Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Hydrofoil board leash

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:05 am

edt wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:39 pm
you should always sit on your hydrofoil in ultra light wind during a relaunch. it is the only way to push back against the kite enough to get it into the air if the wind is ultralight. If the board is downwind of you after a crash swim after it and then sit on it.
In spots where the water is chest deep, that wouldn't work so well, would it?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:37 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:05 am
edt wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:39 pm
you should always sit on your hydrofoil in ultra light wind during a relaunch. it is the only way to push back against the kite enough to get it into the air if the wind is ultralight. If the board is downwind of you after a crash swim after it and then sit on it.
In spots where the water is chest deep, that wouldn't work so well, would it?
nah you can still do it. lean back a little bit so the hydrofoil is at a little bit of a angle that's all. if your hydrofoil sinks tho I dunno what to say. I'm gonna be making a wood board with very little flotation this year for my foil so I guess I'll see what that's about.

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Flag53 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:24 am

Hi Peter Frank , I’m sorry but I must disagree with you on this one .
At my local spot we have a tidal lagoon that completely empties out on low tide and many a board has been swept “ Upwind “ when caught in the rip.
In the last year , at least four twin tips where lost and my friend almost lost her foil board through not wearing a leash and it moving against the wind after she had wiped out .

I’m not saying wear one all the time , but there are definitely places or conditions where it helps

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:09 am

TomW wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:47 pm
I see some foil boards have a leash plug on the nose of the board.
What us the purpose of this leash? I can't imagine having a leash from the nose to my leg.
That would be like putting a collar and leash on a great white shark and " going for a swim ".
Is it leash plug or GoPro mount plug? Mine had GoPro plug

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:21 am

borist wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:09 am
TomW wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:47 pm
I see some foil boards have a leash plug on the nose of the board.
What us the purpose of this leash? I can't imagine having a leash from the nose to my leg.
That would be like putting a collar and leash on a great white shark and " going for a swim ".
Is it leash plug or GoPro mount plug? Mine had GoPro plug

Yep, I think it is GoPro "microleash" or attachment plugs, and definitely not rider leash plugs at the nose.

8) PF

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:41 am

Flag53 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:24 am
Hi Peter Frank , I’m sorry but I must disagree with you on this one .
At my local spot we have a tidal lagoon that completely empties out on low tide and many a board has been swept “ Upwind “ when caught in the rip.
In the last year , at least four twin tips where lost and my friend almost lost her foil board through not wearing a leash and it moving against the wind after she had wiped out .

I’m not saying wear one all the time , but there are definitely places or conditions where it helps

Aaah, okay, sorry my mistake, I should have written "body dragging" or "when kite in the air" (changed my post now) :roll:

As if you get the kite in the water, often not possible to launch if lighter winds, then the boards will dissapear "out" with the tide at your spot, true, and a leash could be the solution :D

But if the kite is in the air and they dont retrieve the boards, it still means they havent learned to body drag well, if its the whole lagoon that rushes out with the tide....
OR, they pull themeselves to shore or low water, waiting for the board to come in (which it wont) :wink:

Of course there can be special spots where there is a very narrow upwind current between downwind currents, so no space to body drag in the same current, true.
But generally one see so many riders not being sufficiently good at body dragging, and always blames the current instead.

Even many really experienced riders can be lousy at body dragging, and they point high upwind with their arm and body, which WONT work :(

With your heavy outgoing currents, the boards can get dragged out if you crash your kite, risky and I see the use of a leash.
The positive thing though, is that WHEN the current changes from going IN the lagoon, to going out, you get more wind, and easier to relaunch the kite now, if you have been out while current changes direction :naughty:

8) PF

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:17 am

In the situation where you've splashed down, or dropped the kite and the board is close to hand... Might take five seconds to relaunch the kite, but it's often hard to keep the board out of the way. Even without a current, foils drift downwind quite rapidly.

It's not about body dragging, it's about keeping the foil away from your lines long enough to safely launch.

I've often wondered if a leash would be helpful -- especially in "shallow" water and light winds.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:15 am

Ok, it must be a go-pro mount.

I've seen it on 3-4 boards. Leash to nose sounded really crazy, but wanted to know.
I'm building boards for myself and don't put on leash plugs at all.
I did wonder if there are situations where you might want a short leash to attach foil to yourself while in the water during dragging or rescue.

I've looked at the videos for lighting self rescue done by Houston kiteboarding. Those are really good. Sitting on the board can't be hard.
This summer I'm going to try it on purpose in light conditions and right place in case I screw it up.

Snow on the ground now, but looking forward to water sessions in a few weeks! Here's a shot of my latest board, 135 * 47 * 30-40mm thick.
_20180220_183043.JPG

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Its easier to sit on a board that sinks because the balance is better. It might just give enough float to get your head and arms out of the water.

If the water is too shallow it may be easier to stand, hold the board with one hand and relaunch the other.

The purpose is to control the board and have some downwind resistance to tense kite lines.

I don't know why, but for me crossing my legs at the ankle just in from of the foil mast seems to help.

Nice looking board TomW

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:20 pm

Topaz wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:45 am
I can't seat on my board. It sinks.

I carry a long leash wrapped around the harness.
If the kite falls in light wind, first thing I do is hook this leash to the board and think only about relaunching the kite.
I wouldn't do it in mid winds for fear of the board following me if the kite relaunches with power.
I use a reel leash for this purpose....nice that it retracts and has a quick release clip for looping through a foot strap. We also use them to occasionally drag a self rescued buddy closer to shore to shorten a swim.

Return to “Hydrofoil”