Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Double Agent vs Alien Air/H4 to start & progress with?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Re: Double Agent vs Alien Air/H4 to start & progress with?

Postby robclaisse » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:57 am

I've written both - not for a longer but have a good feel of both the foils.

Overall both will do you well as far as learning the basics of foiling without too much hassle. The hard part is where you say:
I cannot afford to buy a set up that I will grow out of in a season or two.
That is so dependant on how good a kiteboarder you currently are, how quickly you pick up new sports and how often you get out foiling and thus improve. Also, there isn't really one foil that will allow you to cover all types of kite foiling disciples and only once you get into it will you really see the style of ride you will prefer.

Back to the actual foils - you are right to pick foils like the DA or AA/HF4 as you will find learning far easier and progress past the more frustrating early stage,s way easier - too many people get a more advanced foil to start with, to save themselves a second purchase down the line but then struggle to just get the basic dialled. Both they foils will be good for learning the basics of foiling back and forward and gybing.

The DA's downside is that it is a bit slow - can feel like a bit draggy once you're more experienced or have ridden other foils (though if this is the only foil you have access to you won't know any difference and be happy with it :wink: ). Also because the front wing design is quite dated - it's the original "shovel" design, it has quite a narrow span (the width from tip to tip) and so when you come to learn things like foot changes it can be a little bit rolly and harder (or a better way to put it would be, its a lot easier to learn on some other newer front wings). The final issue with the DA is that you can't change the front wings, the 2019 Cabrinha foils use a different fuselage so there is no way to just upgrade part of the foil. But these negatives aside the DA is hugely popular with beginner foilers, I know several people who have/had them and all have progressed really with on them. Because of that resell value is very good too, so if you want to upgrade in the future, you can easily pass it on. I'm also a big fan of this style of the low volume ABS style foilboard for beginners - many find it way easier to move the board around and get it on their feet compared to the volume style boards.

The AA/H4 - I only used this briefly so my experience with it is limited but I did like it and found it very quick to adapt too and for quite a large front wing it was surprisingly easy to ride (lift was slow and predictable, and not too front foot heavy which can be harder for new foilers to get to grips with). I'd agree with @Kamikuza that it's not the lightest of foils and you might outgrow the front wing, depending on how you progress through the larger wing and its wider span does make it more roll stable which helps when learning some techniques. One advantage with the Slingshot system is you could just buy a new front wing and that would then give you a whole new ride for a relatively small additional cost.

At the end of the day, you'll be happy with either and probably whatever you can get at the best price and quickly will be the winner. Just get started!

One quick tip - you said the wind in your area is 8-13 knots - though foiling in 8 knots is definitely possible, its hard work when you're first learning, realistically 10 knots is probably the minimum and we normally recommend 12-18 knots as the best wind window if you want to make life as easy as possible for your first attempts. By all means try in those lighter winds but don't be put off if you struggle and realise its probably the conditions rather than you that is making it hard.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:40 am

bragnouff wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:43 am
I've used the DA 145 quite a bit without the foil when traveling. That wouldn't be my first choice at home, but when traveling, that definitely saved the day. You just have to not have crazy high expectations of performance in the surf, but it's pleasant, and with a bit of adaptation it feels OK. Super fun in flat conditions with strong winds, also behind a boat it doubles as a pretty decent board to get into wakeboarding/skurfing. So, overall very versatile, compact and bombproof. The DA board is actually much nicer than the foil that comes with it. So if you have the option to mix and match, go ahead!
Dunno how the mast to foot strap placement would be mixing it though....

Pantoporos Aporos
Rare Poster
Gear: Crazyfly Strapless
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Pantoporos Aporos » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Thanks, all. I appreciate all the input. I'll keep mulling this over for a while, and might stop by my local and local-ish shops and take a look at / get a feel for each set up. If the slingshot does not strike me as terribly heavy, I might just go with that. Looks like either option would be good, so we'll see.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:38 am

Make sure you set it up, then tuck it under your arm and carry it around for a while, like you're walking down the beach. Weight, especially in the foil, was the number 1 reason I sold my SS setup and got the Axis Ride.

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sandras » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:37 pm

Okkiteboarder wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:24 pm
Here are a couple of videos I just put together, first over things to consider, and secondly over the slingshot hypermiler board (love it, way more than the alien air, which I also have).
https://youtu.be/qA_k8qK71vc
https://youtu.be/6KWdJP5VBBE
Nice Videos! :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”