Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Scoring of tricks in GKA air games?

Forum for kitesurfers
WndRdr
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Scoring of tricks in GKA air games?

Postby WndRdr » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:17 pm

GKA's air games aims to combine kiteboarding styles. There are four categories from which the best three tricks will be counted to total score:
Regular jumps (spins, grabs – anything goes, as long as it’s high)
Board-offs
Kite loops
Handle-passes

Then judging criterias are
Height and amplitude, Technical Difficulty, Power, Risk factor, Smoothness and Innovation

And scoring categories: Air and Technical Difficulty which relation in percents may change depending by the wind conditions.

As the first event is now completed it would be very interesting on how the different tricks were scored and how egual are the trick categories. For sure a regular jump with a single backroll does not beat a douple handle pass when both landed but is it theoritically possible to get enough points from regular jumps or is it basicly mandatory to have a handlepass scored.

The format and scoring develops for sure but would be great to have more information or comments from competitors hoe they felt the scoring.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Scoring of tricks in GKA air games?

Postby Toby » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:52 pm

In each category you make your points.

So a high scoring Regular Jump gets the same points as a high scoring handle pass etc.

And this is good, since otherwise the handle pass wins again and we are back to freestyle.

This scoring system is excellent and finally show is back in our sport. Sad it ever left.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slim_charles » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:50 pm

WTF.... I assumed this was add on/show piece to the real tour not a replacement! Carlos Mario doing board offs... what a joke!

trickcoach
Medium Poster
Style: Unhooked
Gear: Switchkites Legacy

Postby trickcoach » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:28 pm

I assume you know who Usain Bolt is ... who knows who Ashton Eaton is ? If you translate to kiting formats Bebe is Usain Bolt , and the future winner of the GKA Air Games is Ashton Eaton

Do you want to be the best of the best at one thing or just an average dude at everything ? is this who we want as a world champion ?

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:53 am

wow what a joke

is gka the result of world sailing trying to run kite competitions or?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:25 am

#worldsailingkitekooks #hugeconflictsofinterests

gka are like world sailings subcontractors - paid to keep world sailing alive, because world sailing was threatened by ioc that if it did not choose kiteboarding.. they would lose medals and also possobly sailing may no longer be olympic... kiteboardings theft by proxy.

karma gave them crap wind for their events i like to think.

Can we all go back to by kiteboarders for kiteboarders please.

Remember, world sailing own the rules of sailing.. and being that this competition considers itself sailing, that includes these kiteboarding competition rules too... its just not right. They are protected by (c).

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada
Been thanked: 0

Postby JustAGirl » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Honest question: why do you care so much about competitions? Ours is a pretty open-ended, independent hobby. Why measure ourselves with competitive sports?
Worldsails is a fine org; they can discipline the competitive branch of the sport, it’s their right, and means nothing to me!

I mean, I kite for pleasure & to share quality time with my favorite ppl, not to be better than others. It’s a lifestyle, not a rat race... weird!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:17 am

each to their own, i always enjoyed competing, you meet like minded people in a very very niche area u enjoy and get stoked when u push each other to progress, inspired, and make good friendships.

with freestyle/waveriding we are always pushing each other regardless of comps too, its mskes for awesome sessions. When you are older you may lose that kind of drive though when other things become more of a priority to you.

naricissm is something different, its where you do not understand being humble regarding you real or fake talent.

i am passionate about kiteboarders controlling kiteboarding competition, including the competitors. Tjis winter olympics we saw the girls in slopesyle getting really hurt after being given 5mins to decide if they cancel the evet ( way too windy) they had been training for for 4 years.. the person making this threat.. the ski federation, not the snowboard federation.. they simply didnt understand the risk to the riders, they were not even a snowboarder.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada
Been thanked: 0

Postby JustAGirl » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:17 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:17 am
each to their own, i always enjoyed competing, you meet like minded people in a very very niche area u enjoy and get stoked when u push each other to progress, inspired, and make good friendships.

with freestyle/waveriding we are always pushing each other regardless of comps too, its mskes for awesome sessions. When you are older you may lose that kind of drive though when other things become more of a priority to you.

naricissm is something different, its where you do not understand being humble regarding you real or fake talent.

i am passionate about kiteboarders controlling kiteboarding competition, including the competitors. Tjis winter olympics we saw the girls in slopesyle getting really hurt after being given 5mins to decide if they cancel the evet ( way too windy) they had been training for for 4 years.. the person making this threat.. the ski federation, not the snowboard federation.. they simply didnt understand the risk to the riders, they were not even a snowboarder.
Sorry, girl brain here... I don’t get the competitive drive... forgive me

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:38 pm

Sorry, girl brain here... I don’t get the competitive drive... forgive me
[/quote]

Just picture yourself getting ready for a night out on the town,you dress to slay,and your game is on.You hit the club and check out the competition,maybe hit the ladies room for a few tweaks here and there,game on beeeicches! Time to throw some shade, break the internet with pics, blow up Instagram. :thumb: :buttsmile:

I'm with you,little friendly competition among friends is enough for me!

Return to “Kitesurfing”