:jump: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:

Experimental player
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: REPORT UNETHICAL KITE COMPANIES HERE

Postby Experimental player » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:07 am

Winkipop is OK and Lygon st for dinner. Great for bearded ladies.

Generic-Imitation
Frequent Poster

Postby Generic-Imitation » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:53 am

where is the troll farm? illegal production of forum trolls.

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ian c » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:29 am

"There are thousands of bridle kite time bombs out there being flown."

I actually agree, as these kites get ridden in higher and higher wind - when the bridle does get wrapped around the tip into an uncontrollable high up death loop it will be catastrophic. I am not saying that 5th or 4 line c kites are not doing this ever - anything that can go wrong will go wrong - but over the past 2 years I have heard about more and more riders being dragged violently by their bow kites/hybrids and started to hear about deaths from this too. The flip side is that bow kites have probably (well most likely) reduced the number of injuries in riders starting out, and helped give inspiration to non bow/hybrid designs to have far more depower when the bar is let go of.

As for flipping inside out kites - the flatter they are and more balanced they are to fly of the front lines/ depower greatly - seems the more likely they are to flip.

"because I was tangled up in the extra line when trying to roll up the lines on the bar" the thing with 5th line is that even if it does go wrong, pulling just 1.5m on the 5th line is like having someone up in the air grabbing your kite by the leading edge - unless it all gets tangled - but anything can happen..

Please carry on flaming each other - makes me laugh!

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:36 am

I made that up. I'm just taking the piss out of experimental because his anti bow rhetoric is getting a tad boring.

Dann
Medium Poster

Postby Dann » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:56 am

Experimental player wrote:All the companies making kites with bridles.

I bought the first xbow and it inverted. :roll: The bridle then tangled and caused uncontrollable death loops dragging my exgirlfriend 50m up the beach. She didnt like kiteboarding and we broke up.
Ever since Im antibridle cause its false marketing, and performance isnt what I want.

There are thousands of bridle kite time bombs out there being flown. These will fail one day causing serious injuries.
You probably should have showed her where the safety was.

.Joel
Medium Poster

Postby .Joel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:04 am

Experimental player wrote:All the companies making kites with bridles.

I bought the first xbow and it inverted. :roll: The bridle then tangled and caused uncontrollable death loops dragging my exgirlfriend 50m up the beach. She didnt like kiteboarding and we broke up.
Ever since Im antibridle cause its false marketing, and performance isnt what I want.

There are thousands of bridle kite time bombs out there being flown. These will fail one day causing serious injuries.
Maybe next time if you should have spent more time educating her where the final release was and she wouldn't have been dragged.

Regards,

Joel

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:13 am

MissionMan wrote:I made that up. I'm just taking the piss out of experimental because his anti bow rhetoric is getting a tad boring.
At least now we know why he hates bows.... lost his girlfiend to a first-gen-beau.... :cry:

Sure hope she made it through okay... :flower:

Don't worry... there'll be others.... :pervert:

You won't always be out on the platform drilling for dinos... :prison:

One day, you'll find the girl of your dreams.... :buttsmile:

And, she'll take care of you... :allbegood:

and, you'll realize it wasn't the beau that made the first one leave... :duel:

lucie
Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: Airush Diamond kites and Airush Diamond board.

Postby lucie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:15 am

Windrider wrote:[
At least now we know why he hates bows.... lost his girlfiend to a first-gen-beau.... :cry:
Exactly what I thought, Windrider. Now we know why he is so damn bitter. Got his heart broken by a bow kite.

rafjaf
Medium Poster

Postby rafjaf » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:56 am

I have to say that in some way I agree with Experimental Player,
I started kitesurfing with C kites and my progression was really slow for 6 months. I then bought bow kites and rode them for a year. I absolutely loved them, thought that they were the future of the sport and the best thing out there. I progressed at such a speed compare to my previous experience with the C kites. However in the space of 1 year I had :
- 1 selflaunch were thebridle got tangled on the wingtip resulting in death spiral : Fair enough you can say it was my fault I should have double checked properly when I selflaunched.
- 1 line breaking on me on the bar pulley : honestly you really couldn't see that the line was weared off.
- 5 front pulley broke while flying resulting in death spiral: for 4 of them it happened while riding or at landing so nothing bad really happened, for one of them i was boosting on high wind and the front pulley broke on the top of the jump which must have been easily 20 feet high. The kite looped 2 times before i was smacked and winded out on the water, thank god the water was waist deep and i was able to stand up.
Since then I've never trusted any kites with pulleys anymore and I'm back to C kite and fifth line.

Now I have to add that I've always ride in suicide mode or freesstyle mode as they call it because there was no 5th line system in those bow kite. And to be honest I might have been beggining but there was no way I was riding a kite i just bought and not be able to unspin the bar after rotation.
So i suppose my example is a bit specific, if your bow kite does have a fifth line that's a big plus because at least you can totally depower the kite and do rotation and don't have to sacrifice one for another.
However you still have the problem of the pulleys and they should definitely do something about it. You can't sell a product knowing that the weakest point in it result in a death spiral.
How often a line break on a C kite honestly? Not as often as a pulley on a bow.
At least Cabrinha seems to be innovativing in this one with the IDS, from what they say, if the front line pulley brake you can still totally depower the kite. That's great.

And I just want to finish by saying that in no way i hate bow kite or people riding it, honestly i couldn't care less what kite people are using. It's just that, from my experience, I don't feel safe riding kite with pulleys anymore and no-one can go on the water throwing jumps and tricks not trusting his equipment.

Raphael

Return to “Kitesurfing”