Begin Driftfly launch 1.JPG
Begin Driftfly launch 1.JPG (116.28 KiB) Viewed 4691 times

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitezilla » Sun May 28, 2006 5:44 pm

The last 2 drawings:

The kite is then launched using the standard 5 line relaunch technique. The whole precedure can be done by standing in one place in shallow water......after some practice in a safe area....by an experienced kiter. This kind of stuff is not for rookies!

In developing this technique, I have attempted to conform to the KISSASS principle, rather than the common KISS (keep it simple stupid) princple, which is so commonly touted as warning and reprimand. The KISSASS corrolary states: "Keep It Slow, Safe, And Somewhat Simple"....Let's face it,....kiting can never be simple, only somewhat simple.

If there is any interest in this DriftFly procedure, I am willing to expand on any aspect of it. I am waiting for some bow kites to arrive to see what the possibilities of using this technique with that style kite. I have only use "C" kites so far (10M, 12M, 17M and 20M).
Attachments
all lines unwound from bar & ready to launch.JPG
all lines unwound from bar & ready to launch.JPG (119.36 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
4 lines loose & kite rises.JPG
4 lines loose & kite rises.JPG (119.28 KiB) Viewed 4669 times

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FredBGG » Sun May 28, 2006 5:59 pm

While your on the subject of drift launch and water launch check this stuff out for true 100% water launch NO SHALLOW WATER REQUIRED. Swim out with the kite in the bag....unpack...self inflate....launch and off you go....

Or your boss chucks yoor gear in the water...chucks you in the water..... :o

Photos (scroll down a bit on the page)
http://www.flysurfer-usa.com/old_kites.htm

And check out this video for a laugh :lol:
http://www.kiteforum.tv/storage2/videos ... h_foil.wmv

5 mb

Cheers

Fred

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Sun May 28, 2006 10:38 pm

Here's a four line drift launch mechanism I made about 4 years ago that I used to use to drift launch a Fuel 14. Worked great except when it got clogged with seaweed.

Shit for brains Four Line drift launch mechanism

A ring is placed on any line (red line in this case) that allows the other three lines to be slack when the line is attached to a quick release on the leading edge of the kite.

A quick release pin is attached to another line (yellow in this case) so that it is not under tension. The kite is placed LE down in the water and the rider starts letting the lines off the bar. The load of the kite during this time is on the RED line (it's the shortest line).

When the lines are off the bar the rider then engages the quick release by pulling on the yellow line. Kite is free to fly.

The setup consists of laying out your lines, attaching the red line ring to the quick release as well as the yellow line pin. and then re-winding your lines onto the bar.
Attachments
4line-drift-launch.jpg
4line-drift-launch.jpg (39.42 KiB) Viewed 4580 times
QR.jpg
QR.jpg (56.63 KiB) Viewed 4579 times

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Mon May 29, 2006 3:43 am

Kitezilla,very good post.Many guys at our beach,all 15 ft of it ,drift launch.
Back in the day we developed this because there simply was very few kiter's.What I do is very simple.Set the kite up,leading edge down,lines extended.Drag the kite to the bar,then into the water leading edge down.Get a safe distance.Then,sink the leading edge to get some water on it.Let the kite go.It stays on the water,lines get tight ,launch kite.It can be done with C's or Bow's.I've done this in light wind and strong wind.
I've not done this in a shore break/wave situation.This a lake with 1/2 foot chop near the launch.
Most times when we do surf at beaches,usually there is someone to assist in the launch.I've only ever sanded my kite a couple times myself.My first couple years kiting,I drift launched almost all the time.

h2odiesel
Rare Poster

Postby h2odiesel » Mon May 29, 2006 3:50 pm

Kitezilla,
I'd really appreciate seeing some more details of your drift system. Whenever there is good wind wifey wants to go sailing on our sloop and I want to go to the kite beach. With some practice I maybe able to lauch from our boat and we can both get our wind fix together.\

Bob

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Mon May 29, 2006 5:47 pm

h2odiesel wrote:Kitezilla,
I'd really appreciate seeing some more details of your drift system. Whenever there is good wind wifey wants to go sailing on our sloop and I want to go to the kite beach. With some practice I maybe able to lauch from our boat and we can both get our wind fix together.\

Bob
Bob,

I haven't done this type of launch from a boat. I think that there would be better ways to do it. With the Driftfly launch, you stand in one place on the shore or shallow water, just like you would in a boat, but the big difference is that, on a boat, there are too many things for the lines to tangle on near the gunnels, plus the rocking of the boat, and the possible banging of your shins. I don't have a boat, so I haven't worked out a way to launch from a boat. There have been a lot of posts on Kiteforum on boat launching though if you do a search.

However the "marriage counseler" in me says: "stay on the boat with your wife". Quality time....you know...

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Mon May 29, 2006 6:30 pm

What happened to the TurboLauncher? Did it work?

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Mon May 29, 2006 11:04 pm

Sea&Sun wrote:What happened to the TurboLauncher? Did it work?
I think that they used the TurboLauncher sucessfully at the Virgin Airline celebration at Squamish last summer. If one used it to launch from a boat, then that would solve the problem of what to do with the device after you are done launching... just leave it in the boat.

The TurboLaucher won't work with the DriftFly launch procedure as well as using the bar to store and dispense the line...for the following reason: It does not stop the dispensing of the 4 lines at short (10 foot) intervals. The solid and automatic, stopping of the line by the half hitch knot every 5 windings of the 4 lines, is necessary to make the kite descend to the water, and allow the kiter to make any adjustments to the lines, and in addition, to enable the 5th line to go slack so that it can easily be unwound in preparation for releasing the kite to its next 10 foot section of lines, enabling the kite to ascend in a controled manner. Each ascent of the kite is needed to allow the kiter to observe the lines for any line tangles or snags of seaweed, which, by jiggling the 5th line, may need to be shaken off the lines. Seaweed is a common problem causing the fouling up of many conventional "drift launch" techniques, where the kite stays in the water throughout the whole procedure, where it can accumulate a load of seaweed, knitting and knotting the lines together.

The Turbolauncher was designed to control the lines and to dispense them in a smooth, rapid motion, to the full legnth of the lines. I think that the device works well in that capacity. It also was designed to enable kiters to be less "rude" at the beach, by keeping their lines wound up and out of the other kiters way. If the Drift/Fly launch ever became popular (which I doubt it will), then, a modification could be done to the TurboLauncher to incorporate a braking device for the 4 lines and a separate cone section devoted to the windings of the separate 5th line. I don't see the need for that, since the normal bar works fine (with the slight modification of "ears"). If anyone is interested, I will post a picture of the "ears".

Hiero Blend
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hiero Blend » Tue May 30, 2006 12:00 am

I'm interested in seeing these "ears". I just got my hands on an old turbo launcher and was thinking of using behind my skiff. But I'm a bit nervous about learning the hard way of what can go wrong.

Return to “Kitesurfing”