A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Dealing with Foil Caught in Bar

Postby NYKiter » Tue May 01, 2018 12:15 pm

Happens, could be easily deadly.

Been here a few times now and lucky after acting fast to remove it.

Interested in hearing folks ways of dealing with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1W6kED4sE

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Dealing with Foil Caught in Bar

Postby ELI » Tue May 01, 2018 12:48 pm

Don't be defensive or argue with the bartender and the bouncers .Leave quietly.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Tue May 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Happened to me twice early on and quickly became the most scary dreaded event foiling. I use a low volume board, too. However, hasn’t happened again and I feel pretty safe from it. Now, when I crash, I somehow always end up with the board safely under the water where it can’t jump up and bite. I guess I learned to keep driving the board with my front foot even as I’m falling off so that it pearls under on purpose.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue May 01, 2018 1:28 pm

Good point NYKiter,

even if in other context discussed a few times seen here, maybe someone finds the topics. Foil in lines is one of the points which makes me thinking foiling should stay an "experienced only" kite sport, even if the new foils are getting easier and easier to ride, otherwise I fear we will see somebody drown in the next time fixed to its foil by kite lines.

Most important reaction for me is:
1. Try to understand situation in the first secound as far as possible and emediately act in the secound
2. Action most time will be kill kite power, but not by quickrelease which most time won't work, but most time by pulling in one or both stearing lines to cut the flow from kite profile.

Also had foil maybe 6 times in the lines and last one a few days ago. Don't remember, but could have been a to high backflip where the foil ended in between the pretty low Y of front lines. As in this case first check showend kite still in normal flight at 12 and bar free, I decided and was able to pull the foilwing out of lines during flight. But happily it was just a monofoil.

But found a slight damage in the lines at this point, so will have to shorten and everybody should check well after crashes. Also a smove foil trailing edge is also important for that, if you have unthreated dings in your trailing edge they can act like a serrated knife at your lines and your body! :o

AGK
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby AGK » Tue May 01, 2018 2:06 pm

Following on Horst's point, someone had a line break under load a few minutes after having it caught in the foil at our spot this week. Fortunately no major damage or injury this time. If you get your lines caught, make sure you check them for abrasion!

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue May 01, 2018 3:08 pm

The first time it happened to me I ejected the chicken loop and the foil cut the safety line, releasing the whole ensemble to blow down wind. I think the kite was probably looping and I had to let go before a bind? The carbon trailing edge of the mast was not a serrated knife but razor sharp on its whole length.

I suppose the other issue is awareness about this possibility of cutting lines in the foil and losing kite and foil is to avoiding conditions to endanger others by not sailing upwind of crowds.

I think ELI has the right idea.
Last edited by jakemoore on Tue May 01, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue May 01, 2018 3:17 pm

One of several reason I have lost my desire to foil....

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:20 pm

This has happened to me multiple times. The best answer is to not let it happen. When you fall be sure to keep the bar high overhead so as to not allow the foil to slide thru the lines.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue May 01, 2018 5:54 pm

Its happened to me now about 5 times and I have now learned how to avoid it, but you do need lots of hours under your belt to build the skills needed to make those last second avoidance moves that are quite impossible when your low on experience, now when I can see I am approaching a situation where it might happen then I now take early action to avoid the problem,
and calling it a problem is like calling a head on car crash a minor inconvenience, it's ruddy scary and hard to get out of.
One thing that helps with experience is the ability to use very small kites typically half the size of the Ttip guys, and my 6 mtr kite is now my go to kite for most conditions over 13knts, as long as I can get up with a few loops the 6 will be fantastic.and of course if I find myself about to run through my lines then a little kite is so fast you can whip it through the air to pull over to the side, where a big lazy kite will need an Email before it starts to move. and the pull from a small kite is way less, and as previous poster above, you are more able to pull one steering line in to prevent a looping kite.
It is a concern of mine that all new foilers will go through this horrible experience, and if this was my wife, I know she would be properly freaked out by such an experience, it makes me wonder how some newbies might deal with this, some not as well as others.
I now always carry a proper marine knife up near my shoulder, as this is where I feel it is needed, as on my previous bar and body wraps around the mast and wings my upper torso was more or less unwrapped, but lower body was jammed tight against the nasty bits, so a harness knife would have not been an option, try and find yours next time your wrapped.
And just like the experience of being wrapped up in your gear you don't know, what you don't know.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Tue May 01, 2018 6:26 pm

It happened a few times when I first started to foil but not in the last two years. Overall experience I believe.

Return to “Hydrofoil”