Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Corrosion on Aluminium parts (Moses fuselage)

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Corrosion on Aluminium parts (Moses fuselage)

Postby Onda » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi all,
after having ridden my Moses foil in North Sea water for less than 3 hours during its first use I´ve been irritated to see clear signs of corrosion on the fuselage.
The shiny black (anodized) surface was covered with numerous elevated white spots of Al2O3 (alumina). These corrosion spots were centered around the screw holes for the mast and two areas where the wings are mounted.
I´ve put Li-grease on all screws before first water contact and have never left any parts assembled in wet condition (how could I - before first use).

The lapidary response from Moses (having received detailed pictures of the fuselage via my dealer) is: Send it in for analysis (2-3 weeks) or simply keep it and wipe it clean.

I´m kind of an expert for metal surface coatings... This is a clear quality issue from defective anodization. And any expert would be able to see it from my pictures. No need for "analysis"... if you´d like to call yourself a customer centric company. Needless to mention that this cannot be "wiped clean"! I´d have to sand it away, further thinning that anodized surface and worsening the issue.

What do you think?

Last edited by Onda on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Re: Corrosion on Aluminium parts (Moses fuselage)

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Is the fuselage connected to Carbon parts?
3 hrs seems very quick.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:57 pm

Sounds like OP would be just the expert to pick the right coating to apply as a barrier, find an anodizing shop, fit an anode, or whatever....
But Moses should make sure their anodizing is thorough, hard, and follow zeeko example by following it with PAINT also!

rolfjoosten
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Christ Church
Favorite Beaches: Silver Rock Barbados - home
Style: Fun
Gear: Strapless Wave, Hydrofoil

Postby rolfjoosten » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:35 am

I am using a Moses Fluente model 2016 since August 2016 in Barbados / Caribbean. We have super high humidity and high temperatures.
My foil is not always washed with fresh water after foiling and I get an average of 2 - 3 days per week on the foil.
After almost 2 years of usage I can now start to see some slight signs of corrosion where the fuselage connects to the mast but no reason of concern. All screws are still working perfectly fine and there are no complaints whatsoever about the quality of the foil. Generally I take my foil apart every 1 to 1.5 months and re grease all screws and connections where aluminium and carbon meets...
The Moses Foil is still going strong and I am super happy with my choice in all aspects. I can still ride the most up to date wings and don't feel in any way that I have outgrown my setup.
I am now thinking of buying the new 633 setup which I can still use with my original mast. Which other company can say that?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:39 am

interesting, I did wonder what those little white spots were,
I have 2 fuses for the Onda wave set up with one fuse being only 1 weeks old,the other 3 months old.

The brand new one came with the new 91cm mast set up, and this new fuse showed a rash of spots from the very first outing just behind the front wing extending down to near the mast recess, mostly on the flat underside surface, but when i removed the front wing after its first week of use to clean and lube all the screw holes, I noticed the tiny white spots extending forward to round the edges of the front wing, I used a little Tcut rubbing compound and the surface returned to black, this made me inspect my older Onda fuse and there was a little rash of white spots in the same place, but much less and these rubbed away with a little rub or two,
My brand new standard fuse only 2 weeks old has shown no signs of this white spot rash.
Now I know its corrosion I will take a few close up photos to send off to moses and post on here after this weekends use.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Another question comes to mind: are the wings, including the screw holes, fully sealed? This sounds like there is exposed carbon involved, not just steel versus aluminum, to see damage in hours.
Maybe the attachment areas need a barrier coat of epoxy, especially in the holes?
Just a thought, I don’t have one of these things myself.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:09 pm

BWD wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:35 pm
Another question comes to mind: are the wings, including the screw holes, fully sealed? This sounds like there is exposed carbon involved, not just steel versus aluminum, to see damage in hours.
Maybe the attachment areas need a barrier coat of epoxy, especially in the holes?
Just a thought, I don’t have one of these things myself.
its nowhere near the attachment points, mainly aft of the front wing for 3 or 4 cm long before the mast recess :(

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:19 pm

The mast connector to fuselage is bare carbon, thus my worry. That’s why super proper anodization is so important.
I don’t think any coating on the mast would help due to the friction while mounting.

bigcane
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby bigcane » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:14 pm

been riding Moses for over a year now. The white spots on the fuse you see after riding are usually grease spots that are originating from the screw connections. Clean with some soap and green scrubby pad and they will be gone.

However as Rolf said, after a lot of riding you might get some corrosion on the lip of the fuse where it fits into the mast, but it is pretty minor, I would guess a Moses fuse would be perfectly fine for several years depending on how you treat it.

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:12 pm

The raised white crust usually occurs above pitting and is a hydrated form of the alumina, itself quite insoluble in water and to an extent protective. But it wouldn't be there so soon if the anodization was done correctly. In the interim, consider getting in a habit of wiping all the aluminum with something like Boeshield T9.
Yes, I'm a better materials science tech weenie than a kiter.
-Barry
Onda wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:30 pm
Hi all,
after having ridden my Moses foil in North Sea water for less than 3 hours during its first use I´ve been irritated to see clear signs of corrosion on the fuselage.
The shiny black (anodized) surface was covered with numerous elevated white spots of Al2O3 (alumina). ...
What do you think?
Will post the pictures here when I´ve managed to upload them.

Return to “Hydrofoil”