Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fiji - Tavarua

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: Fiji - Tavarua

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:56 am

juandesooka wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:30 pm
It does not appear that Fiji Air has an exemption for golf clubs, as many airlines do. So it might be less likely that the kite/golf bag gets through (no experience with them, just my guess)
https://www.fijiairways.com/flight-info ... d-baggage/

My lesson learned lately: I got charged the same board fee for a 10lb 6’ surfboard bag as the guy after me with a triple longboard coffin 50lbs. So if you’re going to get dinged the fee, make sure you max out the bag! Only thing is, be careful that you’re within their specified maximums for weight and lineal dimensions, as the excess baggage fees look steep. There’s also always the risk that they refuse to take it aboard if outside the regs … years ago had this happen on the way to Samoa, refused to allow our surfboard bags, which is a problem for the 1 month surf trip! (eventually convinced them, at full charge for us, half charge for 1 friend, free for the other….gotta love random discretionary fees ;-)
Yeah the golf bag exception works with Delta and American - I've used it probably 30 times. When I saw that with Fiji I figured it would be a no go.

Part of the vacation package was a "surf pack" which allows up to 3 boards in a bag. So, I'm just going to go that route, my main worry is causing damage to my SUP on the trip over, but I'm going to bubble wrap the sh*t out of it, and put pool noodles around the edges. Just hope it survives the trips.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:09 am

This is why I hate dealing with airlines. Whenever I can i ride with an airline where I have enough miles / status to get away with shit.
...or just fly Alaska They are awesome. I get that's not an option to fiji tho.

The one airline I really hate is Hawaiian. Hooooorrrible service.
Last edited by tautologies on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:50 pm

tautologies wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:09 am
This is why I hate dealing with airlines. Whenever I can i ride with an airline where I have enough miles / status to get away with shit.
...or just fly Alaska They are awesome. I get that's not an option to fiji tho.

The one airline I reslly hate is Hawaiian. Hooooorrrible service.
Yeah, I'm pretty high status wise with Delta, but it's still $150 each way domestic or international.

Return to “Kitesurfing”