Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:23 am

As of today, the United States will cease all implementation of the non-binding Paris Accord and the draconian financial and economic burdens the agreement imposes on our country. This includes ending the implementation of the nationally determined contribution and, very importantly, the Green Climate Fund which is costing the United States a vast fortune.
President Trump

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-st ... te-accord/

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:54 am

Simple, what passes for news these days is actually sponsored content. On both sides. So real information is very scarce.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JustAGirl » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:36 am

knotwindy wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:54 am
Simple, what passes for news these days is actually sponsored content. On both sides. So real information is very scarce.
Not quite! The Paris accord was a globalist sham. Trump understands the need to protect the environment from rampant global industrialization. The third world, including China & India, should never have been industrialized because they are not culturally advanced enough to deal with it. But the Soviet Union started all this. Russia & the US were used by globalists as power foci designed to benefit a few families who own the world! Now they created mass migration! It causes more pollution & is a human catastrophe for both migrants & hosts! The planet is in a dire state because of the greed of the global banking system, which needs a permanent civil war in every region to thrive. That’s why they feed us liberalism, to justify their wars. They create wars! We are dealing with very serious problems & they are a threat to the oceans. Trump is incredibly intelligent & understands all this. Marl is more of a reactionary. The Paris accord was sand in the eyes designed by the very ppl who pollute the most! It had to be ended! We have no solutions & we are in serious trouble! That’s in a nutshell... but it’s not that simple. Just keep your head on and try to think things thru. Indeed Knotwindy, no info out there is the complete truth,.. you are responsible to think things thru & we, the sea tribe, have a vested interest in keeping our oceans clean. In the end only the Bible teaches you love & respect for all creatures & develops superior non-materialist intelligence ... I “bank” on it!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:26 am

JustAGirl wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:36 am
knotwindy wrote:
Not quite! The Paris accord was a globalist sham. Trump understands the need to protect the environment from rampant global industrialization. The third world, including China & India, should never have been industrialized because they are not culturally advanced enough to deal with it. But the Soviet Union started all this. Russia & the US were used by globalists as power foci designed to benefit a few families who own the world! Now they created mass migration! It causes more pollution & is a human catastrophe for both migrants & hosts! The planet is in a dire state because of the greed of the global banking system, which needs a permanent civil war in every region to thrive. That’s why they feed us liberalism, to justify their wars. They create wars! We are dealing with very serious problems & they are a threat to the oceans. Trump is incredibly intelligent & understands all this. Marl is more of a reactionary. The Paris accord was sand in the eyes designed by the very ppl who pollute the most! It had to be ended! We have no solutions & we are in serious trouble! That’s in a nutshell... but it’s not that simple. Just keep your head on and try to think things thru. Indeed Knotwindy, no info out there is the complete truth,.. you are responsible to think things thru & we, the sea tribe, have a vested interest in keeping our oceans clean. In the end only the Bible teaches you love & respect for all creatures & develops superior non-materialist intelligence ... I “bank” on it!
As someone else said (slightly modified):
The three (great) monotheistic religions all stem from a bunch of semi literate pre-medieval middle eastern tribal people and all have the same founding fathers, Abraham etc. They are all steeped in petty local hatreds, violence, slavery, misogyny, a simple justice system and rules that say you must believe and have faith that their individual gods will see you through***.

Well it's a few thousand years on from when it all started and guess what, the individual gods have done nothing. But the now semi literate tribal people have spread far and wide and still spout their local hatreds and violence. Most still go with the misogyny bit, some still go with the slavery bit, with some the justice is a little bit more complicated and there are more rules. But you and all the rest are still following and supporting a system thought up by these necessarily ignorant people.
*** and you should add in here "with your superior non-materialist intelligence".

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:41 am

JustAGirl wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:36 am
knotwindy wrote:
Surely you're kidding right ? "The third world including China and India should never have been industrialized because they are not culturally advanced enough to deal with it" ? Do you think the first world was when we did ? Do you think "we" should have maybe stopped them ? What does Trump with all his understanding and intelligence do about protecting the environment ? You feel he's drained the swamp ? If the Paris accord was a globalist sham (and I'm not denying that it was), what do you propose to do then, apart from shaking your head and banking on what the bible teaches us (because that obviously isn't working) ?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:59 am

I think it is a good idea to stop this topic...no?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:24 pm

It would be cool if a thread could go to flamers but people who posted in the thread would not know it.

The trolls wouldn’t lose interest if it stayed at the top of their feed and the rest could talk kites.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:03 pm

I did buy 2 carbon boards! I'm very happy,cf rpt pro is the best board ever built and I feel in harmony with nature as I ride them :thumb: So give me some credit

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:59 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:59 am
I think it is a good idea to stop this topic...no?
Definitely going OT a bit and better for another forum. But I would like to see if it can get back to the core issue a bit. It does appear that the OP's question was answered to some degree with "carbon offsets" not considered a good way to effectively reduce one's guilt about enjoying life. And honestly to me, it seems that most who are riding the derailed train into the ditch are not necessarily resorting to anything I would consider distasteful. And plenty of opportunities for that have presented themselves. But M&M is definitely getting close, though it is tough to poke holes in most of his arguments.

Back on topic a bit - If someone would like to pay me to stay home and kite locally this summer, I could guarantee that my sacrificed travel would not impact the environment, and someone could go pollute for me.

And just to head others off at the pass, I do not mind when things go OT from the OP's question. But it is kind of "cringy" when we get so far out side of the realm of kiteboarding that we are no longer even discussing something that is related to something that is related to kiteboarding. But "cringy" does not necessarily indicate a need to shut down the conversation.

The greatest thing about this forum is the exposure to other views so diverse that your own world view is challenged. That is the product of freedom of speech. Erring on the side or freedom, at least to me, is the best policy. And thanks to Toby for believing in freedom enough to get us at least to this point.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:34 pm

This is pure virtue signaling exercise by highly narcissistic minds.

A) This is a manufactured problem.
B) If you still believe this a a problem, there no solution.
C) If there was a solution to this problem, China would have to start implementing it now.

Meantime on the economic front, your politicians signed you up for Globalization, even though not every economist agreed. So OK the game is on. We are asked to compete, right. First input, wages, our's are higher and there is nothing we can do. Second, cost of energy - you see where the problem is? Third, corporate tax. There is something we can do. Lower it, see what happens, and if we don't get enough coming back from the stimulus, we shift it to sales tax. Hard politically, but smart. You want to play Globalization game? Tax consumption and not production. On domestic made products it will wash as they get cheaper and bingo, imports will cost more and are taxed for the first time. China can't answer, because their consumers are still relatively poor and don't buy higher end products. It's even good for the environment as you will think twice before buying another useless piece of crap, if there is additional sales tax on it. Game - set - match. I didn't ask for Globalization, but now, that I'am in a fox hole, let's play the Goddamn game and win it.
If you still want to be a virtue signaling clueless poser, get a safe space because it is going to get even rougher.

Return to “Kitesurfing”