Favorite Beaches: Umhloti Beach, Durban, South Africa
Tekweni Beach, Durban, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot RPM. Is 3 Struts Enough?

Postby richswing » Wed May 06, 2009 4:22 am

Hey Guys,

Can anybody explain how the bridle system works on the RPM, I think it adjusts the tension on the LE when depowered/powered or possible change the tow point slightly????

I need more feedback on the RPM for surfing especially if anybody can compare it against a 08 Nano and also against the REV. How does it charge upwind and down the line, does it fly off the front lines, etc? Generating apparent wind??

Cheers
Rich :bye:

spencero
Rare Poster

Postby spencero » Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 am

shymac wrote: ... I just want to make sure the info I'm putting out is legit and informative. :thumb:
Shy....Happy :crazy2: Cinco de :thumb: Mayo. Tequila on me. :dance:

Yo, IMO ur shiot is legiot. Hope Tony knows what kind of impact ur bringing. This is a unique industry where ur PR makes a big difference. It also helps that SS gear is refined after all these yrs...would be a different story repping gear that sucks.

Who does SS graphics? Nice!

Rex
Frequent Poster

Postby Rex » Wed May 06, 2009 8:44 am

Darn! You're making it hard not to switch to SS :girl: :girl: :girl:

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Wed May 06, 2009 4:43 pm

spencero wrote:
Who does SS graphics? Nice!

:cheers: bro!

Graphics are done by the whole team here at Slingshot. R&D gots the kites, Marketing gots the overall look of Slingshot i.e. soft goods, boards, website.... and Sales makes sure it doesn't all look like crap... HA!.... :prison:

dakaunman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Maumee Bay, OH
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with wind!
Style: Up and riding
Gear: Thruster 16m and working on a full quiver

Postby dakaunman » Thu May 07, 2009 4:43 pm

I tried out the REV 2 down in OBX and loved the kite. I didn't get a chance to try out the RPM. I understand the shape difference but I am not clear on how that effects the the performance. Does the RPM fly a little deeper in the wind window or does it fly closer to the edge of the window? Do they relaunch the same? Everyone says that the RPM is better for unhooked riding so I will take your word on that as I haven't progressed that far yet but plan to. Which kite is faster? I kite the great lakes and have to deal with gusty conditions quite often. Is one kite more stable than the other it gusty conditions? I plan to demo the RPM but even during a demo you don't get to experience all of the conditions that you will encounter over time and I need a kite that is very versitle in all kinds of conditions.
Thanks, Aaron

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Thu May 07, 2009 5:44 pm

dakaunman wrote:I tried out the REV 2 down in OBX and loved the kite. I didn't get a chance to try out the RPM. I understand the shape difference but I am not clear on how that effects the the performance. Does the RPM fly a little deeper in the wind window or does it fly closer to the edge of the window? Do they relaunch the same? Everyone says that the RPM is better for unhooked riding so I will take your word on that as I haven't progressed that far yet but plan to. Which kite is faster? I kite the great lakes and have to deal with gusty conditions quite often. Is one kite more stable than the other it gusty conditions? I plan to demo the RPM but even during a demo you don't get to experience all of the conditions that you will encounter over time and I need a kite that is very versitle in all kinds of conditions.
Thanks, Aaron

RPM in La Ventana- http://www.vimeo.com/3085705

Here is a good link that showcases the RPM in real world conditions.

I think the RPM is a bit quicker and fly's closer to the edge of the window but with regards to steering that all depends on how much bar input you put into the bar. The REV needs very little to start a turn where as the RPM needs just a little bit more. But the setting on the RPM does allow you to increase or decease the amount of input you need and bar pressure. So easy tuning is great to get the kite dialed to your riding style. With that the RPM is much easier to pass the bar because of this; i.e. it is not as twitchy with bar input as you pass.

The REV will relaunch the best out of the two but the RPM does have a pocket in the wing tips to allow you to have the easy relaunch of the REV. Add that and its light weight, it will relaunch in even the lightest winds; if not be able to reverse launch for you if the standard method does not work..

Winter relaunch video- http://www.vimeo.com/3366482

The great thing about the RPM is that it almost has two types of depower. First with the throw of the bar and its shut off; And second with the rider being able to stomp the kite and edge into the wind window to depower it. Seems like a long lost technique but C kites where very good at stomping and this is some of the characteristics you will get from the RPM. Also when pumped up to a good psi the kite will be almost as stable as a 5 line C kite... The bridle and the over all design of the kite really does a great job at handling gusts and very inconstant winds..... and I know the Midwest is know for that...

If you live in the Twin City's area stop by Midwest Mountaineering and ask for Peter Noren. They have RPM's and should be able to answer your questions and maybe even hook you up with a demo. Just tell them shy sent you.

:bigsmall:

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu May 07, 2009 8:35 pm

shymac wrote:...

I think the RPM is a bit quicker and fly's closer to the edge of the window but with regards to steering that all depends on how much bar input you put into the bar. The REV needs very little to start a turn where as the RPM needs just a little bit more. But the setting on the RPM does allow you to increase or decease the amount of input you need and bar pressure. So easy tuning is great to get the kite dialed to your riding style. With that the RPM is much easier to pass the bar because of this; i.e. it is not as twitchy with bar input as you pass.

The REV will relaunch the best out of the two but the RPM does have a pocket in the wing tips to allow you to have the easy relaunch of the REV. Add that and its light weight, it will relaunch in even the lightest winds; if not be able to reverse launch for you if the standard method does not work..

Winter relaunch video- http://www.vimeo.com/3366482

The great thing about the RPM is that it almost has two types of depower. First with the throw of the bar and its shut off; And second with the rider being able to stomp the kite and edge into the wind window to depower it. Seems like a long lost technique but C kites where very good at stomping and this is some of the characteristics you will get from the RPM. Also when pumped up to a good psi the kite will be almost as stable as a 5 line C kite... The bridle and the over all design of the kite really does a great job at handling gusts and very inconstant winds..... .
This is all starting to sound like the "Coke vs. Coke Zero" TV commercials. I think the people at REV2 and the people at FUEL should be filing a feature infringement lawsuit against the people at RPM for stealing all the good ideas.

I'm on REV2s and if I see any RPM guys on my beach, heads are going to roll! :lol: :lol: Damn RPM punks...

Katana
Rare Poster

Postby Katana » Fri May 08, 2009 9:27 am

Hi,

Can anybody who has flown the 10m RPM please comment on the bottom end range please??

I am hopeing to add the 10m RPM to a 7 and 13m Rev and want to swap to the 10m before the 13m Rev is at the top of its wind range,

Thanks.

Kiteosphere
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteosphere » Fri May 08, 2009 12:02 pm

I think you are on to a great fit. Of the RPM quiver you chose the right kite. Besides that the 10M RPM is one of my favorites to fly. I've owned all size REVs and currently own all size RPMs and flown them all extensively. You'll be very happy with that choice.

ElHombre
Medium Poster

Postby ElHombre » Fri May 08, 2009 12:19 pm

Another Question -
Can you use an 8 and 12 RPM with the same bar length?
And/or is it possible to use other bars with the RPM´s

???

Thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”