Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Timmy is in the hospital (kitesurfing accident)

Forum for kitesurfers
TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Re: Timmy is in the hospital (kitesurfing accident)

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:25 am

Do-it wrote:I'm with matth....... knotwindy and iblocalsurfer....get yourself halfway decent medical insurance. If think you are getting better treatment in mexico, it's probably because you treat the ER like it's a fucking doctors office. I honestly can't believe someone would even compare the quality of us doctors to fucking mexico. What idiots. Why do you think len10 ended up here begging for money when he had free health care at home????? Guess he should have went to mexico???? Lol stupid fucks
My comment was directed at Math's statement about Americans going to Mexico for superior service, which is true. I actually agreed with you about "treatments" being superior here in the US. You can't comprehend simple text and your calling me the idiot.
The insurance I currently have is what almost every certified teacher in California has. Before that, I was a college student working part time and had none. Before that, I was covered under my dad who was in the military. And you are probably right about my insurance being inferior to yours. However, it's the best medical insurance I've ever had and feel very fortunate to have the coverage that I do. And, there's no way I could afford more coverage than I already have.
I actually do not go to the doctors in TJ, only the dentist. However, I have taken a couple of friends and one aquantince to emergency rooms in Baja after an accident(one surfing, one kiting, one ATV) and stand my comments on the service I witnessed. So, how many doctors/dentists have you been to in Mexico?
Last edited by TommyDuotone on Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:42 am

tautologies wrote:
iblocalsurfer wrote:My wife, who's now 5 months pregnant,.
Congrats..make sure you check your post birth bills...my buddy kept on getting bills from all over after his wife gave birth. The health insurance, where they had a $4k deductible, felt that they should bill my buddy for epidural on his wife long after they passed the $4k threshold...because it was a benefit to his his then still in the womb son, and his separate $4k wasn't exhausted yet.....

Thanks for the heads up Taut :thumb:

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby NHKitesurfer » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:17 pm

The only US residents I know of who sought treatment in Mexico over the US did so because Mexico had experimental drugs not approved in the US. And the only Doctors I know practicing in Mexico were kicked out of the US. It seems as though really difficult procedures originating in other countries often get transferred to the US where its believed we have the best care in the world. That said I have no idea if the quality of treatment is better (than the US) in other countries.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:59 pm

Sorry, coming in late here...

Timmy - get better bro, that's the most important thing

And - its law now that all americans must be on a healthcare plan. Even the most EXPENSIVE ones must have no more than a $6500 (roughly) deductible per individual ($12,000 family). That's for both employer provided plans and individual Obama care plans. And these usually cost $200 or so per month for individual (very affordable). And, if you make less than $65,000 or something like that annual household income, then that monthly premium goes down significantly to almost nothing - tax payers cover it.

So at worst, from my understanding, Timmy should be out no more than $6500 to cover this accident.

Disclaimer - I could be wrong but from my own shopping around for insurance plans via US Healthcare marketplace (healthcare.gov) the above is what I found as the most affordable, but higher deductible.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:03 pm

And the charity of Americans is outstanding. We have many world class hospitals that offer their services for free, St Judes, Shriners, just to name a few. And that 30% that don't have coverage are never denied emergency care and help with other life threatening ailments. My local hospital offers interpreters in 40 different languages to accommodate patients. Americans do believe in personal responsibility and hard work, but the notion that we do not take care of our poor is ridiculous...

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:26 pm

I think everyone here will agree that the U.S. has the most talented doctors and best facilities available in the world. In fact, many of the best doctors from other countries come here to either study or practice as well. And, if I ever was in a critical condition, I would not seek medical attention in another country unless that was my only option.
The reality is that most of us will never get that kind of care because we could never afford it. Do-it, stated that Ruben Lenton, one of the most high profile kiters, is begging(his words) for funds to help him treat cancer. And this thread was started to help Timmy raise funds for his medical needs. Pretty sad that we have to come on public forums and start fund-me campaigns so a friend/family doesn't die or face financial hardship. So yeah, we do have the best doctors and medical facilities in the entire world, just not the access to them.
Last edited by TommyDuotone on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:33 pm

skullcandy wrote:.....Even the most EXPENSIVE ones must have no more than a $6500 (roughly) deductible per individual ($12,000 family)...... And these usually cost $200 or so per month for individual (very affordable).
Just bought my $6500 deductible policy for 2016......$660 per month. That is the cheapest available to me in Florida.

Cost and availability of insurance in USA depends on lots of factors, including where you live and income level. I agree that medical care in the USA is very good, but the insurance industry (health, property, automobile, life - all types of insurance) in the USA is a despicable racket and has significantly reduced the quality of our medical care.

Best of luck to Timmy in his recovery.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby corbett » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:41 pm

Last edited by corbett on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:44 pm

You are welcome, I wish him the best in rapid treatment and recovery.

That is pretty gusty, must have been real tough in the old C kite days. Still, if he was close to, perhaps not even that close to the vessel and got popped by a nice 20 mph or more gust it might explain the impact. Good luck to you folks up there particularly on westerly days.
NHKitesurfer wrote:
RickI wrote:Heal fully and fast Timmy. I just sent in a donation, it was easy.

Do you have any idea what the wind speed and gust range were like? Was there much wind land effect depending on rider location?
Thanks for the donation - the community is rallying to help Timmy.

Wind average was 15mph with gusts to 35mph from the west which is always gusty here in New Hampshire.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:03 pm

corbett wrote:Some of the people in this thread crying about the cost of healthcare buy North Kites :lol: :lol: .

Boo Hoo, denounce feminism and American imperialism and I might actually care about you.

Bye feminists.
Whaaa????? :-? :?: :?: :?:

Return to “Kitesurfing”