiable merit they are going after two very different companies. Kitty Hawk Kites operates in the same general area as Real and focuses on instruction as much as retail. The geographic proximity might give their case some legs.

Ocean Extreme Sports however operates 4 states away in Florida. Lessons seem to be minor part of their business as opposed to REAL. I think the issue with Ocean Extreme is that they are such an excellent retailer - they do a lot of business, will beat almost any price and in my opinion have better selection and cost than does REAL. I think that the lawsuit directed at Ocean Extreme is designed to be punitive for their expertise as a retailer and the competition they represent rather than anything to do with infringing on intellectual property regarding lessons.

REAL should think this through - it is bad blood for the kiting community. Though I still think they are great at teaching kiting it will be hard for me to recommend them after this. Is that really the sentiment they are after?

Return to “Kitesurfing”