jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why two regular shaped twintips?

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:24 am

Being less lame is the way to get youth interested enough to get themselves into kiting. Don't kid yourself, they will do it whatever way they want, not the way you lay it out for them.
Last edited by jumptheshark on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:39 pm

foam-n-fibre wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:45 pm
I build my own boards and have built them with the same rocker, flex and outline curve, but one board was 136x38.5, while the other board was 136x43. There is a world of difference. Each cm of width is like adding a metre of kite size......

I really enjoy the locked in feel of being really powered on a narrow board for carving hard and setting an edge to boost. But in variable wind its a bit unforgiving to be on a small board......
So what is your take on the long and narrow Slingshot "Glide" for light wind? Is there a situation where this board makes sense?

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:03 pm

downunder wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:22 am
Matteo V wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:32 pm
So why are you here? Is it not to present your views in a effort to help others understand as well as have your views challenged to further your own understanding?

Here just to kill some time...

I remember discussion with you, even your fellow countryman is saying what's enough is enough. Your pics are so lame, proving nothing about the boards but how big your EGO is.
I appreciate that you are here to kill some time. And for whatever reason you contribute, someone will likely get something out of that - hopefully some good.

downunder wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:22 am
Matteo V wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:32 pm
"Is it not to present your views in a effort to help others understand as well as have your views challenged to further your own understanding?"
- err, no.

What's to understand about the taste?
I think your statement is like "Homer Simpson Zen" or something along those lines. In kiteboarding, I came to understand very early on that "taste" is a feeling you get from your particular approach. What/how you ride, and why it makes you feel good, is something that is positively and absolutely conveyable to a large degree. My approach to riding and my continued participation in this sport was influenced by many important discussions with other riders on the beach. One discussion about "taste" encouraged me to try a modern directional when I believed that directionals were not for me. This was due to having only experience with 2001 era directional kiteboards prior to that conversation. Pretty much any modern TT is going to feel better than those old POS tiny narrow surfboards, especially at the skill level I was at when this was going on. So a discussion on taste set me on the path that led me to my current level of happiness in the sport.

Even in the fashion industry, the frivolity of a "look" or "taste" can be explained, if nothing else than how it compares to other looks. It is not beyond (average) human comprehension to convey ones reason, and feelings with regards to "taste" for one thing vs another. And even in the fashion industry lead by a few top designers, the "innovations" in style are just copied by the designers who are less noteworthy than those top designers. Very little innovation seems to come from the bottom up, or so it seems when you buy into the hype.

So do you still think that "taste" is not something you can understand to the point which you can convey it to another person? Or did you drunk post that one?

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Postby RagingGrandpa » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:24 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:39 pm
So what is your take on the long and narrow Slingshot "Glide" for light wind? Is there a situation where this board makes sense?
You've stumbled upon the most awful TT I've ever tried: Glide 160x40. I'm about 185cm tall, 70kg, and with my height I thought the length would be acceptable... wrong. Powerful edging is nearly impossible with a board that long, so the wind range ends up being tiny. It's immediately disturbed by any chop, and having such a long distance between your rear foot and trailing edge of the board makes it impossible to dig in your heel. I totally understand why 'wide' boards (instead of 'long') are more popular now.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:23 am

Don't bother RagingGrandpa,

this guy will probably out talk anyone on his path. He will probably argue with Toby why using 126x36 board when more "advanced" boards are on the market. But, he showed us his skills, now we know ;) Quite stylish hey!

Matteo V, me lovely mother thought me long time ago that discussion about the taste is pointless. I'll stick to this, thanks. I would suggest to ask Toby about the style, discipline and training, preferably with the same gear over and over.

In less than 500 words please.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:02 pm

downunder wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:23 am

this guy will probably out talk anyone on his path. He will probably argue with Toby why using 126x36 board when more "advanced" boards are on the market. But, he showed us his skills, now we know ;) Quite stylish hey!

