Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Have lei kites gotten any better in the last 6 years?

Forum for kitesurfers
plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Have lei kites gotten any better in the last 6 years?

Postby plummet » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:05 pm

Do-it wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:39 pm
I still ride 2011-2013 kites and have not demoed any kites that I thought out out performed mine. The only characteristics that have been improved are in the light wind department.
That's the boat I'm in now. My 2012 kites are getting real thin. The new stuff doesn't feel any better to me. Nor do I feel that my kites are holding me up compared to riders on new kites.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:02 am

Vegas- I use for wave riding.
Naish charger - this kite boosts and floats better than any kite ive flown.
Or razor - most powerfull kite ever.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:36 pm

Of course, "special" kites for light wind, hydrofoiling that is, are present the last 2-3 years only, and has not really existed before - so wrong to say they have gotten "better", as you got nothing to compare to :roll:

IMO, LEI kites for waveriding, 10 m2 and below, havent changed the last years - well, okay, according to the manufacturers they are WAY better of course ha haa, but they only tweak small things and colours, and use a lot of PR to get us to think they are much better, I mean this seriously :naughty:

Thats how the game has always been, and will continue - the difference is though, that earlier there could be huge differences in how good kites were made - not any more...

Differences in how they work and to what, yes, but that got nothing to do with "getting better" :nono:

The hydrofoiling scene has opened up a whole new era of LEI kites, and now lately also foil kites are aimed for non-racers, which is a plus for many non hydrofoilers too in light wind and even light wind waves :thumb:

I got many kites 1 m2 spaced, and with many years between (change when one is worn out), and also ride my friends kites now and then - and IMHO I can not see much or any change the last half decade of years :roll:
Which is good for us kitesurfers :rollgrin:

8) Peter

HellYeah
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras SC.
Favorite Beaches: South Padri Island, Aruba, Maui, Cape Town Africa
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Cabrinha
Slingshot
Naish
Brand Affiliation: Starbucks
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby HellYeah » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 pm

"This year we made the graphics smaller, which will give the kite 1 gram of weight reduction and an extra 1/100th of a knot power" "This year we also added pulleys, to give everyone lighter bar pressure. This way, you don't have to go to the gym before you go kiting" "We also use loop end pigtails, so now those with soft hands don't have to strain their fingers and tie a knot" "Our kite is now the ultimate lightweight machine, oh but I almost forgot, we added an extra large flow valve! Now you can pump air into the kite easier, (too bad it adds 3 grams of weight to the kite)"

"Buy our kite now, you can get it on sale for 2000 dollars"

"If you want a bar included it will be another 1000, but call within the next 15 minutes and we'll include it for just 999.99!"

Yeah kites just keep getting better and better

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Postby GraemeF » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:27 pm

plummet wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:05 pm
Do-it wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:39 pm
I still ride 2011-2013 kites and have not demoed any kites that I thought out out performed mine. The only characteristics that have been improved are in the light wind department.
That's the boat I'm in now. My 2012 kites are getting real thin. The new stuff doesn't feel any better to me. Nor do I feel that my kites are holding me up compared to riders on new kites.
I think for the most part we're all constrained by our points of reference, gone are the early days of lots of new ideas coming thick and fast, so we all tend to get blasé . TBH I wouldn't know what a recent Naish flies like I rarely ever see one never mind get chance to put it up against what I'm flogging, so my point of reference is only previous year stuff from the brand I'm currently working with, or 2014 stuff from the previous brand which at that time was about to have a bad year anyway. We don't get the multi brand demo events we used to get when the market was young and growing explosively, nor do we get new companies innovating riskily because the profit base isn't there.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:39 am

I think what is interesting in this question is the time period. Six years is right on the bubble. I think my answer to five years and my answer to seven years would be quite different. My reference is wave kites. My kites from 5 years ago are only slight improvements. My kites from seven or eight years ago are pretty substantial.

DJwilson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South coast UK
Favorite Beaches: Nappeague, USA
Paros, GREECE
Wissand, FRANCE
Alvor, PORTUGAL
Style: Freeride, waves
Gear: Ozone, Wainman, various boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby DJwilson » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:23 am

Good question....better materials, better inflation, better safety YES
More fun, purer flying machines, better all round packages = NO

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5

Postby Chicken-loop » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:06 am

In general performance has not got significantly better. However things like control systems, materials, kite stability and refinement have improved...

Return to “Kitesurfing”