Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foot straps and foot injuries

Forum for kitesurfers
mmeyers12
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I wish I had a local beach....
Style: Freeride, Waves, Hydrofoil
Gear: 10m Fone Diablo
8m Orbit
7m GTS
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Foot straps and foot injuries

Postby mmeyers12 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:40 am

I recently had a couple sessions in really high wind. After which the top of my foot hurt slightly and hurt greatly when I kiteboarded with a twin tip again. I had just put on new foot straps and I am thinking the repetitive impact on the top of my foot caused some bone bruising to occur (although there are no visible signs of bruising). I don't remember any other injury occurring on the water out of the ordinary but it has been a month now and the top of my foot still hurts. In fact, I have only been using a strapless surfboard and not a twin tip as I think this will just prolong the injury.

Is this common for bone bruising to occur on the top of the foot? If so, how long does it normally take to heal? Any recommendations to expedite the healing process?

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Re: Foot straps and foot injuries

Postby rynhardt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 am

It may be prudent to have a doctor look at the injury.
I for one haven't experienced anything similar with footstraps.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:18 pm

did you maybe fall and your foot didnt come out of the strap? i got a minor fracture on my 1st metatarsal when i fell and my foot bent upward against the strap, even though they were really loose and I should have come out :/ still hurts over a year later, sometimes.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:22 pm

Aleve for two weeks to take down inflammation.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:23 pm

dylan* wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:18 pm
did you maybe fall and your foot didnt come out of the strap? i got a minor fracture on my 1st metatarsal when i fell and my foot bent upward against the strap, even though they were really loose and I should have come out :/ still hurts over a year later, sometimes.
3 months ago I got a metatarsal injury from getting twisted while not getting my left foot out of the strap when stopping a session. Went to the DR who asked if I wanted an x-ray to which I replied if there's no treatment for a fracture/chopped bone/etc then there's no point in having an x-ray is there? She agreed and said just to rest my foot while knowing full well that I wouldn't ;-) Is sore from time to time, just hope that my left boot won't be too painful while skiing in 3 weeks time.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:33 pm

like others have said you must have twisted your foot in the strap in a crash but forgot about it. I've never heard of injuries from the strap by itself, you have to crash and twist your ankle. Sometimes you don't feel those injuries until the next day when it swells up, which is why you don't remember it.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:38 am

Broke one of the metatarsal bones in my foot 3.5 years ago when I couldn't get my foot out of a strap while getting caught by the washing machine. It was the outer one so that hurt a little more than one of the middle ones I think. Had a cast for a couple of weeks and the bone healed quickly. Because the blood flow to those bones is limited, healing can take a long time. A friend of mine had to say off the water for over a year :o !

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Maybe time to see a doctor. I've
I have a foot injury at the moment where the hydrofoil hit it. Its hurting with certain footstraps and shoes. But it's getting better so all good!

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:54 pm

new footstraps can be stiffer. Also, the design of footstraps and how they fit your feet can vary.

This could be why the tops of your feet hurt.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Could it be just strain?

Something similar happened to me quite a few years back: first day of a kite trip (after a couple of months of nothing), I went out while it was a bit too light with a board which was a bit too wide (like 47cm wide) in fairly choppy conditions. By the time wind picked up and I switched to my regular board - I was already feeling something odd in my right foot. Anyhow, I finished that first day without any real issues, just some obtuse pain right at the top of right foot. On the following day though - it became swollen and really painful, my foot felt like bones had difficulty meshing together, really dry feeling as if 2 rasps were working against each other. I was able to ride during last 2-3 days, but even after returning home it took about 3 weeks to completely heal.

Back then I blamed this quite wide light-wind board which was very staining on ankles and feet in really choppy conditions and which I unloaded with no regrets. Never had any re-occurrences since.

Return to “Kitesurfing”