Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is directional more fun than door in LW?

Forum for kitesurfers
Jukka
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn, Core, Shinn, Airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Is directional more fun than door in LW?

Postby Jukka » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:09 pm

I am looking for a non-foil board solution for light wind days.
At the moment my options are Airust Sector 60 or some XL door.

I have read many people writing directionals are more fun in light wind compared to doors.
What is it that makes it more fun?
I would think a door with 17m kite would make the occasional jump possible, and thus more fun, so what am I missing here?

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: Is directional more fun than door in LW?

Postby norcom » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:31 pm

I have a Sector 60, had the Monster Door, have a few foils. It all depends on how light you want to go; it's foil > Sector > Door. Having fun is all about being able to ride, if you can't ride you can't have fun. Then it depends on your style of riding. If you're only about jumping, your option is obviously a door. But if it's so light that you can't jump the door will be boring when all you can do is try to keep ground. The Sector is all about speed. It goes faster, higher and earlier. It can be jumped, it's just not very much fun for jumping. How deep is it where you ride? The door can go in inches of water. The Sector needs at least a foot for the large fins, prefarbly more.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Well I prefer door-tt on inland lakes or sea pools like Yyteri. Jumping, handplant roll tacks or darkslides are fun to do in light wind with proper 15m2 foil kite. It is just like snowkiting with snowboard in low wind.

Directional preferrers might have some swell to play with?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:55 pm

We are all different when it comes to fun....i had fun with XL door years ago...but now LW directional quad fins 4.5 front 4.0 back...5'2' X 21"(53cm ) X 2 3/8" is way more fun
With a 17 & so called average weight...using straps.. transitions jumps are possible at 10 knots...in 8 knots you can plane and keep upwind
Depends on your water too..do you have some kind of small waves to turn on and ride on the inside to increase the fun factor ?

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:02 pm

both are pretty boring imo

the only kind of big board i've ridden and liked somewhat is the north nugget. flat and has a ton of volume so it goes upwind well enough in light wind vs riding a normal sized twintip or surfboard. definitely doesnt have the upwind that a board like a sector would with the giant fins, but you cant really do anything on a sector except ride back and forth in a straight line

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:09 pm

I think for most people, its about the different challenge.

So with a directional instead of trying to do the same thing you might do in strong wind (which might be a bit disappointing if big air is your thing as you probably won't get that high), you might start off learning to do carving footswitches. Then as you get better you might start doing handstand 360s (like a low backroll but the board stays on the water. The fun for some like me is in the achievement (of new moves).

Jukka
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn, Core, Shinn, Airush

Postby Jukka » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:32 pm

Good points everyone, thanks!
I do have the water depth for the sector, but no waves for extra fun.

Just trying to keep the ground is where the fun ends for me at the moment with my non-door but large twintip. So Sector might add more fun to it with better speed and upwind angles so giving more room to play around. But so could a big door :) .
I'm not looking for light wind big air and it's definitely not all about jumping. Carving related things are already pointing towards fun.
dylan* wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:02 pm
...but you cant really do anything on a sector except ride back and forth in a straight line
...this is a demotivational thought regarding the Sector.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:48 pm

XXL door and Sector will get you going at the same time but Sector will go upwind much better. Forget riding waves with either, their flat rocker line is designed for speed and early planning .

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby JustAGirl » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:18 pm

sweet thread, a keeper ❤️✌️

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:06 am

Both are fun in different ways. If there is seaweed or very shallow flats, then the door. If choppy or upwind performance is a priority then the Sector/Raceboard. Don't forget Alaia or skim boards as options.

Return to “Kitesurfing”