Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hyperlink size recommedation

Postby TomW » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:11 am

Hudstur,

Again, I'm not experienced, but after all this discussion....I can give you my uninformed 2cents

Famousfrank has quiver of 5-7-9 Hyperlink, then he jumps to a 15 or 17m R1V2.
I think his comment is back in early part of the thread.
He's using short lines aggressively on the big kite...Hf only. He's 78kg I think.

For me, my guess is I'm looking at a 9 Hyperlink and then a Chronos 13 as my biggest at 75kg dry, heading towards 72kg..( on diet). Smaller foil is questionable. Have to wait and see.

I've ridden a surfboard a lot last 8 years. I'd not want to use a slow kite on one. So I'm keeping my North Monos as surfboard kite. The HL 12 surely is slow for a surfboard. And the Chrono will be more boosty on the TT?
My guess is both will be poor surfboard kites, but Chrono better than HL on the TT. Especially since you are experienced Chrono flyer!

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:14 pm

Hudster:

An important question often missing from these questions is "what do you want:"

Foiling 360s, best angle to the mark or high jumps?
Over or under powered?
Smaller or bigger kite?
Faster turning, or more lift?
More stability or more efficient?

Right now HL 9 is my biggest kite and I'm touring around on a Levitaz Cruizer. I like to ride the smallest kite possible but I am considering that I should learn to ride with a bit more power if I hope to ever make a foiling jibe or tack.

I have always been suspicious about purchasing the largest size in a kite's range. That is the size where the designer decided any bigger and it would fly like a turkey. Based on my experience with HL9 I would consider the 12 especially if ultralight. I'm also interested in the Chrono3 vs Hyperlink comparison.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:42 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:57 pm
Today I picked up the kite and it was good 9m day on the Hf. I was itching the get out so I pumped my 9m Mono and went out for an hour.
Only had limited time today, after I came in a gave the kids some hotdogs, I wanted you try it on the beach.
I rigged the bar with 20 m lines.( it came un rigged as I ordered 20+5m lines).
My kite buddy has flown foil kites for years and he came down to help me. He's a flysurfer fan.
It was sketchy getting it up, but once in the air and filled it flew flawlessly. 20m lines felt right.
Later I discovered I'd rigged the rear lines on wrong knot, it was supposed to be on the middle knot, I had it on the last, so it was depowered.

I've flown lei kites for 16 years. What I noticed right away is the lack of static pull when kite not moving. Sheet in and out, no pull. As soon as I worked the kite it got lots of power.
Bar pressure is lower than my monos and core XR kites.

It's about as fast turning as my Mono 12, hard to tell.

Wind was 14 knots. I tried pulling front lines and running towards the kite at zenith. No way it's going to collapse. Drifts faster than i can run.
Same when kite is at 3 or 10.
Mono would have more problems.

So I'm looking forward to a water test.,

Hi TomW - I set my 12m HL (Standard fabric) to the "standard setting" to begin with as a starting point as this was my first test flight. Very light winds (5mph) kite launched very easily and sat over my head not moving an inch. Landed the kite and changed setting to the -5cm mark. Noticeable increase in power but still not enough wind to kitesurf. I flew the 12m HL for a good hour of so on the beach,rock solid performance and was able to skid down the beach when flying the HL through the power zone. Landed the kite with the view to pack up, then the wind picked and was 15mph when measured on the beach afterwards. Super session with the HL :-)
Last edited by mgs on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:50 pm

TomW:

Try the shortest knot on an Ozone bar. That should give you a trace of backstall with the bar on the chicken loop. The option for a propeller turn is quite nice, as is the option to pull the kite back into the window if you hydrofoil down wind of the kite. If you decide you don't like its easy enough to access the depower with the trimmer.

One thing about foil kites is they turn, make power and depower differently. Hyperlink is closer to a tube kite than others in how it behaves but is still a foil kite and maintains the weight balance, light weight, and efficiency that I love in foil kites.

As you discovered there is almost no static pull, what I would call "grunt" or sheet-and-go pull. All of the power comes from moving the kite and there is more power per size when the kite is moving.

The depower is also less immediate because pushing away makes the kite fly faster and farther to the edge of the window. Just a little bit of edging while sheeting-out will get the kite to the edge of the window where the depower occurs. There will be a pull as the kite flies across the window even if you drop the bar because the kite does not luff like a tube kite.

Turning is fast but also less immediate especially if the lines aren't tense. There are more bridles and cloth that needs tension to make a turn. When you have the kite depowered at the edge of the window, sheet in and initiate a turn it will react slowly as tension fills the whole kite. If you have the kite powered up for example riding with power in the kite or in a jump you might be pleasantly surprised with the Hyperlinks turn.

