Pulleys on kites

Forum for kitesurfers
windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pulleys on kites

Postby windrider1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:57 pm

i don't know wht people have against pulleys this nonsense pulley hate started a few years back but is not based on any science a good kite needs a pulley to perform smoothly and efficiently . That's 100 % fact. Some kites may have a boomerang springy feel to it with pulleys but its designer choice and not automatic because the kite has pulleys. A kite without a pulley has more negatives than positive in my opiion .

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:04 pm

plummet wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:24 pm
All ozone lei's are pullyless.

What do pullies give you?
Potentially more depowered and turning for less bar stroke.

Disadvantage can be more vague less direct feel, moving parts wear out faster than static bridles.
I have an old Ozone Edge, (2008) that still flies some-what OK , (other than a stretched TE)
because i never left it in the sun , when not in use, and never dragged on the beach , launching
or landing it ; i'm thinking of adding a modified bridal and pulley, just to see what happens.
Anyone wanna guess what the results will be ?

I don't care about the more vague Feel ; i'm a fly by numbers pilot anyway,
and same goes for kiting.

Bille

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:31 pm

Bille wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:04 pm
I have an old Ozone Edge, (2008)
Bille
That is a decent older kite, a little flat and underpowered but good kite.
When I had one I got rid off the anti invert lines and I build a normally functioning bar. If I find a pic I will pm.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:41 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:31 pm

That is a decent older kite,
Yea -- i got rid of my anti invert lines also . :thumb:

That kite wasn't as powerful as the newer Edges ; but it had a WAY bigger
wind-range. It should make a good kite to try pulleys on ?

Bille

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:19 pm

windrider1 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:57 pm
i don't know wht people have against pulleys this nonsense pulley hate started a few years back but is not based on any science a good kite needs a pulley to perform smoothly and efficiently . That's 100 % fact.
What is the incontrovertible science that proves that kites can only "perform smoothly and efficiently" if they have pulleys?
windrider1 wrote:Some kites may have a boomerang springy feel to it with pulleys but its designer choice and not automatic because the kite has pulleys. A kite without a pulley has more negatives than positive in my opiion .
What are the negatives that kites without pulleys always suffer from?
Last edited by iriejohn on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:29 pm

windrider1 wrote:
i don't know wht people have against pulleys this nonsense pulley hate started a few years back but is not based on any science a good kite needs a pulley to perform smoothly and efficiently . That's 100 % fact. Some kites may have a boomerang springy feel to it with pulleys but its designer choice and not automatic because the kite has pulleys. A kite without a pulley has more negatives than positive in my opiion .
The whole point is that a good kite doesn't need pulleys. They're a quick fix.

The most nervous and unstable kite I've ever flown was a 2017 popular big brand model with 2 pulleys per side... Second worst was a 2016 popular model with sliders. Indeed, that boomerang feel. And the smoothest kites....guess what?

wind chaser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: California
Style: Free-Surf-Foil
Gear: Slingshot, Best, Duotone
Been thanked: 0

Postby wind chaser » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:58 pm

I have a 10m 2014 RPM with pulleys and bought a 10m 2016 RPM with no pulleys. Use the same bar and can’t tell much of a difference. Does it matter that much?

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby OceanAdventures » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:14 pm

There was a year or two when I know Cabrinha and maybe a few other brands went with a lesser quality pully (there were black and had no name on them). That was the only time I saw pulley failure happen regularly. I want to say it was 09 and 10 kites but don’t quote me. The fix was sending out chromed rings to replace the pulleys.

Since then every pulley I have seen has been a Rostand pulley and in all of my kites I have never had a pully failure. They can get stuck and wear the bridle line.

That might be where some the anti pulley thoughts are coming from.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windrider1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:04 pm

In engineering a pulley is a tool used to apply what is called mechanical advantage to a task . In other words its used to reduce the amount of force required to move a heavy load, In kiting in general were dealing with heavy loads and a constant changing in force required to moved this load . Right at this point in time there is no better simple mechanism to use to manage and control these forces better than a pulley on a kite . Going pulley less is just a fad that has no basis in science . Some of the negatives of pulley less kites are heavy bar pressure, off and on power delivery and instability of the kite at certain times . now these can be controlled in various ways but u always loose something in the return.

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:19 pm
windrider1 wrote:
i don't know wht people have against pulleys this nonsense pulley hate started a few years back but is not based on any science a good kite needs a pulley to perform smoothly and efficiently . That's 100 % fact.
What is the incontrovertible science that proves that kites can only "perform smoothly and efficiently" if they have pulleys?
windrider1 wrote:Some kites may have a boomerang springy feel to it with pulleys but its designer choice and not automatic because the kite has pulleys. A kite without a pulley has more negatives than positive in my opiion .
What are the negatives that kites without pulleys always suffer from?

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windrider1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:06 pm

2 pulleys on a kite are quite unecesasry and thst why u don't see them anymore. A good kite needs a pulley. some people just don't know what a good kite is .
Faxie wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:29 pm
windrider1 wrote:
The whole point is that a good kite doesn't need pulleys. They're a quick fix.

The most nervous and unstable kite I've ever flown was a 2017 popular big brand model with 2 pulleys per side... Second worst was a 2016 popular model with sliders. Indeed, that boomerang feel. And the smoothest kites....guess what?
Last edited by windrider1 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”