Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Question about first kite

Forum for kitesurfers
Maddok
Rare Poster
Local Beach: I'm from Southeastern Michigan, so any of the great lakes are open as well as lake st. clair and a multitude of smaller inland lakes.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question about first kite

Postby Maddok » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:17 pm

Hey guys I just joined up a little while ago and have been searching around the boards for an answer but can't seem to find one. There seems to be alot of trainer kites out there, ranging from 1.8-3.6 square meters, all different brands and sizes, some 2 line and some four line. I've flown my neighbor's two line trainer a few times now and have gotten the hang of it, but I think its about time I get my own trainer, so that brings me to my question.

What I'm wondering is should I go for a 2 line or a 4 line? I've read that although a 2 line is easier to learn on, because it doesn't pilot like a full sized 4 line kite, it makes it tough to change from trainer to full kite, is this true?

Also from everything I've read the beamer TSR seems to be an awesome deal, 3.6 square meters, control bar, lines, and bag all included for an average price of right around 300. Is this kite too big for me to learn on, because if not I think it would be nice to be able to use my first kite as a traction kite for land boarding as well, thus less money spent over all.

Thanks alot in advance, and if these questions have already been answered on this board and I just missed them, sorry, just throw me a link to the thread and I'll have a look, otherwise, cheers!

-Jake

fprintf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Longbeach, Stratford, CT USA
Compo, Westport, CT USA
East Beach, Charlestown, RI USA
Favorite Beaches: Ninigret Pond, Charlestown, RI USA
Great Salt Pond, Block Island, RI USA
Vanderbilt Beach, Naples, FL USA
Style: None yet!
Gear: None yet!

Re: Question about first kite

Postby fprintf » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:25 pm

As a newbie with a 2.8/3M Best trainer, I can tell you that it is more than large enough to get some serious pull. Unless you are practicing in very light wind, I think 3M is the right size. Last weekend I flew a 2M with another newbie, we traded on and off, and it was amazing how fast and easy flying a 2M kite was. Windspeed was 10 - 20 mph, quite gusty. The 2M felt like I could fly it all day, whereever I wanted in the power zone without too much concern, whereas the 3M felt like it would pull me off my feet if I accidentally went too deep into the zone.

As for 2 line vs. 4 line, I'll let others answer that except to say that almost all of the local guys have trained on a 2 line and are none the worse for wear. For the additional $150 that the 4 line will cost you, it might make more sense to put it toward lessons. One other thing, the 4 line might be better for you if you land/snow kite because you can use the 4 line, hooked in, and the 3.6m is an appopriate size for scooting across a frozen lake in the typically higher winter winds.

Still, I went through the same decision process a few weeks ago and ended up with trainer I have. Except for being somewhat jealous at some folks being able to practice hooking in and dragging along the sand by hook, instead of by pressure on my arms, I am quite happy.

Maddok
Rare Poster
Local Beach: I'm from Southeastern Michigan, so any of the great lakes are open as well as lake st. clair and a multitude of smaller inland lakes.

Postby Maddok » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:21 pm

Ah alright thanks alot. I was actually flying one of those best 2.8/3m kites the other day in really high winds, I know they do have quite a bit of pull, enough to drag my 215 pound friend across the ground! The only reason I was real interested in the TSR was because A it was a 4 line kite thus preparing me better for actual kite flying, and B I could use it for snow/ground kiting.

I also just thought up of another question; Are used kites a good idea? You can save alot of cash buying them but it just seems like a real bad idea seeing as they accumulate wear and tear really easily. Also are the repairs on these kites expensive? Because if they are not relatively expensive I cannot think of a problem with used kites. Again thanks for the help

fprintf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Longbeach, Stratford, CT USA
Compo, Westport, CT USA
East Beach, Charlestown, RI USA
Favorite Beaches: Ninigret Pond, Charlestown, RI USA
Great Salt Pond, Block Island, RI USA
Vanderbilt Beach, Naples, FL USA
Style: None yet!
Gear: None yet!

Postby fprintf » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:09 am

Some say that you should buy a used Bow/SLE kite to learn on since you will crash your first kite anyway. Better to put the wear and tear on a used kite.

But I saw the other side of that argument this past weekend. Unless you know what you are buying, and have some experienced person to help you buy it, beware. We had a guy show up at the launch this weekend with an eBay special. Leaking air bladders, one line shorter than the rest, and a very heavy homemade plywood board. He only just avoided having a kitemare, as he was dragged across the beach on very short lines (he shortened the rest) attached to a C-kite, because the wind was blowing across the dunes on a sand spit and the kite collapsed before he reached the waterline. After watching that, I will never buy anything off eBay. He thought he had scored a good deal "everything you see here for $300!" he said with pride. It was junk that never should have been resold.

Maddok
Rare Poster

Postby Maddok » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:30 pm

Yeah thats what I was worried about. I didn't want to drop 400 bucks on a used kite only for it to fall apart on me on my third run. Although on the other hand some of them are going for as cheap as 150, which is worth it for the bar and lines alone, which makes a tempting deal...

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:02 am

Maddok wrote:Ah alright thanks alot. I was actually flying one of those best 2.8/3m kites the other day in really high winds, I know they do have quite a bit of pull, enough to drag my 215 pound friend across the ground! The only reason I was real interested in the TSR was because A it was a 4 line kite thus preparing me better for actual kite flying, and B I could use it for snow/ground kiting.

I also just thought up of another question; Are used kites a good idea? You can save alot of cash buying them but it just seems like a real bad idea seeing as they accumulate wear and tear really easily. Also are the repairs on these kites expensive? Because if they are not relatively expensive I cannot think of a problem with used kites. Again thanks for the help
Do not confuse the TSR with a "4-line" kite. Yes the TSR has 4 lines, but it does not function the same way that a 4-line sheetable foil or 4-line inflatable kite works.

If you want further guidance on the best way to go into this properly send me a PM.

Return to “Kitesurfing”