Way to self launch in rocky area

Forum for kitesurfers
dirkydiggler
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Way to self launch in rocky area

Postby dirkydiggler » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:56 am

We don't have many good launch spots at some of our local lakes and I have been trying to figure out a good way to do this. I came up with having a buoy that would support the kite, something like a tire with a weight on it to keep it on the ground, while its in the water. Resting the kite against this you could unwind your lines without worrying if your kite is goind to powerup or not. Once you get the lines squared up, you could walk upwind until the kite is free of the bouy. Then just do a relaunch. The buoy doubles as a slider when your up and going. If your good enough I imagine you could land the kite the same way. A bit harder, but likely possible with some skill. The water is too cold here for me to try this out, but would like some thought before I try this anyway. Advice welcome!
Dirk

Mulholland
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mulholland » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:22 am

turbo launcher...or move.

dirkydiggler
Medium Poster

Postby dirkydiggler » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:01 am

I guess I'll move. Nah, I might have to pick up the turbo launcher. I haven't heard much on the forum about it, but just did a quick search. Still have to find a way to self land, though.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:13 am

turbo launchers work well if the wind isnt full on, slight wind shadow is ideal.

friends of mine have a "kite net" , they set the kite in the net. walk out the lines and up they go. its not the kinda thing you can take with you though.

another friend... prerig on pavement, loop lines in big figure 8 inside kite. walk in water with it all. slowly feed out line with one hand while other holds bar and kite, walking away the whole time ot keep lines clean. when lines payed out. put kite le down, facing wind and let it drift away. again, with wind shadow this is ok, in full on, your looking at a mess.

best solution is a kite buddy, two people can launch two kites anywhere.
or better yet get a kite bitch and youll have a pickup vehicle waitn after your downwinder!!

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Way to self launch in rocky area

Postby kitezilla » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:22 pm

[quote="dirkydiggler"]We don't have many good launch spots at some of our local lakes and I have been trying to figure out a good way to do this.

Hey Dirk,

Welcome to the club of “Eccentric Solo Kite Launchingâ€Â

kitesurf-ripper
Frequent Poster
Gear: Whatever I find ;)

Postby kitesurf-ripper » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:48 pm

Get a bow kite :lol:

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:40 pm

I know that there are guys that launch flysurfers from the water.
I swa some photos of Armin swimming out with the kite still in the backpack. He pulled it out and unrolled it in the water holding the vents to the wind. Once enough wind to flaot was in it he let it drift and then launched.

Here's the link to a video of a Speed self water launch.

http://www.kiteforum.tv/index.php?optio ... f21d32bf98

Cheers

Fred

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:11 pm

dirki...what kind of kite? it's hard for anyone to give good advice without knowing what your riding.

fred...yea, armins video is cool, but it's like a video of tiger woods hitting a 2 iron 254 yards with a slight fade and hitting the green. can be done, but not by mere mortals.

i think dirki brings up a great point...often it's not the launch that is difficult, but landing safely.

dirkydiggler
Medium Poster

Postby dirkydiggler » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:36 am

Thanks for the reading assignments. I'll get to it tonight.
When I talk of launching like this, I am using a bow kite. No way would I try this with a C kite. I like the net idea, sounds even easier. Yes, I am talking about a permanent or semi-permanent installation. So, I wouldn't have to take it with me everywhere. I suppose taking a volleyball net setup around wouldn't be too hard anyway. Easy setup and take down. Wouldn't be as much fun to rail slide though.
Dirk

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:30 am

but not by mere mortals.
I'll take that as a compliment.

I used to kite on Clark's Hill Lake outside Augusta GA and Lanier north of ATL where the trees come right up to the water. Flysurfer was the only way to go and I was the only kiter there for some time. The GK sonics were the first non-foil to make it on the lake.

I think wetstuff's bowtender and flysurfer's drift launch are your best bets, or do what I did: move.

Jake

Return to “Kitesurfing”