Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ben Wilson Kite bar

Forum for kitesurfers
Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ben Wilson Kite bar

Postby Faxie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:38 pm

Ok, I'm searching for parts to build my own bars...

There are multiple brands using the old style BWS bar, like Peter Lynn and Gin, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if the barhole on the topside of the bar is wider nowadays? Can't see it on any pictures...

I demo'ed an Aeneema a while back, but I found the friction on the centerline while steering and sheeting very annoying. I do like the design of the bar a lot though.

Thoughts? Alternatives maybe? Really hard to find decent spare bars for a good price with soft ends and simple red/black color coding...

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:06 am

Think that bar was designed originally with a naked depower line. Did you test one with a PVC coated depower?

Have a number of these bars among others. Have never noticed friction but my depower lines are all uncoated.

Great bar, but the CL unit is a bit heavy. The bar itself is really light.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:21 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:06 am
Think that bar was designed originally with a naked depower line. Did you test one with a PVC coated depower?

Have a number of these bars among others. Have never noticed friction but my depower lines are all uncoated.

Great bar, but the CL unit is a bit heavy. The bar itself is really light.
The more recent versions have coated lines ;)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:11 am

Thats what I meant. The PU coating came later and I guess it doesn't fit well with the existing diameter of hole. There is a bushing in the centre hole that was initially included to stop wear of the depower line, but now that its coated, the two plastic materials likely bind a bit too easily.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:55 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:11 am
Thats what I meant. The PU coating came later and I guess it doesn't fit well with the existing diameter of hole. There is a bushing in the centre hole that was initially included to stop wear of the depower line, but now that its coated, the two plastic materials likely bind a bit too easily.
I'm not sure there's still a plastic insert in the barhole...

But yeah, it sticks, and I'm wondering if the latest version, or the OR/Gin/Peter Lynn versions do it as well...

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:56 pm

I use bars that were designed for sheathed centre lines (Ozone V4) but use bare 5mm Dyneema rope for my trim line and never get any binding/jams. I splice the trim line rope up to the cleat which creates one line of about 7mm diameter so there's only one line plus the flag out going through the hole in the bar.

chalks
Rare Poster
Local Beach: UK south coast
Gear: Alpha 12m; Reos 5, 7 and 9. Surfboard and Moses foil

Postby chalks » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:18 pm

iriejohn,
That seems like a good idea. Don't suppose you could put up a photo?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:29 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:56 pm
I use bars that were designed for sheathed centre lines (Ozone V4) but use bare 5mm Dyneema rope for my trim line and never get any binding/jams. I splice the trim line rope up to the cleat which creates one line of about 7mm diameter so there's only one line plus the flag out going through the hole in the bar.
Ozones (the blue/black) are an option too if I can't find anything else.

I'm probably going to splice a 4mm line into itself, will result in 5.5mm so it sits very tight into a 8/1.25 PU tube, and I still have a loop on one side to attach it to the CL assembly I'm gonna use. Safetyline is gonna be covered too, probably a 4/0.75 PU tube. 3/0.5 is an option too.

I'm affraid it will be too thick for the BWS bar grip...

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:10 pm

You plan to cover both lines with PU tube? I can't imagine that would be smooth sheeting through any bar.

OT and just my opinion.

PU tube is unnecessary and in my case undesirable. I get that it looks more OEM, but its like so many dongles on bars that can in some cases pose more hazard than they solve.

Being able to see the depower and safety line condition is pretty important to me. Easy sheeting while turning is also pretty nice. These things need servicing on the semi regular and efforts to cover them up in attempt to convince users that its all good foreva, is dangerous when dealing with the average kiter.... who would rather sell something on than learn to service it.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:20 pm

Agree ^^^

Return to “Kitesurfing”