rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Are Switch kites getting any better?

Postby rynhardt » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:54 am

:thumb:

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:16 am

@Felix....noone, who knows you by ways of internet or other means, will doubt your riding skills.

Most of the doubts come when the V6 was introduced as an Element, and to my opinion the doubts are justified, also the expression of the doubts, within reason.

My opinon all the fuzz that is going on, could have been avoided when this new kite would have come out with another label, because every true Switch Element "connaisseur" and fan, can see this is not the Element anymore with the DNA of the "old " Elements.( shape, struts, bridle, pulleys) I cannot judge flying abilities ....

The "old" Elements had grown over the years towards the latest version( V5), by hints and questions and wishes of riders and Switch fans, so in the end, it was a kite that had short bridles and no pulleys.

You( Switch ) could have guessed how the response would be from the loyal Element riders , where I think a lot of them were "wave" riders ( ofcourse TT's too), does not matter overhead waves, or like you guys like to call it pussy waves. They had the kite that was nearly tailord to their wishes, and they loved it!

I can imagine you wanted to introduce a kite that was more accepted as allround, why not have called it Switch allround, I assume the general acceptance would have run more smoothly with a bigger public!

I assume nobody doubts the good flying abilities of the new kite, they only doubt that it is not the Element that they got after a some upgrades and is completely different in looks and features.

Wishing you good luck with the new kite,
for me personal, I switched from being a long time Switch adept / defender, to another brand, as for my program there is no type of kite anymore at Switch.( my personal meaning), I do not like long bridles and pulleys, no matter what, secondly got a simililar kite like the Element V4/5 at very good coditions, so easy choice)
good luck
Last edited by naishdude on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwarf
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby dwarf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:16 pm

Wow all this whining because of a name on a kite. Test it, if you do not like it, move on.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:13 pm

dwarf wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:16 pm
Wow all this whining because of a name on a kite. Test it, if you do not like it, move on.
It really is amazing, but I'm sure Switch is thrilled with all the attention. Looks like a great kite to me and all the negative things I have heard about pulleys over the years is now negated.
Never fear the pulley again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

felixp
Frequent Poster
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Switch, Firewire
Been thanked: 0

Postby felixp » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:32 pm

The Whining about a name change and pulleys on a bridal.
Its awesome to see whats important to some.

I personally go for performance then price. Each to their own.

Test it- If works for you - Your stoked. If not move on.

Looks like the Boys in Hawaii are into it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 5.36.06 PM 2.jpg

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:52 pm

No qualms about pulleys here. The fastest, most responsive kites I've flown have them. The last mushy pulleyed kite I flew was an ancient Turbo Diesel with the pulleys on the bar ends, that was in like 2005 I think. I currently have a quiver of pulleyless bridle kites right now and I find their power delivery to be inconsistent and jerky, especially when at the top end of their power range Provided the pulleys with the most load have easily replaceable bridle sections where they run I don't see this as an issue at all. I've never had a pulley fail, but I have had to swim because a bridle broke from pulley wear.

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5

Postby Chicken-loop » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:53 am

Jeebus... Everyone wants to complain about pulleys on a kite.

First World problems......

I reckon it looks good and if I needed a new kite I would happily buy one along with the new bar, as it is the first kite from Switch I have wanted...

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:17 am

I have a 12 & 9 coming any day. I bought into the anti-pulley rhetoric years ago when SS Ralleys came out. I've since owned BRM, Ozone, and Switch kites - all without pulleys. I'll be testing on snow but will have a great opportunity to run towards the kite on descents and check the drift. Of course in snow its all about boosts & hang time so I'll be curious to see if the kite lives up to its hype. 30 day money back deal if I'm not stoked on it so - why not? I'll write a fair review as soon as I get a chance to try them out.

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15m Ghost V2, 12m SS RPX, 10/8/7/6/5/4 V6 SST, 8m SS UFO V2, 6m Ghost V2, 4&5 Contra 1S, SS Phantasm 684/633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'0 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 3.5 Cab X3, 4.4 Vayu, 6.0 Slingwing V4
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Peeps have been asking for bridle photos of the Element 7 on the Switch Forum, without any luck. Anyone think the bridle will wrap the wingtip? Since the E7 appears to be the Ikon Peak3, I'm thinking [pure speculation] it might...

https://ikon-kiteboarding.com/wp-conten ... E-SPEC.pdf

https://ikon-kiteboarding.com/product/peak-3/

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:28 pm

have a look here...cut from Switch you tube

Return to “Kitesurfing”