Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

MHL Lift Insert Damage with Foothooks - Warning and How to Repair?

Forum for kitesurfers
max
Very Frequent Poster

Re: MHL Lift Insert Damage with Foothooks - Warning and How to Repair?

Postby max » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:39 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:39 pm
There's a huge risk you will cause exothermic ( heat) and melt the Eps foam. Eps sucks, I hate it.
Sucks water, doesn't take any exothermic, too soft.
Kosta's approach might work.

I would remove pad 100mm around. Route out the glass and foam about 10mm bigger than insert, glue in HD foam to fill hole, route out for insert, glue in with epoxy and fumed silica, grind flush and put 3 layers of glass over it. Drill out holes for that insert and put pad patch back on.

People don't realise how much work it is to fix these things.

I agree with Tom if you are looking for a proper job.

Am really surprised that it was not done this way to start with . . . the insert placed straight into EPS probably relies on the glass covering it to provide the holding strength.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:02 am

TomW wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:39 pm
Get a slingshot foothook that flexes.
I already broke a Slingshot foot hook. Now I consider a disposable hook preferable to pulling an insert.

I will probably go for a strap as I think the forces are less. I just need enough to hold the board for a water start. Is interesting I can water start a thin crazyfly foil board strapless but this floaty thing not so much. The soft nose and rails do help me a lot in touchdowns at my beginner stage.

handy
Medium Poster
Gear: wave
Brand Affiliation: ahcustoms.ch
Has thanked: 0

Postby handy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:37 am

the main problem in this case is the Chinnok insert. To me it looks like the epoxy did never stick properly to the insert.
Chinook inserts MUST to be cleaned with Aceton !! Even better to sand them first with a 60 grid and then clean'em with Aceton.
Problem #2 is that there was no glas over the inserts. One should put 2-3 layers of 6 oz glas over the inserts .
Over all the problem is the very poor craftsman ship.
Actually Chinnok inserts and boxes are the only reason why you need Aceton in your workshop.

Return to “Kitesurfing”