Turning when depowered is a metric often forgotten. The tube kites tend to lose all rear line tension as you push the bar away and then have lost all steering ability. The foil kite will maintain enough control that you can turn it to zenith without sheeting the bar in so much. The turn is obviously very slow with the bar out. Flysurfer is better than Ozone in these characteristics but both beat tube kites in turning while depowered.

Finally, recovery from a stall is slower than a tube kite. Front stall is obvious because the foil kite has to take its shape compared to a luffing tube kite. My understanding is that backstall is less visible but it takes more time for the laminar flow to adhere to the shape of a foil kite compared to the smooth an thin trailing edge of a single skin kite. I think I got from a comparison of Revolution stunt kites to 4 line parafoils.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks Jakemoore! Understand.

Self launch seems straight forward once I practice a bit. Self landing seems sketchy.
Any tips?

hudstur
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: OCEAN RODEO Duke 5’4”, OR Flites, FOne kites, SS Mixer 5’10”, Litewavedesigns Kick S.
Been thanked: 0

Postby hudstur » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Thx jakemoore
Need that comparison Chrono V3 15m UL. v.s. Hyperlight 12m UL

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:49 pm

TomW wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:55 pm
Self launch seems straight forward once I practice a bit. Self landing seems sketchy.
Any tips?
Commit! If you get way overpowered and you are in trouble, self land in the water while riding downwind. The water will help stick the kite down and riding downwind reduces apparent winds. Best to practice in light winds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeUUsokZR00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssU5RkUHzUc

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:42 am

You should checkout the new Flysurfer Soul. Cheaper (in my market at least) and some might say a more refined competitor to the Hyperlink.

Smoother top skin and profile
Adjustable mixer
Self draining dirt-out channels
LCLs for easier repair

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:06 am

Jzh_perth wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:42 am
You should checkout the new Flysurfer Soul. Cheaper (in my market at least) and some might say a more refined competitor to the Hyperlink.

Smoother top skin and profile
Adjustable mixer
Self draining dirt-out channels
LCLs for easier repair
I second that. Flysurfer Soul is far superior. Jumps massive, turns faster and relaunches better. Even the Kitech FRS is much better than the Hyperlink and costs more than half. I highly recommend both. The Kitech FRS is the fastest foil kite on the market. Wont fill with water either. Triple stitched.
Ive flow all three and have no brand affiliation.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed May 02, 2018 10:08 pm

Got out today on the hyperlink 9UL. 76kg dry, on moses 590 wing. 25m lines on standard 50cm Ozone bar.
Wind was light, at first no white caps, windfinder say it's 6ms solid. Another site with observations saying it was 5,2ms. That's 10-11,5 knots. That would be my guess looking at it.

After 30-40 min started getting some increase to see white caps, probably 12knots.
My friend is same weight and foil skill on Lift 150 ( I think). He's getting going on his RPM 12m.
But he drops it in a lull and has to swim 10 min to get it up.

This is my first foil, takes some getting adjustment to it, it reacts slower, sheeting is a bit different. I still think I should shorten rear lines to shortest knot, but kites not "set" yet.
I'm amazed I can get up at all, there's almost no pull in kite static.
But dive it aggressively, sine it once, twice, and I'm flying. Builds speed fast, and man it's smooth and seamless power delivery. I can sheet out all the way and no flutter.

I do some kite up turn gybes, and it's so smooth power through the gybe, keeps tension in lines better and less jerky on/off than the lei. It's still really light wind.
Do some down kite loop toe to heelside carve, whoo hoo, it's super smooth power, much easier than the lei ( Mono) which has power spike and hard pull on trip through the power window. I just learned these last 2 sessions on the lei.

Towards the end the wind picks up a little, 12-13 knots and there's a lot of top end left. This kind of wind I'd be jerking around a little on my Mono 12, luffing and fluttering kite.
I can really crank some turns as kite drives upward from the bottom of the window and gives smooth turn exit power.: keep kite really low, drive up wind, turn kite up, follow with Hf turn and kite turns up 90 over degrees, pointing up and flys upward despite lite line tension, coming around smoothly with even power out of the kite and HF turn.

It's like automatic transmission.

I went in and took out the Mono 12 that was already pumped and rigged. I do think wind had picked up to 12-13 knots, and Mono was at its upper end, had to luff it a lots, and felt like a 4 speed stick shift with a broken clutch compared to a 7 speed dsg automatic of the Hyperlink.
Yes I could have had a good session on the Mono 12, but it's less controlled and refined.

It's only been one session, and I suspect the absolute low end power is less than the Mono 12, but with some skill and perhaps even longer lines, it might beat the 12 Mono in getting going on Hf due to power created with apparent speed and how light wind it will fly in.

I'm really pleased, and looking forward to getting out in 14-16 knots, because I suspect it will work great even on those winds, perhaps on 20 m lines, making my 9m Mono stay on the beach.

I'm still struggling with the launch. I think pre inflation is imperative.

Return to “Foil Kites”