Forum for kitesurfers
Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: best SUP for super light wind kiting

Postby Slappysan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:54 am

If I had the cash to burn on a 120L SUP with a foil track and a Naish Thrust Foil I would totally give it a go for foiling with my 12m kite.

reasons:
- I like the adventure of going places when foiling, often 5 km downwind then 10 km back upwind. Having a 120L SUP to knee paddle back on if the wind dies would be nicer than swimming to shore and walking.
- Where I live we aren't allowed to kite at the good beach in the summer but we can windsurf and sup. I would have to knee paddle out and then drift launch my kite but at least I could use the nice beach near my house.

The way I figure it is if windsurfing in 8 knots on a 120L SUP is fun then kitesurfing that same board would be more fun.
I'm not sure that either actually is fun though, and not willing to drop over $2k to find out.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:15 pm

edt wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:46 pm
:wink:
Very concise with your response, edt!

But now I feel bad that I may have dissuaded Ittiandro from giving kiting a go. Reality needs to be put out front, but, how ever you get into kiting and stick with it, Kiting is just the best. I still miss windsurfing, though I still have some gear at my local lake. But kiting is an experience that I am lucky to have continued with through the hard times.

I actually almost quit 2 times and went back to windsurfing. First, I purchased too big of a trainer kite and even though I did not wind up with an injury, it scared me almost bad enough to quit. Worse, was the time and money I put into trying to windsurf on the snow. Second, I got bored with TT's in my first year, but luckily purchased my own directional and found out Kitesurfing is what Windsurfing was always trying to be anyway.

Pretty long path - so stick with it! If you put the time into develop intermediate skills, you will love it. And Ittiandro has been given this advice before, but get lessons on a TT somewhere good for kiting to fuel the stoke. But I still say learn a small trainer on land first. Hope we have helped you into kiting, regardless of the dose of reality.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Kiting is the best sport in the world. We all know that!

But when you are at the launch you can tell instantly if someone is going to be a kiter.

"Hey where do they rent those thing. I want to try it for a few minutes to see if I like it." <--- will never be a kiter

"That is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Tell me everything." <--- will become a kiter

I don't think it matters too much what you say or do, someone who is destined to get into this sport will get into it and someone who isn't a good match for it will never get the stoke. All we can do is try to explain as much as we can what it really feels like, so they don't waste their time trying something they will never match up with or to urge them to get on it now, quit wasting time, your life awaits!

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:59 pm

edt wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:19 pm
I don't think it matters too much what you say or do, someone who is destined to get into this sport will get into it and someone who isn't a good match for it will never get the stoke.
Again you have nailed it right on the head! Everyone I meet and help out with kiting, well....you described the situation perfectly.......except except as it related to me.

I attribute my kiting today entirely to "luck of the draw" on many more occasions than the two I previously mentioned. I absolutely feel like I was on a knifes edge on kiting or not. Maybe this paradoxicality is just the difference between the view looking outward vs. looking inward.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:27 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:59 pm
edt wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:19 pm
I don't think it matters too much what you say or do, someone who is destined to get into this sport will get into it and someone who isn't a good match for it will never get the stoke.
Again you have nailed it right on the head! Everyone I meet and help out with kiting, well....you described the situation perfectly.......except except as it related to me.

Kiting is the Most Fun a person can have ; for the amount of risk involved. I don't
get quite as much adrenaline, when i go kite-boarding, as i get when i have a 2.5-hr
flight with my Hang glider ; but if i stay with the HG, i can expect to be dead, faster
than my survivability with a kite-board.

Both sports are Fun ; but i need to give up the glider, if i want to improve
my odds of living.

I would like to be like that elderly gentleman, who died a while back ; he had
a Great kite-session, then came back to the beach, and laid down and died
an age 87 or 89, or something !!!

