Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco
Style: Magoo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing Banned in Cumbuco

Postby theadebo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:16 pm

I've been informed by an upstanding member of the local Cumbuco business community that kitesurfing is to be banned in Cumbuco (Brazil) by the local Prefucture (Council) and will be enforced by the police. Anybody kitesurfing in the central village of Cumbuco faces arrest.

The no kitesufing zone operates between the two AMT check points; upwind mark is close to Duro beach hotel, downwind mark is just past Hi-life kitesurfing school. This means that kiting in-front of the Dutch kitesurf school located at Coconut bar, Blue Wind kitesurf School and Pousada, Eco Paradise Hotel, the soon to be built Kairiri Beach Hotel and Kairiri Apartments and Hi-life kitesurf school is not allowed. Obviously this is something of a problem for the kitesurfing schools :bye: . As there also seems to be no outer limit ie. 400m from shore etc this also precludes anybody from downwinding from upwind of Hi-life to Cauipe lagoon and all spots South, you'll have to walk the 1km (approx) exclusion zone or start your ride from Hi-Life.

The source of complaints which are leading to the ban are from the manager of Velas Du Cumbuco, a beach Barracca where Brazillians sit on their arses all day eating themselves silly and drinking themselves into a stupor. To the best of my knowledge, no customers from Velas have ever been hurt or injured by kitesurfers, so why the manager wants the sport banned is beyond my logic. Ironically the owner of Velas is also the co-owner of one of the affected kitesurfing schools.

Talk about shitting on your own doorstep?!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kitesurfing Banned in Cumbuco

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:39 pm

well, there is a non kiting zone right in front of the village.
Too small to launch anyway.

Everything else is just rumors.
All needs to be done is to put some buoys between HiLife and Velas.
This way we can kite in front of Hilife and get the kickers and no people are around.

Hi-Life
Rare Poster

Postby Hi-Life » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:57 pm

There is no ban on kiting...

The only thing is that during the peak times when the biggest beach restaurant in Cumbuco is full to capacity (600 people) there are around 50-60 swimming in the sea.

During these times kiting in this area, directly in front of Velas is not a good idea.

A swimming zone for the normal tourists is going to be established - with marker bouys to solve this issue. Meaning that 50 meters of the many kilometers of beach will be out of bounds - a sensibe move to make everyone safe.

All kiters with curtessy and common sense will agree with this...

Regards Jamie, Hi-Life Cumbuco.

PS: Toby - nice moves today dude...

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:59 pm

Toby wrote:well, there is a non kiting zone right in front of the village.
Too small to launch anyway.

Everything else is just rumors.
All needs to be done is to put some buoys between HiLife and Velas.
This way we can kite in front of Hilife and get the kickers and no people are around.
Be sure an update your kitebeaches dot com. info Toby.

It's so important to share....

That's your story isn't it?

Did I get that right?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:38 pm

not really.
Rules:

- Restricted Zones

There's traffic of buggies, quads and horses on the beach. Do not kite in front of the main village, where all the beach restaurants are. Look out for tourists on the beach. Cumbuco is the closest tourist destination near Fortaleza and therefore it's the chosen one day destination for almost all tourist getting to the city, also there are trips of dune buggy available to the ones interested to ride the buggy on

Cumbuco
Medium Poster

Postby Cumbuco » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:14 pm

Hi guys

the ban is nonsense ... The owner of Velas Du Cumbuco is also the owner of Kiteschool Hi Life !

Will he complain ?

Cheers Mario

http://www.Cumbuco-Guesthouse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.Cumbuco-Hostel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ( 1st Hostel in Cumbuco )

theadebo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco
Style: Magoo

Postby theadebo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:50 pm

Hi-Life wrote:There is no ban on kiting...
That's funny Jamie, because what I wrote above is EXACTLY what YOU told me on the beach on Tuesday. :? Don't you remember?

Of course after I informed everyone else of the bad news you had to retract your LIES the very next day, as everyone in the village was extremely worried about your news. Reading what you have written above still doesn't correspond with what you said to me on Wednesday... it has been further watered down. Don't you remember that either? Let me remind you, it was the 'we are mates' chat we had in the barracca. :roll: The question then has to be why did you lie? TWICE!?

Everyone in Cumbuco is free to kite wherever they wish, except in front of the central square which is a swimming zone. Several people, mainly the young Brazilian riders, do kite in amoungst the swimmers at Velas. My position remains exactly the same as it always has, I kite in front of Kairiri beach (upwind of everyone at Velas and Hi-life as the break there creates perfect 1/4 pipe kickers and because no one else either kiter or swimmer uses that area frequently) and I will continue to kite in front of Kairiri beach until your kitesurfing ban is in place. If the sweaty little man from Velas doesn't like it then he can suck my monster black cock... especially if he is going to continue to be rude, obnoxious, confrontational and aggressive. If he wants aggressive I'll give him aggressive!

That he is perfectly happy to let the Jagandas plough through the swimmers all day everyday is an irony that has not passed me by. Especially the fact that the Jagandas are far less manouverable and as a result pose a much greater threat to the swimmers. Let's not even start with the tragic young girl that was killed IN Velas.

Hi-Life
Rare Poster

Postby Hi-Life » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:31 pm

My original post still stands;

- Be courteous to swimmers and other beach users at all times.

- At no time (verbally or written) did I, or anyone else say there was a ban Adebo - I only asked that you be courteous to the other beach users, Cumbuco does attract other tourists too.

Then we avoid any need for any measures and everyone has a great time on the beach and in the sea.

Its Brazil - lets just relax a little dude.

Return to “Kitesurfing”