Matteo V, me lovely mother thought me long time ago that discussion about the taste is pointless. I'll stick to this, thanks. I would suggest to ask Toby about the style, discipline and training, preferably with the same gear over and over.

Does have a certain charm. :wink:

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:17 pm

downunder wrote:

Dude, your such a brown nosed super fan!

This is like watching a couple mathletes in a staredown.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:33 pm

Dude,

Now that Mattie showed us his taste, it’s your turn ;)

So we can all admire your style.

Other than that, have no idea what u just wrote, yank ‘red neck’ tongue isnotmyforte.

Plus, use a “foe” feature, it does work. I use it all the time.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:18 pm

RagingGrandpa wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:24 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:39 pm
You've stumbled upon the most awful TT I've ever tried: Glide 160x40. I'm about 185cm tall, 70kg, and with my height I thought the length would be acceptable... wrong. Powerful edging is nearly impossible with a board that long, so the wind range ends up being tiny. It's immediately disturbed by any chop, and having such a long distance between your rear foot and trailing edge of the board makes it impossible to dig in your heel. I totally understand why 'wide' boards (instead of 'long') are more popular now.
I very much agree, but this topic has been gone over before and (to my surprise) there are fans of that board out there.

I have used the Glide never owned one of the long/skinny versions of that board. My opinion of it is that it is one of the fringe developments in kiteboarding that went too far. Similar to the "lil phatty" Liquid Force pump - talk about going the wrong way! Maybe that pump was good for travel, but I would never accept one for free.

My interest in this is that I too use a board on the fringes and "not in style". The Kitefish has some huge drawbacks and is pretty much wrong for kiting in many ways for average users of average weight. And even at my weight, it still has some limitations compared to a quiver of surfboards. I just happened to have a need for it's "unbreakability" and was forced to use the Kitefish for a month when I had trashed all my other "real" surfboards. Now I have adapted to it and make it work. So maybe I will give the longer/narrower Glide model a chance if I come across one. I really hated my kitefish at first, but now I am tuned to it.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:54 pm

downunder wrote:
.....He will probably argue with Toby why using 126x36 board when more "advanced" boards are on the market. But, he showed us his skills, now we know ;) Quite stylish hey!
Downsey,

I will do my best to accommodate your request for "something short to read". Though I must admit I am a little lost on your reference to Toby and hist style.

Actually I do use the same kites which are no longer made and from a defunct company across my entire water quiver. And they are beginner kites too, though there have been many advances that have produced much more easy going beginner kites since the time that Kahoona's were widely used for that purpose. I also use a board that very few kiters actively utilize. If I want to pick up a used one, I know kiters that have them still in the packaging, or lightly used. But they NEVER use them. I actually can name only one kiter that uses the Kitefish on the coast, and I have seen one that a guy put "wake boots" on (finless) for riding sliders in Hood River. And honestly, that is where I got my idea to use it on a rail since I had given up all my TT's.

So your point is "discussion about the taste is pointless", but you want me to talk to Toby about his style? I don't get it. Could you clarify? - 208 words

downunder wrote:
Let me apologize right off the bat if you take this next part as insulting to you or anyone close to you. I do not intend it that way nor am I suggesting that this is in fact applicable to the specific case above. Put simply, I do not intend to insult you or your lovely mother.

Again this is a broad statement about human beings ability to convey concepts, thoughts, and feelings. At or below a certain level of IQ, and more importantly - emotional intelligence, it is difficult for a person to actually know why they enjoy something. While persons of all levels of intelligence often say "I don't know, I just like it", almost all persons with an average or above average IQ/emotional intelligence can at least partially explain why they like something. Or rather, taste/style, gives specific feelings which are easily conveyed if examined thoroughly by persons with average/above average capabilities. While I do not claim to be any more than average, I too can also give you the specific reasoning why I have the tastes (or lack thereof) I do. I would assume that you could possibly do the same, so don't give up just because someone told you to. - 205 words

Return to “Kitesurfing”