Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to beat the Woo Record...

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to beat the Woo Record...

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:25 pm

Was just wondering, if you just dropped down off the crest of a wave would you get a negative woo? :cool2:

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:51 pm

Faxie wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:39 pm
Bartolo wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:19 pm
I always thought the wavehigh wasn't counted because the Woo starts counting heigth from the moment if 'feels' you are coming of the water. So wheter your kickerwave is 1m or 10m , doesn't matter for the woo heigth. Or am I wrong?
Have wondered this myself... if you boost of a 2m wave, and land on the lowest point...will that be 2m extra?
I would guess that it would try to compare integrated distances on the way up and down (It does not know anything about the wave, but it knows when you leave water and when reach apex and when you land). If the difference is too much it will invalidate the jump. If comparable it will average "up" and "down" distances...

Largorn
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Brunotti and Slingshot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Largorn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:45 pm

Bartolo wrote:
I always thought the wavehigh wasn't counted because the Woo starts counting heigth from the moment if 'feels' you are coming of the water. So wheter your kickerwave is 1m or 10m , doesn't matter for the woo heigth. Or am I wrong?
The whole day I was 100% sure that I read a reputable source say that the WOO height includes the wave. Now I finally had the idea to not only search in English but also in German and found it again :lol:

Post by Leo Koenig on the German forum oase.com: http://forum.oase.com/showpost.php?p=11 ... stcount=91
My translation of the post, as Google Translate it mostly useless for German => English:
Leo Koenig wrote: Thanks for the positive feedback!

Concerning the measurement, we start the measurement at the wave trough. We had long discussions about this but ultimately it makes sense, as you fly above the wave trough behind the wave. All high jumps by Aaron, Lewis, etc. (and also my highest) were in Capetown on days with really good waves.

What I learned since I know the hard facts – jumping off waves needs a completely different technique. As you convert much of the horizontal speed into vertical speed anyway, you have to send the kite way less and also later. I keep the kite at 10 almost until the end, only when I leave the wave I send the kite to 12. I guess that gives you 1-2m [3.3-6.5 ft] on a 10m [33 ft] jump. Getting the timing right is not easy, in approx. 2 out of 3 jumps I get something wrong, everything has to line up perfectly.

Keep having fun and don't keep back the feedback!

Cheers,
Leo

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:56 pm

Largorn wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:45 pm
Bartolo wrote:
The whole day I was 100% sure that I read a reputable source say that the WOO height includes the wave. Now I finally had the idea to not only search in English but also in German and found it again :lol:

Post by Leo Koenig on the German forum oase.com: http://forum.oase.com/showpost.php?p=11 ... stcount=91
My translation of the post, as Google Translate it mostly useless for German => English:
Leo Koenig wrote: Thanks for the positive feedback!

Concerning the measurement, we start the measurement at the wave trough. We had long discussions about this but ultimately it makes sense, as you fly above the wave trough behind the wave. All high jumps by Aaron, Lewis, etc. (and also my highest) were in Capetown on days with really good waves.

What I learned since I know the hard facts – jumping off waves needs a completely different technique. As you convert much of the horizontal speed into vertical speed anyway, you have to send the kite way less and also later. I keep the kite at 10 almost until the end, only when I leave the wave I send the kite to 12. I guess that gives you 1-2m [3.3-6.5 ft] on a 10m [33 ft] jump. Getting the timing right is not easy, in approx. 2 out of 3 jumps I get something wrong, everything has to line up perfectly.

Keep having fun and don't keep back the feedback!

Cheers,
Leo
Since this quote is nearly 3 years old and because his remarks feel counter to my experience I decided to ask Woo Support.
In the first mail, which I leave out here for clarity , he mentioned the difference between 1.0 and 2.0 and an updated algorithm for version 1.0. But I felt I didn't get an unambiguously answer.

So this is what I asked in the next email:
Thanks for your answer. It is however not really clearing things up for me. Obviously things are more complicated ;-)

But let me ask it differently. f I take off from the top of a 3m high wave and go up 5m into the air. Would the Woo show me a 5m jump or an 8m jump? Or maybe more than 8m when I will land behind the wave in the through?

I am interested in version 1.0 and 2.0 as well. By the way I have a 1.0, should that be updated with the newer algorithm you mention or don't you do updates to the woo itself?

This is their answer:
Hey Bart,

In short the 1.0 will not take the wave height into account whereas the 2.0 will, so in conditions with big kickers the 2.0 will usually read a bit higher, but it is unfortunately not quite that simple since we have made retroactive adjustments with the 1.0 to account for some of the wave height. So in the situation you described the 2.0 would probably show 8 meters and the 1.0 would show 6 or 7, though it is specific to each case and how you hit the wave.

The 2.0 has different internal hardware to support the new algorithm so we can't load new firmware on a 1.0 device unfortunately. The only option is to trade up for the difference in retail price if you are interested. All that being said the devices are designed to remain competitive and comparable, so the large discrepancies would only be in extreme cases where you were jumping very low but off very big waves (i.e. going 3 meters off a 5 meter wave).

Cheers,

So this may explain as to why the Woo 2.0 is giving higher jumps like reported several times on the internet. And yes Toby, like you suggested, Stru found a way to beat the Woo record, had he used a Woo 2.0!

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

IRe: How to beat the Woo Record...

Postby kiterocky » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Hope soon they release the 3.0 version and we will go much hiiighh..what a toy..)). :jump: :jump:
Nobody will buy used 1.0 or 2.0. :kiss: :kiss:

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:09 pm

In all seriousness for those who didn't get it this post should be taken at the 2nd degree.

Return to “Kitesurfing”