Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which is your preferred trim system?

Forum for kitesurfers
NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Re: Which is your preferred trim system?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:37 pm

kitelife wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:03 pm
Slingshot Guardian: Very few moving parts with cleat and thick bomb proof lines. Kept simple and easy to inspect.
Except for the fact that there are common situations that can completely jam the safety. Can't believe SS is still selling it.

kitelife
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Secret Spots with iKitesurf meters.
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: slingshot, north/duotone

Postby kitelife » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:40 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:37 pm
kitelife wrote:
Slingshot Guardian: Very few moving parts with cleat and thick bomb proof lines. Kept simple and easy to inspect.
Except for the fact that there are common situations that can completely jam the safety. Can't believe SS is still selling it.
Never had this issue. I don’t see how the safety can get jammed. Occasionally my depower line gets wrapped when unhooking and in suicide mode but the eject appeared fine. I guess that’s why they came out with the sentinel bar (above bar depower). I personally don’t have issues with below the bar depower and am not a fan of above bar depower (or the new novelty bars with concealed moving parts).

For me this is the bar I know and So far it’s been a durable and safe bar. Another reason I like this bar is I don’t have to launch in suicide mode. The large clip on the leash allows me to setup suicide mode in the water and take it out of suicide mode in the water before heading to an extremely crowded launch/land area.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:09 pm

I like the principe of UDS that Zeeko put on bars some years ago. I made one by myself on custom home made bar. The bigest advantage is that there is nothing flaping in the wind or tangling the depower rope. To me it is an excellent system for people that need to depower specially in light wind and not very often.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:25 am

NorCalNomad wrote:
kitelife wrote:
Best bar ever made! Never jammed on me,been using since 2011.Common situations? lol :nono:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:15 am

NorCalNomad wrote:
kitelife wrote:
I've never had mine jam either. The lines can twist so it will not flag but any bar/lines can do that as well. I did like the bungee on the Core bar but I don't like the release being different than every other brands. Push away seems better to me than the twist. I think the release of the chicken loop should be an industry standard.

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:36 am

Above the bar. I guess clam cleat. But I've never really had issues with any of them, I hardly use the depower while kiting.

kitelife
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Secret Spots with iKitesurf meters.
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: slingshot, north/duotone

Postby kitelife » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 am

Pemba wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:36 am
Above the bar. I guess clam cleat. But I've never really had issues with any of them, I hardly use the depower while kiting.
You launch fully powered?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:54 am

kitelife wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 am
Pemba wrote:
Does anyone launch fully powered??? Fully powered means bar pulled fully down! lol

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:47 am

kitelife wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 am
Pemba wrote:
In normal conditions on the depower system, yes. I'll probably push the bar out to start with and power up (on the bar) as appropriate.

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:51 pm

Seems that the above the bar clam cleat still a favorite? I have a carrot bar and a core sensor, both with the clamcleat system and i am totally comfortable with them. I've tried the guardian also, not bad, but is a little bit tricky to adjust when not powered, however, as i have short arms, was easier to reach. With the clamcleat very often i need to pull the center lines to reach the depower rope, its not a big deal, however once I had an unintentional unhooking doing that. I really didn't like the pull pull system from Airush, as i don't get the visual reference of how much I can increase or decrease the power... I guess after few years kiting this doesn't matter, but for beginners that is really handy. I wanna try the click bar and/or the stick shift to see if worth the $$$.

Return to “Kitesurfing”