Bille

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Bille wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:27 pm

I would like to be like that elderly gentleman, who died a while back ; he had
a Great kite-session, then came back to the beach, and laid down and died
an age 87 or 89, or something !!!

Bille
It don't get better than that. But I would be happy if I just had a few more years to go, though I would be still shy of half the time that guy had.

migel1976
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Moscow region
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites Airush Lithium 8, FlySurfer Soul 10, 15; Boards Flydoor 170x50, Shin Pinbot 141x44, Hydrofoil Mday 1050 cm

Postby migel1976 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:46 am

Slappysan wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:54 am
If I had the cash to burn on a 120L SUP with a foil track and a Naish Thrust Foil I would totally give it a go for foiling with my 12m kite.

reasons:
- I like the adventure of going places when foiling, often 5 km downwind then 10 km back upwind. Having a 120L SUP to knee paddle back on if the wind dies would be nicer than swimming to shore and walking.
- Where I live we aren't allowed to kite at the good beach in the summer but we can windsurf and sup. I would have to knee paddle out and then drift launch my kite but at least I could use the nice beach near my house.

The way I figure it is if windsurfing in 8 knots on a 120L SUP is fun then kitesurfing that same board would be more fun.
I'm not sure that either actually is fun though, and not willing to drop over $2k to find out.
Aloha!!! In this summer wanna try windsurf board on the kite, week ago bought used Elf Joker 5-15 in perfect condition, but here problem still no snow at all... So anyway, last summers i loved to trip on my windsurf board Starboard Rio M 195L with 7.8 North rig, even almost no wind weather, so think about this summer to try with kite, but still has some thoughts that it's not good as i'm imagine, maybe try to bought airush sector or surfboard with less litrage, by the way also bought used windsurf board Starboard Futura 144L also will try it.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:41 pm

migel1976 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:46 am
Slappysan wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:54 am

reasons:

Aloha!!! In this summer wanna try windsurf board on the kite, week ago bought used Elf Joker 5-15 in perfect condition, but here problem still no snow at all... So anyway, last summers i loved to trip on my windsurf board Starboard Rio M 195L with 7.8 North rig, even almost no wind weather, so think about this summer to try with kite, but still has some thoughts that it's not good as i'm imagine, maybe try to bought airush sector or surfboard with less litrage, by the way also bought used windsurf board Starboard Futura 144L also will try it.
The earliest race boards were essentially stubby windsurf boards, so it should work just not be easy to handle because they're much larger than they need to be for a kite.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:41 pm

The earliest race boards were essentially stubby windsurf boards, so it should work just not be easy to handle because they're much larger than they need to be for a kite.
Stubby kiteraceboards were extremely low volume boards compared to windsurfboards. The highest volume kiteraceboards (not foil) topped out at the range of the lowest volume windsurfboards. If you took that "Starboard Rio M 195L" and bandsawed it down to 50L, you would be able to edge upon the water start. But even with that much volume reduction, it is difficult to do a waterstart as you slide out (downwind) as soon as your body mostly clears the water. Most kiters can waterstart a TT or surfboard their first time in the water. But most experienced kiters have a difficult time ever waterstarting a higher volume board.

The "start" with a high volume SUP or windsurfboard over 70L usually involves crawling up onto the board with the kite flying, but not assisting getting up. Even if you do manage to have the kite "help" you get onto the board, you risk dragging your harness hook/safety QR across the board. Bottom line....Kite SUP is more difficult due to excess volume, than Kite TT or surfboard in which low volume is an asset and a pleasure.

migel1976
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Moscow region
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites Airush Lithium 8, FlySurfer Soul 10, 15; Boards Flydoor 170x50, Shin Pinbot 141x44, Hydrofoil Mday 1050 cm

Postby migel1976 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:41 pm
migel1976 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:46 am
Ok, just this board it's look like SUP 270x80cm, yes it's heavy weight about 14 kg, but it has daggerboard, better upwind, don't know need to try

Return to “Kitesurfing”