Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Crap surf fun

Postby Slappysan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:55 am

Um ... Neither of those are A: strapless or B: surfboards

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:56 am

Slappysan you are right. My only defense is that they ARE enormous fun. Why would anyone want to go strapless in crappy waves?

mike dubs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: southend, whitstable, camber
Favorite Beaches: west end of camber sands
Style: Surf
Gear: FireWire, BWS drifter, nobble skim board, 12/9/7 bandit 5's
Has thanked: 0

Postby mike dubs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:48 am

My conditions are 90% on or x on shore. Any decent surfboard shape works fine.

Biggest issue is a good deep turning kite and kite skills, lots of power and an aggressive attitude and you can rip on or x on with pleasure. Also put ur foot farther back to crank it.

The 10% x shore I get can be good but it’s super gusty in that direction at my spot, so half ur bottom turns or cutbacks are ruined by awkward gust or lull timing.

Mike

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:05 pm

sarc wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:56 am
Why would anyone want to go strapless in crappy waves?
Crappy small, as in closeout, no distance from one to the next, and no organization = great place to practice strapless! Yes, you will go slower strapless, and not be able to do as much as you could strapped. But when the waves get bigger, and are of some consequence (should you fall), you can transfer some of the skill and just plain experience to the bigger stuff.

Strapless is a handicap no matter what (on a board under 6'-0" in length). I definitely support strapless riders upping their skill in crappy waves so they are not so much of a liability when it gets good.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:55 am
Um ... Neither of those are A: strapless or B: surfboards
I think sarc has a pretty good recommendation for the OP of another thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2400881&sid=b7c3c24 ... d8985e6fb7, but not for this one. This guy has stated that he has completely bought into strapless and has the desire to make it work.

BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?

Postby BigZ » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:39 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:05 pm
sarc wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:56 am
Why would anyone want to go strapless in crappy waves?
Crappy small, as in closeout, no distance from one to the next, and no organization = great place to practice strapless! Yes, you will go slower strapless, and not be able to do as much as you could strapped. But when the waves get bigger, and are of some consequence (should you fall), you can transfer some of the skill and just plain experience to the bigger stuff.

Strapless is a handicap no matter what (on a board under 6'-0" in length). I definitely support strapless riders upping their skill in crappy waves so they are not so much of a liability when it gets good.
Could not agree more. Practicing in messy onshore beach breaks develops skills that will keep you smiling and may save your life or at least equipment when you venture into bigger waves.

STFU
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone c4's

Postby STFU » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:12 am

Plenty to think about thanks for the feed back. I am on a old slingshot srt in on shore crap. Can't see me ever using straps. Strapless is far more fun and rewarding in any conditions.

collider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plumb
Gear: Arcs/Foils

Postby collider » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Slappysan - Thanks for the board rec. Tried the performer 5'6" for first time yesterday (thought the 4'10" might be a bit too small). Was so much more natural for me on surfboard as opposed to TT (just started kiting this summer, but been surfing for a bunch of years). Didn't want to beat up my good boards. This seems to be a perfect answer - light, inexpensive, fairly indestructible, don't mind beating it up while I learn. Watched you water start on some of your vids, remembered after a couple laughable tries and couldn't believe how easy it was to get up and riding. You should talk to Ben Gravy about getting your own Slappysan branded version!
Love the vids - you always seem to be having a ton of fun, and I'm picking up some very helpful tips.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:33 pm

I'd be curious to know the weight of the Performer 5-6 if you could weigh yourself holding the board, then weigh yourself and subtract that to get the weight of the board.

I was skeptical of the Performer 4-10 being too short for myself (75 kg / 165 lbs) but I can assure you it's not.

Np on the board rec, I love theses boards, so much fun to ride. Glad to share the stoke. Glad you like the vids, always nice to get some feedback.

I would also suggest you try taking the rear fin out of the Performer 5-6 and try riding it as a twin. I ride my Stump 5-0 as a twin behind the boat and it's way more fun to slash with, super loose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Ferjix96E&t=38s

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:41 pm

yeah man, you gotta land that transom hop drop in!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”