Click Bar Highlights

Forum for kitesurfers
Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Click Bar Highlights

Postby Jbrook » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:59 pm

Not true slacked 5th line makes kite react slower. When kite is depowered alot kite flies different with 5th sagging.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:37 am

Jbrook wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:59 pm
Not true slacked 5th line makes kite react slower. When kite is depowered alot kite flies different with 5th sagging.
All kites react slower when depowered. This has nothing to do with the 5th line which is "loaded" to maintain the kite canopy shape at all times.. at least this is the way North, Naish and other top brands are designed. If your kite is old and does not have a "loaded" 5th line then your 5th line should always be slack enough so it doesn't distort the kite. In either case a 5th line should not change the kite shape when depowering.

:wink: CG

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:33 am

Puetz wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:45 am
... my favorite bit is I can loop the kite as many times as I like and noooooo twisting of any lines.
I do have three minor complaints about the otherwise very clean and addicting bar.

I'd like the adjustment to be half as long. Since it is a backline 1:1 system vice the 1:2 frontline cleat, and since it adjusts in discreet increments, I would kind of like a second step.

Untwisting is cool, but it comes a price and is a bit sticky when agressive turning of the kite and sheeting out. My normal method was to use one hand but now use two hands so I can push out. I'd probably trade untwisting for smoother sheeting while turning. Because also, if you don't get your front lines to the vee untwisted before you launch, you can't straighten them out

And last, I think the left floaty should be dominantly red instead of light blue with a little bit of red. There is so much red around I think North got a bit cute with the color scheme. My slow mind doesn't always pick out the direction of the bar immediately.

I did write to North about these concerns and was told they would be shared with the design team. I thought that was an excellent response.

Again, really nice to have such a clean bar with nothing dangling around.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby alford » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:37 am

How is the durability of the grip material?

balticswell
Medium Poster

Postby balticswell » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:59 am

Yes, I fully agree on the (NKB) theory, but in reality there is a difference how the kite feels when the 5th line is loaded just above the Y and when its loaded through the whole lenght. Thats why Rebel and Vegas fly perfectly with a new (out of the bag) 5th el. bar, but after some time (when the lines get shrinked) it changes and you have to play around with 5 lines to get the primary performance.
Good that all the NKB kites are now on 4 lines, and I think its just a matter of time, when we see a 4lined Vegas also.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Sorry CG my kites are new dont be such a know it all you are off on this one.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:37 pm

balticswell wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:59 am
Yes, I fully agree on the (NKB) theory, but in reality there is a difference how the kite feels when the 5th line is loaded just above the Y and when its loaded through the whole lenght. Thats why Rebel and Vegas fly perfectly with a new (out of the bag) 5th el. bar, but after some time (when the lines get shrinked) it changes and you have to play around with 5 lines to get the primary performance.
Good that all the NKB kites are now on 4 lines, and I think its just a matter of time, when we see a 4lined Vegas also.
There should be slack under the Y regardless of how your trim setting is, otherwise your 5fth gets more tensioned when you fully powered up and that is not how the kite is designed or should fly. Naish did put a bungee in their 5fth line so there was alway slack below the Y. Sadly North only put some knots in the flagout line to accomodate for shrinking lines so you have massive sagging when you pull the trim or a too short 5fth when powered up.

Now i'm thinking about it, this explains all the Rebels I saw over the years with a massive dent in the middle due to a way too tight 5fth line.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Haha funny how posts get lost, I never see my 5th line stretch really just didnt like when I depowered kite say more than 50% was not the right tension for me on Vegas 2015 and 2017 just my experience. FYI I ride qlines almost no stretch on lines at all is awesome.

Return to “Kitesurfing”