Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2018 Formula Kite European Championships

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


User avatar
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2328
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Vancouver, Canada

2018 Formula Kite European Championships

Postby cglazier » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:38 am

This is a very big event with most of the top racers in the world there. Today was day one.
Daniela Moroz and Nico Parlier/Olly Bridge/Axel Mazella in the lead after 1 race in 25 knots and some serious swell that forced the race committee to postpone all other racing till tomorrow.
Unfortunately only one round of racing completed before the conditions got too difficult to continue racing. Both race committee and competitors pretty much in survival mode.
CG
Attachments
36809918_641691852835220_2007708644635836416_o (Small).jpg
36828586_641693702835035_522149318887473152_o (Small).jpg

User avatar
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2328
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: 2018 Formula Kite European Championships

Postby cglazier » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:41 pm

Day 2
What a day of racing ! 27 heats completed in winds ranging from 9 to 22 knots and perfect sailing conditions. Axel Mazella and Olly Bridge are leading the mens fleet on equal points while Daniela Moroz remains an unbeatable force in the womens fleet.
36883438_642720852732320_3367904802796208128_o (Medium).jpg
36883438_642720852732320_3367904802796208128_o (Medium).jpg
36993234_642723092732096_1952974857020899328_o (Medium).png
36942832_642631149407957_4794328510552342528_o (Medium).jpg
36926412_642631272741278_2690309837098582016_o (Medium).jpg
Attachments
36875909_642722532732152_5949299629387415552_o (Medium).png

Pemba
Medium Poster
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:39 am
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Ozone C4, Brokite Hybrid
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2018 Formula Kite European Championships

Postby Pemba » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:09 pm

Nico Parlier in 8th ? What happened ? Must be a new experience to him..

FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:33 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2018 Formula Kite European Championships

Postby FrederikS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:52 pm

He jumped the start apparently. Will probably be back in front once the gold fleet races start.

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8677
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: 2018 Formula Kite European Championships

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Pemba wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:09 pm
Nico Parlier in 8th ? What happened ? Must be a new experience to him..

But remember, they are not competing AGAINST each other yet, it is three different groups as you can see there are 3 firsts, and 3 seconds etc, in each race.

It will be in the finals competing directly, everything will be settled :thumb:

It always confuses with this type of race system, but you need to start this way if many competitors I believe, and eliminate :roll:

He got a bad discard - but had firsts and seconds and third places otherwise :D

8) Peter

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1496
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:10 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Re: 2018 Formula Kite European Championships

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Since when is 25 knots "survival conditions" for the top racers? I've personally seen Nico ride in 30kts+ during a gale and do JUST fine. So did I, for what it's worth...

User avatar
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2328
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: 2018 Formula Kite European Championships

Postby cglazier » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:04 am

Day 3
More rain and risk of thunderstorms brought the day to an end - therefore not much to report. Skippers meeting tomorrow at 10.

Some more pictures from yesterday..
Attachments
36933421_643553895982349_7191296535215210496_o (Medium).jpg
36933394_643554702648935_1689944239405793280_o (Medium).jpg
36926442_643554102648995_4674649229669433344_o (Medium).jpg
37041492_643554005982338_2019183994091864064_o (Medium).jpg
36923514_643555375982201_3207962608694984704_o (Medium).jpg

Pemba
Medium Poster
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:39 am
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Ozone C4, Brokite Hybrid
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2018 Formula Kite European Championships

Postby Pemba » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:16 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:02 pm
Pemba wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:09 pm
Nico Parlier in 8th ? What happened ? Must be a new experience to him..

But remember, they are not competing AGAINST each other yet, it is three different groups as you can see there are 3 firsts, and 3 seconds etc, in each race.

It will be in the finals competing directly, everything will be settled :thumb:

It always confuses with this type of race system, but you need to start this way if many competitors I believe, and eliminate :roll:

He got a bad discard - but had firsts and seconds and third places otherwise :D

8) Peter

A, Ok, you are right, I didn't realize that. Should have looked a bit better. Thanks.

User avatar
Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2145
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Algarve - Faro

Re: 2018 Formula Kite European Championships

Postby Pedro Marcos » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:26 am

Mossy 757 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:15 pm
Since when is 25 knots "survival conditions" for the top racers? I've personally seen Nico ride in 30kts+ during a gale and do JUST fine. So did I, for what it's worth...
Problem was not the wind, but the sea conditions.

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8677
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: 2018 Formula Kite European Championships

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:15 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:26 am
Mossy 757 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:15 pm
Since when is 25 knots "survival conditions" for the top racers? I've personally seen Nico ride in 30kts+ during a gale and do JUST fine. So did I, for what it's worth...
Problem was not the wind, but the sea conditions.

Yup - huge "waves", hmmm actually not waves, but huge close CHOP waves like rarely seen anywhere, almost impossible to ride ok safe even for these experienced riders :o

8) Peter


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gigibianchi, Pemba and 4 guests

cron