Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Are the Euros ruining kiting? Answer is yes.

Forum for kitesurfers
Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Are the Euros ruining kiting? Answer is yes.

Postby Jbrook » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:50 am

I have lived in Brasil for the last 7 years where the majority of visiting kiters are Euros. For many months we could ride and peace and harmony in Paracuru where I lived, I normally kite around 300 plus days a year. Come August as the Euros start to invade Brasil our spot turns into a battle ground. Is it so hard to learn priority for the spot you are riding?? is it so hard to look before you jibe nice person?? I am confrontational so I never minded calling people out who were acting like assholes on the water, but I never felt like the people changed how they rode after we had a talk. Always voices got raised but normally they were cowards and backed down and went to sit back at their table with the 10 idiots who they travel with from home. It might be normal for you to wrap someone at home daily but here it is not. In my 7 years here I have only wrapped up with someone once and it was his fault he fell doing a transition 5 feet from shore I was standing on the beach talking to friends with my kite low over the sand and he still wrapped me. Next he threw his release and his leash so now I had 2 kites pulling me. As I decided what to do I looked downwind it was a Saturday and there were some swimmers in the water straight downwind and a few people on the beach luckily two of the locals boys saw what was going on and got to the kites as I struggled to hold them down as I had waded out to waist deep water to help me not get dragged straight downwind as that is how our spot is. This year I almost had my head cut off by a guy who was with Core who they did a demo at our spot for a month for the dealers one of their team guys or someone very close to them who I have seen for numerous years was coming off the bottom of a wave I think on the inside he turned and dove his kite so fast and so close to me it made me flinch really hard. So I went up to him as he was coming off the water and told him a few things like the arrogant kook he was like I didnt see you what did I do?? He knew what he did and was a smart ass he deserved a beating, his level is very high thus he should be aware of anyone very close downwind to him, a few friends of mine confirmed how close his kites came to me less than a foot for sure German nice person they are some of the worst when confronted. Master race yeah right :rollgrin: Toby is the coolest German I know and Gerhard also so no offense boys. Many times when it one guy traveling alone or with one other friend they take the time to learn the rules or talk to locals but when it is just a big group of kooks they think they can act however. It is so bad some of the local kiters do not even kite at the spot during the season they exclusively go downwind but I think that is ridiculous they never ride at the spot which is one of the best in the world. I come from a surfing background where respect and courtesy are very important when you are traveling around if not you usually get your ass beat and or run out. But these idiot kiters seem to think they are entitled because they spent a bunch of money on equipment and their trip to act like assholes. Go back to golf assholes. I tried to talk to the Pousada owners who are mostly Italian to educate their guests with a few signs around Pousada or whatever but since these guys are kooks they don't see the big deal. They just sit around smoking cigarettes all day and acting arrogant like they are the shit, fricking kooks. It is called sustainable growth you nice person. You move half way around the world and want to make a buck off a country that is poor and do not understand this concept?? You fucking Euros think you are better than Americans that is where I am from just goes to show you are uneducated travelers and deserve to be thrashed. So read this as constructive criticism and tighten up your game Barney. Of course there are many super cool Euros but definitely the minority when it should be the majority. :angryfire: :rollgrin: :nono: So if you don't like this letter you can piss off!
Last edited by Jbrook on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Are the Euros ruing kiting? Answer is yes.

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:29 pm

Always funny to hear the yanks moan about tourists...

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:50 pm

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:11 pm

As the trolls start to comment I just laugh. f*** off kook I teach you to respect Yanks someday Barney can you even kite or are you just an internet troll. :bye:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:11 pm

Well I do. We also get an influx of Europeans along the west coast of Australia and the locals do get somewhat frustrated. Normally a chat or two sorts it out, but I've had to stop plenty of visitors going home with less able body parts than they came with. No doubt the tolerance level is getting tested.

I suppose one is on holidays with a crew of great friends and hence maybe one can become a little lax in behaving courteously on and off the water. And I also offer that maybe these guys normally are used to kiting in very crowded spots and we are not.

The positive message to visitors here, you are More than welcome to share our sun surf and wind but be respectful and learn the local 'customs' as we would if we visited your country.

If not you run the risk of meeting some angry aussie who tend to punch first and ask questions later. I know I stopped 3 potential incidents at one spot last season. If my mates had followed through it wouldn't have been pretty..for you.

We have enough local kooks causing problems, don't add to the mix.

But on the whole met some awesome people this season.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:17 pm

Thank for adding to the post Westozzy I agree with all you say. JGTR another kook if you do not have anything to add well... :angryfire:

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Oh JBrook, every time you reply it shows that despite claiming you don't care what I think in reality you actually do.......

Here's what I think.....but as you've already said you don't care

-Artic rider
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby -Artic rider » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:45 pm

Just minor reminder:

Europe is a continent which consist of 50 different nations. To make maybe accurate claims about some idiots I would hope that you wouldn't consider any group of people as "euros." There is not such a thing. I don't know a single person who would think themselves as "euros"

There are many different countries with different cultures and habits. Each European country has their very own type of nice people and very own kind of idiots...

manicskier
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Port Melbourne, Altona
Style: kook
Gear: 14m Liquid Force Havoc 09
9m Best Waroo 07

Postby manicskier » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:00 pm

You are a racist cunt. Fuckoff

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:13 pm

Sorry to hear this, I can understand your frustration.
Normally things can work out on crowded spots if people care, no matter where they come from.
Cauipe lagoon has similar problems...and it is even more packed there! Ignorant people drop into the jumping area, not using it as such, ruining it for the others.
One have to tell them, since most are not aware of it. Only way to do. But always do it in a mannered way...the way you write won't help with understanding.

And there idiots in every country...

And for groups...mostly they cause problems, no matter where they are from!
But, even worse if from a country with high machismo.

A good approach would be creating a sheet with behaviors in certain spots and spread it all over the guesthouses, hotels, internet and at the spot. I am sure this will help.

Anyway, good luck for it! And pls think about the words you use on hear, then people are more likely to listen.

Enjoy the good winds and empty spots in the offseason!

Return to “Kitesurfing”