Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite company's are out of their minds

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5711
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Kite company's are out of their minds

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 am

grigorib wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:55 am
Not below variable cost, I’d say.
Let’s say $200 complete is a great price for a board which lasts 5 years anyways
For a plank, that still seems too cheap...

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2394
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am
Kiting since: 0
Style: None, not even lawnmower.
Gear: Wipika Freeair 8.5 2 liner and Picklefork.
Brand Affiliation: iansmusic.com - free music for your kite videos

Re: Kite company's are out of their minds

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:32 am

fact is brands generally dont support youth in kiteboarding any more, they target high income /retired older riders. They used to support the youth movement and it thrived. $$$

You can see the change in target marketing if you look at adds from 12+ years ago and compare them to now.

entry
boards $399
kites 1299
harness $169

imo

User avatar
K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:42 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite company's are out of their minds

Postby K-Roy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:22 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:32 am
fact is brands generally dont support youth in kiteboarding any more, they target high income /retired older riders. They used to support the youth movement and it thrived. $$$

You can see the change in target marketing if you look at adds from 12+ years ago and compare them to now.

entry
boards $399
kites 1299
harness $169

imo
+1

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Kite company's are out of their minds

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:33 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:32 am
fact is brands generally dont support youth in kiteboarding any more, they target high income /retired older riders. They used to support the youth movement and it thrived. $$$

You can see the change in target marketing if you look at adds from 12+ years ago and compare them to now.

entry
boards $399
kites 1299
harness $169

imo
I think that there's been cumulative inflation of about 25% in the US in the last 12 years - this needs to be factored in to get a proper comparison.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Moses 71cm/91cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Coupe 6'
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite company's are out of their minds

Postby grigorib » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 am
grigorib wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:55 am
Not below variable cost, I’d say.
Let’s say $200 complete is a great price for a board which lasts 5 years anyways
For a plank, that still seems too cheap...
Saw other dealer selling complete new boards for $200. Wooden construction, lighter by a pound than my carbon Spleen (but shorter by 50mm too and narrower by 20mm). I wonder how cheap were they getting them for in first place.
From time to time there'll be one selling for less and snapping huge market share like Liquid Force did with Fishfoil but then again, Slingshot came back with 3 short masts for extra $150 and swung the pendulum their way.

Constant competition and high prices allow R&D, pay for terrible mistakes (fireball, Elite, GW2018, Phantom) and new players can cash out on gaps big guys' leave open - Cloud/Groove/Kanaha. The end result - riders have cool gear to ride, companies survive. win-win as I see it.

Overall 1-2 year old gear on sale is quite affordable, guys just need to keep their eyes open for these deals.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:22 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: montana

Re: Kite company's are out of their minds

Postby Craz Z » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:59 am
Craz Z wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:30 pm
Board- This is a tough one TT-100-200$
That seems a bit cheap :o
Yeah it probably is but i guess i don't value a TT much. I've always viewed them as tools like a hammer. Now directionals and foils I value more as vehicles thus a higher value. I guess there is more thought in shapping a board rather then programming a CNC router to plow out 1000's a day of wood planks and glue vs. intense man hours and multiple epoxy sessions in shaping a quality foam board that can withstand the pressures of foiling and strapless riding.

On top of that i might be biased as haven't ridden a TT in 3-4 years and the directional hasn't come out of the bag for at least a year strictly foiling right now.

TT are like snowboards i trash them so quickly that i would never see the difference between a highend board vs a low end board I go through a minimum of 1 snowboard a year kiting. TT I was always lazy leave the shore on land to water and ride er right back on shore when im done run em over rocks whatever they can certainly take a beating unlike the other disciplines I rarely even got my hair wet on a TT :D

dice
Rare Poster
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:05 pm
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite company's are out of their minds

Postby dice » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:49 am

Do you snowboard on tarmac or rocks or something like that? My snowboards have been gone on for years and years, while I'm often doing boardslides.
Just going downhill and jumps doesn't really wear out my board.

Same with my TT, it only wears out when I start in the sand. And it's going at a slow rate in my case.

User avatar
JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 pm
Kiting since: 0
Gear: The British Armada
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite company's are out of their minds

Postby JustAGirl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:47 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:32 am
fact is brands generally dont support youth in kiteboarding any more, they target high income /retired older riders. They used to support the youth movement and it thrived. $$$

You can see the change in target marketing if you look at adds from 12+ years ago and compare them to now.

entry
boards $399
kites 1299
harness $169

imo

You do realize you can donate your two year old material to younger guys who don’t have the means yet? Why do you want to take the bread from the mouths of the producers? Stupid!

Oh and BTW CHEAP liberal economies are not into supporting seniors or their youth anymore, they support migrants, illegal migrants! So the next generation of seniors won’t have the means to support kiteboarding.

Can you try for once to think things through to their logical conclusion or is that an alien skill on this planet these days? I don’t blame you! You’ve been fed liberal propaganda for decades. It rots the brain!

ThickAir
Medium Poster
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:43 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite company's are out of their minds

Postby ThickAir » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:36 pm

JustAGirl wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:47 am
longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:32 am
fact is brands generally dont support youth in kiteboarding any more, they target high income /retired older riders. They used to support the youth movement and it thrived. $$$

You can see the change in target marketing if you look at adds from 12+ years ago and compare them to now.

entry
boards $399
kites 1299
harness $169

imo

You do realize you can donate your two year old material to younger guys who don’t have the means yet? Why do you want to take the bread from the mouths of the producers? Stupid!

Oh and BTW CHEAP liberal economies are not into supporting seniors or their youth anymore, they support migrants, illegal migrants! So the next generation of seniors won’t have the means to support kiteboarding.

Can you try for once to think things through to their logical conclusion or is that an alien skill on this planet these days? I don’t blame you! You’ve been fed liberal propaganda for decades. It rots the brain!
Give the Neocon lunatic horseshit a rest, would you please? It's got no place here.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:22 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: montana

Re: Kite company's are out of their minds

Postby Craz Z » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:41 pm

dice wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:49 am
Do you snowboard on tarmac or rocks or something like that? My snowboards have been gone on for years and years, while I'm often doing boardslides.
Just going downhill and jumps doesn't really wear out my board.

Same with my TT, it only wears out when I start in the sand. And it's going at a slow rate in my case.
Snowkiting haven't been on a resort hill in longer then a decade. the speed and pressure is far too much for boards to handle I can burn the wax off in as little as 30mins of riding add in windblown spots surrounded by deep powder and you get core shots and ptex sessions that are almost every ride! Mostly near the beginning and the end of the season, and i have kited over a road really really bad for the board. I'm trying to be more aware of whats underneath the snow but its hard and the boards are cheap so just keep getting new ones after they look like swiss cheese. :D


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: or6 and 29 guests