Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Woo3 and Xensr compared

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:19 am

joriws wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:02 pm
For sure I did post mine 7.2m as a part of the game and will be posting in the future as I now also have the Woo3. I just want to open up discussion that probably 11.3m posting on facebook might mean 8m in SI-units and probably 8-9m on Xensr-meters. Just when non-Woo3 users think what someone might have jumped.

Here is a short video with two jumps trying to validate Xensr device with camera-horizon level video. I am not saying Xensr is accurate but to my belief it does not exaggerate so much.
I've video of jumps that day to match with the Woo, and while the board may have gone 11m, my backside didn't #woostforheight

Trying to count body height or line length from the take off points, it looks like Woo is pretty close but clearly on the optimistic side.

I'm less interested in absolute accuracy than I am in challenging myself and the social fun n' games.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joriws » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:50 am

Ah now I see. I was not thinking your woosting announce with 11m but guys here locally selling certain brand kites.

They used woo2 with abandoned brand and then woo3 came at the same time with new brand of kites - these new kites jump higher. When only thing is w3 reporting higher than w2.. :lol:

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:03 am

Try jumping without swinging your board ;)

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:34 am

All speaking that woo 3 adds about 25-30 percent height, in those charts very clear possible see how woo adds in logaritmical progression to higher jums more heights.
Probably last year 29meters jump records (by the way with woo) was maybe achieved using woo 3 prototype too ? :)
Because this highest jump belongs to Joshua if im right and he very advertise this woo i remember. Who can denied that his friends from woo dont released to him special software version with triggered turbo boosting in digits :)?

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 am

a99 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:34 am
All speaking that woo 3 adds about 25-30 percent height, in those charts very clear possible see how woo adds in logaritmical progression to higher jums more heights.
Probably last year 29meters jump records (by the way with woo) was maybe achieved using woo 3 prototype too ? :)
Because this highest jump belongs to Joshua if im right and he very advertise this woo i remember. Who can denied that his friends from woo dont released to him special software version with triggered turbo boosting in digits :)?
The only sure thing is that we cant belive this shit Toys...and waiting reality test...soon as possible

PeaBody
Medium Poster
Style: Free-ride
Gear: Anything to fly

Postby PeaBody » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:52 am

This has been round and round in circles, lets not see these as jumps in meters.. they are 'jump scores', and you can only compare one scoring mechanism with itself... cross comparison is pointless, they are different mechanisms.

If they were true to real life 'meters' then who would be the first selling that fact...?!?!?! Woo or Xensr...

People have fun getting high jump scores that is it.. its fun!

joriws
Very Frequent Poster

Postby joriws » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:53 am

Well we have this investigated. Cheapest action cams are 25€ in Amazon.de. Buy sewer plumming for 10m. Set 6 action cams from 5m to 10m and verify. Or creater accuracy install camera every 0.5m.

I am even thinking if "stereo" view of cameras could be used to analyze greater range of jumps. You got camera-horizon plane of cameras. You measure angle above horizon from different cameras if you know lens and sensor specs. Then estimate like in Tachymeter (construction) the distance and height.

Good thing is that this rig can monitor whole beach simultaneously (or 140 degree view to sea on cheap action cams) and is immune to rider distance where he jumps. Because the question is if he breaks the horizontal plane or not.

I'd think OpenCV with hopefully simple program could be used to analyze camera footage automatically. There were some ready made sounding program but I've forgotten its name.

EDIT: Quick calculation with 6x cheapest cams + memory cards + pipe mounts + 10m sewer pipes would be around 400e investment..
--
imu-cam-verifying.gif
Last edited by joriws on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster

Postby joriws » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:15 am

PeaBody, The problem is that both device display results as meters or feet. Meters is SI-unit which is same everywhere, defined by light speed in vacuum.

So if Woo tells 10 meters and Xensr tells 7 meters they are referring to SI-unit meter, not a score. I've years written in this forum that Woo should call theirs Woo-meters and Xensr as X-Meters. PIQ and Trace do the same.

As long as they don't call their own unit it is not a score and interested people want have reality check and call for the device maker bullshit. And even form a conversion factor like subtract 30% from Woo-result to estimate real height. There has been comparison with Woo1 - Woo2 and Woo3. I wanted to form opinion and factor between Xensr Air and Woo3 - hence this post as I though someone else might be interested.

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:29 am

I too use them for fun and to challenge/improve myself. But you are right, displaying results in SI units invites comparison and consequently criticism probably. But if you could just apply a factor to go from one to the other then the algorithms and measuring devices (accelerometers ?) used are already quite accurate and the manufacturers must deliberately be coming up with the wrong, maybe inflated results, which I think is unlikely. Still I'm interested in what you might come up with..

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:26 pm

That's a bit dodgy. Like selling fast cars with optimisitic speedos...
wrogu wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:03 am
Try jumping without swinging your board ;)
Got "11m" doing it that way. Comparing the video, looks close -- under half of line length but not by much. I think a woost is good for another 1 to 1.5m though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”