Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Strappless or Strapped for Learning to Foil ??

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Re: Strappless or Strapped for Learning to Foil ??

Postby Barryg101 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:13 am

I'm learning now and tried firstly with strapless was a nightmare to get the board in position and spent say to much time struggling in the water ... a friend said yo use only front straps worked like an absolute charm 100 times easier and really fun , have the straps loose and your ankles willl be fine.

Definatley wear a helmet and possibly and impact vest ..

Enjoy the lovely feeling

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:32 am

Barryg101 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:13 am
I'm learning now and tried firstly with strapless was a nightmare to get the board in position and spent say to much time struggling in the water ... a friend said yo use only front straps worked like an absolute charm 100 times easier and really fun , have the straps loose and your ankles willl be fine.

Definatley wear a helmet and possibly and impact vest ..

Enjoy the lovely feeling

Definitely strap(s) as Barry and nothing2seehere writes.

It IS possible to learn without, but you will, everyone taken into one lump, take soooo much longer learning, and get so many negative experiences.

A hook or a loose strap(s), or really tight so your foot can not get stuck, it all works.

As soon as you can ride reasonably back and fourth and in ok control, so you have excess energy to focus on other things too - you can ditch the hook or straps fully.

By far the fastest way to learn, no matter if you are a world champion strapless on non-foil boards - it wont help you here at all :roll:

And reverse, when you have learned later to start strapless, you can ride easily without straps even if you have never ridden any board strapless before - it is SO much easier on a hydrofoil :thumb:

8) PF

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:48 pm

I second the vote for a single front hook to learn with on day 1. Once you are comfortable going both directions, I would switch to 2 front hooks. The 2 front hook configuration will make foot-switches easier.

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Safest=no straps.

Quickest learning= straps or hooks.

Also depends on foil weight and length. If heavy then timing of water start is much harder without straps. That was my personal situation: strapless with heavy sinking hoverglide. But I wanted safest pathway.

If I had to do again, I would put a soft button fixture as a stopper for where front foot should abut. That way the placement of front foot during water start would be consistent and still remain a strapless set up.

I’m in third season and just now put straps on to jump.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:26 pm

Hooks hooks Hooks hooks Hooks hooks Hooks hooks ! Did i say Hooks ?

Put the rear one where your rear foot should be as a beginner ( generally over the mast plate) , the front one as far forward as it will go ( reasonably in relation to you stance width) - you want the front one out of the way when riding
This way you have them for water starting and making sure your rear foot is in correct position - this is critical to get right.
Front one helps get board into position.
Once you are up onto board and surface riding you can learn to surface ride first. Then later adjust front foot backwards and start flying.

Its 100% safe and definately the easiest.

Previously i have stated the Slingshot foot hooks were not breaking on me, but after 18 months i have broken 2 in quick succession by grabbing the rear hook with my hand while in the water and upward pressure has broken them.
I have an extra set, and am repairing them with some carbon and glass.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:55 pm

My wife and I both wasted more then a day trying to learn with a hook on the front. I do not recommend it, you will get injured more by loosing control of the board and falling on the foil while water starting then you will using a strap. Use one or two straps on the front only. Leave them lose you only need them for water start. It is not dangerous at all. I thought it was before I tried it but once you do you will see it is fine. Trying to hold your feet on the board strapless while learning how the foil changes the dynamics of the board and keeping your kite in position to quickly dive for water start is very very difficult at the start when you really need to be focusing on riding the board and starting to fly.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:26 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:55 pm
My wife and I both wasted more then a day trying to learn with a hook on the front. I do not recommend it, you will get injured more by loosing control of the board and falling on the foil while water starting then you will using a strap. Use one or two straps on the front only. Leave them lose you only need them for water start. It is not dangerous at all. I thought it was before I tried it but once you do you will see it is fine. Trying to hold your feet on the board strapless while learning how the foil changes the dynamics of the board and keeping your kite in position to quickly dive for water start is very very difficult at the start when you really need to be focusing on riding the board and starting to fly.

Very well put, this is how it is for by far the majority of those learning yes :thumb:

8) PF

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:51 pm

I started with a loose front foot strap. Changed to a single front hook and then progressed to strapless.

Tried a friends board with a rear strap once and felt like I almost broke my ankle.

I think water starting strapless is much easier on a low volume board.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:26 pm

A low volume board like a Crazy Fly chill deck makes the strapless waterstart much easier. A big floater needs more muscle to bring the foil on edge and rights itself faster.

I’m a fan of strapless learning. Would consider foothooks. Don’t be sad when they break. Risk on ankle injury with straps especially early.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:24 pm

I spent my first two days with a front strap, then I had a fall where I think I narrowly avoided a nasty knee injury. Decided to ditch straps after that. Third session was spent trying to sort out strapless water starts, but after that I never missed them. Three seasons later, I don’t miss foot straps much. All told, I think I spent one extra day in the learning process by taking straps off.

I’d try with strapless first, the starts are another thing to learn, but that only takes a day or two. If you are still having trouble water starting after a couple days, maybe try a foot strap then.

Strapless on a foil is a lot different than on a surfboard. With a surfboard I don’t use straps because they force me into awkward body positions, but I always miss them a little bit. With a foil, I see no advantages to strapless (aside from safety), but I also don’t miss them much.

I upgraded to a carbon foil, and strapless starts are much easier. With a heavier aluminum foil, I used my rear hand and rear knee to force board into position on its side, then brought my rear foot into position just before diving the kite.

Return to “Hydrofoil”